Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Sup Y'all!

More
21 Feb 2012 19:40 #1 by daveo85 (Dave)
Sup Y'all! was created by daveo85 (Dave)
Hi All
My names Dave, just joined the site this weekend.

Been keeping fish on and off for about 5 years now - with some success and some pretty epic failures!
Ive just started up a 60 litre biorb tropical freshwater

Its been cycling for 5 weeks now, last week I introduced 6 Neon Tetras - after no fatalities and everyone settling in comfortably I decided to introduce 6 Harlequin Rasboras on Saturday.....

All hell has now broken loose! The rasboras are now speeding around the tank in shoal formation (literally around it in a corcle given the shape of the tank) - the Neon Tetras seem to be a bit stressed and unsure what to do with themselves - one or two try to shoal with the harlequins, the others hide. I have not seen them all together since Sunday evening.

One is now also swimming pretty erratically - i have tested the water myself and also had it tested by my retailer on Saturday - PH nitrate and ammonia were all fine & still did a partial water change Sat evening after addiding the new fish.

Getting worried about fatalities and the welfare of the neons - anyone have any ideas what i should or can do?

Maybe the community will settle ina few days?

I have kept the species together before with no problems.

Any advice would be great!!

Nice to meet you all, :P

Dave.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Feb 2012 20:10 #2 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: Sup Y'all!
Welcome Dave.

Can you place a tall growing Plant or Plants in their path to break up their gallop?

Kev.

More
21 Feb 2012 21:46 #3 by JSleator (Jason Sleator)
Hello and welcome, newish on here myself, just starting back into the hobby. Looking at getting tetras and harlequins myself. I think Kevs idea is a good one, even a plastic plant for a few days to see if it breaks things up a bit in the orb!

More
22 Feb 2012 08:52 #4 by wastegate (Joseph Farrell)
Welcome along mate, hope all settles down for you soon.

You know you're addicted to fishkeeping when...you spend €200 to accomodate a €5 fish.

More
22 Feb 2012 22:21 #5 by daveo85 (Dave)
Replied by daveo85 (Dave) on topic Re: Sup Y'all!
Thanks folks!

Things seem to be settling down a little bit - they all seem to be shoaling together now which isnt so bad. I took the idea of breaking up their circuit by repositioning a plant (plastic) and they seem a bit calmer.

The neon that was swimming erratically also died at some point today and another is now the same but not as bad. Temperature currently 26C and water stats seem fine.

Any ideas?? Stress????

Thanks guys :(

More
22 Feb 2012 22:54 #6 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
Replied by BlueRam (Sean Crowe) on topic Re: Sup Y'all!
welcome along mate

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving

Time to create page: 0.040 seconds