Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

hey everyone so i inherited some fish

More
15 Jun 2013 00:00 #1 by collywobbles (colm moans)
hey everyone so inherited some fish in what can only be described as a Chinese bucket a resun it held about 12 ltrs less probably considering the ornaments 20 odd guppy's a pleco and a suicidal sucker fish named sheldon
who is no longer with us after an excursion out of the tank while we were out it was enough to make my missus agree to my originally stupid idea of getting my old juwel lido 120 out of my mothers attic.
i get my old tank home clean it fill it check the equipment and find a broken power head no filter media substrate all borrowed by my little sister.
any who set up the tank with some leftover rounded stone from b&q an improvised filter an old gravel cleaner some filter sponge and an air stone fill the tank with some concoctions from the pet shop to cycle it quicker leave it running for bout a week.
moving day swap over ornaments to the exact locations set out by my tyrannical three year old.and the pump a trixie m380 from the Chinese bucket that will eventually become a fry tank.
So will the fishys as there called here have enough filtration for the next few weeks monts ? until i get the money to kit out the internal filter again the air pumps rated for 50 gallons
any advise welcome along with a cheap place to get juwel products local pet shop is pricey and on lines not an option

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 Jun 2013 00:04 #2 by collywobbles (colm moans)
i forgot the pictures :hammer:
Attachments:

More
15 Jun 2013 00:34 - 15 Jun 2013 00:37 #3 by JohnH (John)
Firstly welcome to the Forum.
If I understand you correctly you have set up the 120 with filtration (air powered) from the small 'tank' you have inherited?
If this is the case, and the only fish you have are those in the pics then you should have no real problems. I, personally, would hold off getting any more fish and only feed those you have the minimum for a week or so to allow the bacteria to build up to the water volume of the new (considerably larger) tank.
The air-driven filtration will do until you can get the Juwel internal up and running again. Lots of people use air-driven filters to the exclusion of any other filtration - I myself use a combination of air and power filters (but not in the same tank, I hasten to add.
If you don't have an up-to-dated water testing kit can I respectfully suggest this should be your very first purchase as it is really important to monitor your water.
Does anyone have any more suggestions for Colly?

John
...ps, I think you will find that Juwel spares aren't the cheapest of options to buy and may find difficulties getting them at a 'cut price'.

Many of the Sponsors here stock the spares give some a ring, that's my advice.

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 15 Jun 2013 00:37 by JohnH (John). Reason: added postscript

More
15 Jun 2013 09:40 #4 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
If the power head and media are gone you may be better off with a new filter. You could get a JBL i100 from seahorse.

More
15 Jun 2013 10:02 #5 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Oh! And welcome to the forum

More
16 Jun 2013 15:22 #6 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
Hi Colly welcome to the forums,

I'd have a look at the sale, swap, wanted sections, most of the stuff you need to kit out your internal juwel you'll probably find there at pretty cheap prices.Most people will remove the internals from the juwel tanks and replace them, alot of these pump heads are lying around in people sheds going to waste. .(I find them very noisey tbh).

As John said water test kit should be first on the list and keep feeding to a minimum until the water perameters are right.It's more important to have surface disturbance on the water than to have air stone/bubbles, keeps the water oxygenated.

Stuart.

Multi tasking: Screwing up more than one thing at a time.

More
17 Jun 2013 20:58 #7 by davey_c (dave clarke)
Hey colly, twas nice to meet you today pal and best of luck with your new filter. Make sure and run the old and new filters together for a few weeks as to give the bacteria a chance to colonise in the new or you will end up with an ammonia spike. You could also squeeze the old over the inlet strainer of the new so it gets a chance to suck in bacteria and helps the process get on its way.
Sure let us know how you get on and test the water ;)

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
17 Jun 2013 22:02 #8 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
hello and welcome
Did you take your broken power head apart ?
i had one that was not working,
it might just be the propeller that is stuck or clogged up.

Something fishie going on here

More
19 Jun 2013 18:31 #9 by collywobbles (colm moans)
hey davey thanks again, i put the sponge filter i was using in the spare tray with some filter start and im still using the trixie pump have to test the water later, got a few sick fishys i turned my heater down without noticing must have done it when i got rid of the ugly juwel filter box,temp dropped a few degrees only noticed it in the morning think a few have fin rot and/or fungus,any who water flow is great and no more moss floating about
nice meeting you to

More
19 Jun 2013 20:23 #10 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
hey colly welcome to the forum

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
16 Jul 2013 10:33 #11 by collywobbles (colm moans)
thanks every one for the welcomes and advice. Its been a month now and the fish love the bigger tank lots of fry and the addition of another common pleco ill try post a picture later see if some1 can enlighten me i need some suggestions for plants the tank is pretty high thanks again

More
17 Jul 2013 09:14 #12 by dannyb (Daniel Byrne)
Welcome along man

off topic but i don't suppose you are a mechanic are you, its just your username reminds me of a lad i know

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds