Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Hello

More
16 Feb 2012 07:42 #1 by seejay (chuck jenkins)
Hello was created by seejay (chuck jenkins)
Hello Everyone, I just joined Irish Fish Keepers. I'm 70 years young. Got into fish keeping quite by
accident. I had a lung transplant 6 years ago and having pets is sort of frowned upon because of the
dander and the such, and living with a supressed immune system one can easily pick up an infection easily.

I decided to get a small aquarium, a few fish, and rapidly learned that filling the tank with water and
adding some fish is a recipe for frustration. I learned the hard way. Any way I went from a 55 litre
aquarium to a 120 litre community tank which is working nicely so far.

It's comforting to know that you guys are there if one needs advice or help or whatever.
I'm not going to talk for Ireland and get outta here. Hope to be chatting to some of you soon.
Seejay

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2012 07:55 - 16 Feb 2012 07:56 #2 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
welcome seejay,
it dosent matter how young you are you've now into one of the most addictive hobby's there is... you have been warned, dont mind your level of expierence here as we have people of many different skill sets on this forum and heck we all had to start somewhere, loooks like the bug has kicked in with you going from a 55l to a 120l tank and its a bug that no medicine can cure :) believe me i've tried and failed on that one :woohoo: :cheer: anyway enjoy the forum, most problems can be solved in the beginners section or if you have a specific question please feel free to ask, remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask.. we're a great community here and i hope you will have fun and contribute to discussions with your own expierences and insights, as its true in fishkeeping what works for one will not for another..
again welcome and enjoy
Seamus

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep
Last edit: 16 Feb 2012 07:56 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie).

More
16 Feb 2012 08:50 #3 by wastegate (Joseph Farrell)
Welcome along Seejay.

I also went from a 55l to a 120l tank and I found it easier to manage better water conditions with the larger tank. You will get lots of good advice on this forum, you just have to ask. Best of luck and enjoy the hobby :)

You know you're addicted to fishkeeping when...you spend €200 to accomodate a €5 fish.

More
16 Feb 2012 10:37 #4 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
Welcome to the forum Seejay!

Melander

More
16 Feb 2012 10:46 #5 by Ski (Alan McGee)
Replied by Ski (Alan McGee) on topic Re: Hello
Welcome aboard Seejay! You've already been warned about the addictiveness.

Next thing we'll hear you're getting a 260 litre and then it'll be a 500+ litre until you have a tank in each room and it takes a day to do all the water changes :)

Best of luck with it.

Alan.

More
16 Feb 2012 11:28 - 16 Feb 2012 11:29 #6 by dave k (david)
Replied by dave k (david) on topic Re: Hello
Welcome to the forum Seejay! true about the addictiveness f the hobby i went from 120L to 450L to 910L.... what do you have in your tank? how long is the 120L up and running? what problems did you encounter when you first set your 55L and did you avoid them in the 120L,any way see you later on the forum. ;)

dave.

.·´¯`·.. >`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸>
>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸>
Last edit: 16 Feb 2012 11:29 by dave k (david).

More
16 Feb 2012 12:13 #7 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)
Welcome to the forum Seejay great to have you with us.

Mark

More
16 Feb 2012 16:26 #8 by seejay (chuck jenkins)
Replied by seejay (chuck jenkins) on topic Re: Hello
Hi Dave,

The motley crew in my tank are:
3 Angels
2 Black Mollies
2 White Mollies
3 Emperor Tetras
6 Neon Tetras
1 Some Kinda fighting fish who is an absolute coward
always hiding behind the filter...

All get along well except the angels, they have a spat a couple times a day.
No harm it gives them something to do.

SEEJAY

More
16 Feb 2012 17:11 #9 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
Welcome seejay

More
16 Feb 2012 18:42 #10 by ghart (Greg Hart)
Replied by ghart (Greg Hart) on topic Re: Hello
Welcome to the forum SEEJAY

Greg

More
16 Feb 2012 18:59 #11 by ger310 (Ger .)
Replied by ger310 (Ger .) on topic Re: Hello
Welcome along seejay and all the best......As for the Angels,they might be pairing off so keep an eye on them as things can get pretty ferocious......As for the coward,siamese fighting fish(Betta) maybe!!

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
16 Feb 2012 19:01 #12 by seejay (chuck jenkins)
Sorry I didn't finish answering your queations earlier. was interupted. Aftersetting up the 55L tank
stocked it with some goldfish. Before i knew it whitespot was rampant, then came algae, then the water looked like someone poured milk in it. Meds for the white spot killed 8 of the 10 goldfish. finally got the algae and the "white" water resolved. from that point on all was as it should be. Then I got the itch
for a larger tank and more fish.

I used most of the water and filter from the 50L to hasten the maturing process. Been 3 weeks and so far
everything is perfect. Long may it continue.

Cheers. Chuck (SEEJAY)

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Feb 2012 19:23 #13 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: Hello
Welcome Chuck,

If you need any guidance or help everyone will be happy to help out, it usually becomes more than a Forum, it tends to get deeper than that, lots of Members have made good friends here and you'll find you'll end up in the same Boat.

I hope you are feeling better and well on the mend.

Kev.

More
16 Feb 2012 20:31 #14 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
welcome to the forum cj,enjoy :cheer:

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
17 Feb 2012 06:29 #15 by seejay (chuck jenkins)
Thanks Kev,
I have gone past being on the mend. I received a single lung transplant 6 yrs ago. Now the other lung is getting nasty so life gets interesting again. I'm ever so greatful to my donor and his family who had to make the decision to donate, especially at a time extreme angst. The had some big stones. They showed alot of caring, kindness, courage and love to make that decision.
Adios, Time for the morning dose of the chemical soup that keeps me on the move.

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds