Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Hello again after a long absence.

More
23 Jan 2012 20:29 - 23 Jan 2012 20:34 #1 by Processor (Niall O'Leary)
Hello all. I haven't been around for a couple of years.
I changed my freshwater tanks about 2 years ago and went marine with the help of Andy in Aquarium Solutions.
Have had to change back to fresh as I can't afford to keep the marine going at the moment-austerity central .

Glad to be back into fresh though as you can do more than marine. By that I mean breeding,planting and perhaps being a little careless at times and getting away with it.
I am using the Rio 240 which I filled with water and started cycling on Friday last so starting from scratch again.
Oh the fun of waiting for a tank to cycle....its all comming back to me now.

I have some marine stuff to get rid of so I will post that in the relevant section over the next week or so.

Processor.
Last edit: 23 Jan 2012 20:34 by Processor (Niall O'Leary).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2012 20:33 #2 by dave k (david)
well come back processor...

.·´¯`·.. >`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸>
>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸>

More
23 Jan 2012 20:39 #3 by des (des)
welcome back to freshwater fish keeping and to the Forum
what kind of set up are You going for ?
a nice planted tank can be every bit as nice as a nice Marine tank... :)

Des

More
23 Jan 2012 21:24 #4 by Processor (Niall O'Leary)
Thanks Bibs and Des.

I'll probably go back to the same set up as before but I would like some more plants.
Had no success with plants last time as my 4 monster Silver Dollars demolished them.

It's gas...those 4 Dollars, 2 Bala Shark and my 2 Clown Loach are still going strong in 6 foot tank down in Doon, Co.Limerick. The Bala's were like small trout when I had them and they are like flippin' Salmon now.

I'll probably just add bits and pieces as I go along without any particular plan but I'll keep ye posted.

Processor.

PS> Even after all these years of fish keeping I still expect to make some monumental but basic mistakes so I am not too proud to post them as well !!

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Jan 2012 21:27 #5 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: Hello again after a long absence.
Howdy Processor.

Kev.

More
23 Jan 2012 22:50 #6 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
welcome mate keep us posted how u get on woth it and also post some pics

sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving

More
23 Jan 2012 23:10 #7 by m4r10 (m4r10)
Good luck with your project and don't be afraid to post any mistakes done along the way, we can all learn from them ;)

More
27 Jan 2012 23:13 #8 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Maybe I joined the forum since your last visit....so I'll say 'Hi'.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
27 Jan 2012 23:26 #9 by lawlessr (Ross Lawless)
new to the site today myself i understand how expensive marine tanks can be dabbled a little in it myself it had to go freshwater all the way.

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds