Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Hi fellow fishkeepers

More
02 Jul 2013 20:20 #1 by Tiger Perch (Gearóid)
Hi everyone I'm Gearóid

I'm new to fishkeeping, have been reading up on it of late and have always wanted an aquarium but have'tn had the opportunity until now due to constantly moving with work. Settled into my new house now so after months of reading and vacillating I finally made the firm decision to purchase an aquarium. After weeks of searching I got a good deal on a 180 litre Juwel Vision complete with bow shaped front and multiple accessories.

15 fish came with it 11 Neon Tetra's 2 angelfish and 2 that the previous owner identified as Zebra Otocinclus. We moved the tank and retained somewhere in the region of 20 to 25% of the original water. When we got to my place the previous owner who kindly set it up for me and explained things in detail put some water from the tap with with some de-chlorinator added. The fish meantime had travelled in a bucket and the little Neons were not impressed (showing so by going all drab with stress and dissappointment.) Anyway filter re-attached and working again the tank appeared fine I waited till the temperature was about 22 and introdued the fishes. Thankfully today they appear fine although I'm a little worried about the angelfish as according to one of my books they can be delicate and hard to look after.

Anyway that's enough from me for now I'm sure I'll be in touch soon though lot's of questions and if I can't find the answer in the Beginners haven I will be on to ye, oh here are a few pics so ye get the idea of my new set up.

G.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
02 Jul 2013 21:06 #2 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Hi

Welcome aboard good luck with the new tank and fish. Well done pics already :)

More
02 Jul 2013 21:15 #3 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Hello and welcome.

Stephen.

More
02 Jul 2013 21:22 #4 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
Hi welcome to the forum,

Nice tank to start off with :) . we do love pictures around here lol. The angles should be fine they are not as delicate as you'd think. First thing you need to do is get a good water testing kit, as long as your water is within the accepted perameters the fish will be fine.Once your happy with the water I'd add some bottom feeder fish to help hover up any uneaten food.

Stuart.

Multi tasking: Screwing up more than one thing at a time.

More
02 Jul 2013 23:32 #5 by Stem12 (Stephen M)
Welcome,
and good luck with the new setup man,

Stephen M.

Juwel Vision 260-
20ltr-Fluval Spec-
19ltr-Fluval Chi-

Keep The Water Fresh-

More
03 Jul 2013 10:30 #6 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Hi and welcome to the forum as mentioned above most important thing you have to do for now is get a test kit this will keep ur Fish alive and get yourself involved fight in the heart of it all best of luck and keep us posted how ur doing, cheers

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
03 Jul 2013 18:18 #7 by Tiger Perch (Gearóid)
Yes, had come to the same conclusion myself ie need a test kit will get one soon and do a little chemical analysis of the water. Fed them for the first time this evening they are certainly healthy at the moment, hovered up their food in no time! :)

More
03 Jul 2013 18:24 #8 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Welcome along, and good to see the first tank of many. ;)

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
03 Jul 2013 19:56 #9 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)
Hello and welcome, its good to have another member from Galway. I'm sure you know Petra and Pete in The Little Fish Shop back the 'West', good people, very knowledgeable and helpful.

More
04 Jul 2013 18:43 #10 by Tiger Perch (Gearóid)
Funny you should say that popped in there this evening and Pete was very helpful, it's definately my local in any case only live round the corner from it! :)

Time to create page: 0.047 seconds