Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

MarinusAddictus says hello

More
05 Nov 2013 11:46 #1 by MarinusAddictus (Marius Schudel)
Hi all,

I would like to introduce myself here on the forum so a little about me.
I was born in Switzerland in 1983 and moved to Ireland in 2009 because I fell in love with the westcoast and the sea and wanted a change. Ever since I moved here I was drawn to the sea and try to explore it and learn about its flora and fauna with all its mysteries.

Since I was a child I am fascinated by aquariums and by the way you can just drift away into a world that is completely alien to us. Bringing a “rockpool” into my home was always one of my dreams since I have first gazed into one when I moved here and just recently I have finally managed to do the first step :-)

In my blog (www.irishrockpoolaquarium.com) I want to share my experiences and observations in this adventure of trying to create a rockpool aquarium with native irish marine species.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
05 Nov 2013 13:42 #2 by Homer (Kevin)
Welcome Welcome Welcome

You will be plagued for pics, particularly on this subject!

H.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
05 Nov 2013 13:57 #3 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)
Welcome aboard!

The man you need to talk to is Pete out at Home Aquariums in Atlantiquaria in Salthill. He is a walking encyclopedia on rockpools on the West Coast from Galway to Clifden and beyond.

Good Luck :)

More
05 Nov 2013 13:59 #4 by MarinusAddictus (Marius Schudel)
Cool, Thanks for that. Might pay him a visit maybe this weekend.

More
05 Nov 2013 14:34 #5 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)

Cool, Thanks for that. Might pay him a visit maybe this weekend.

Problem is, he's only there on Monday and Tuesday.

More
05 Nov 2013 16:03 #6 by Stem12 (Stephen M)
Hey and welcome,
You'll find lots of decent guys and gals with great info on here :)
Best of luck,

SM

Juwel Vision 260-
20ltr-Fluval Spec-
19ltr-Fluval Chi-

Keep The Water Fresh-

More
05 Nov 2013 19:50 #7 by paulv (paul vickers)
Welcome to the forum. There are a few here with native marine tanks.

More
05 Nov 2013 20:17 #8 by Bullfrog (DECLAN MAC GABHANN)
Dude, welcome aboard, glad to see another native marine keeper. The army of native keepers are growing which is a good thing given the fantastic fish along the shores.

I had a look at your blog and its excellent so well done on that too.

Your mackerel fry intrigue me as they are not normally found inshore under 15cm. Are you sure that the fish are not three spined sticklebacks? The marine variant is usually fully scaled with plates compared to the freshwater which may have no plates along each flank

Regards,

Dec

More
05 Nov 2013 20:46 #9 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
Welcome again.
Think you are number 4 that I know of on the forum Here is the crew. Bullfrog, Joukeder, CrustCrab and yourself, MarinusAddictus.

More
05 Nov 2013 20:57 - 05 Nov 2013 21:00 #10 by MarinusAddictus (Marius Schudel)
Thank you all fo rthe welcome

Your mackerel fry intrigue me as they are not normally found inshore under 15cm. Are you sure that the fish are not three spined sticklebacks? The marine variant is usually fully scaled with plates compared to the freshwater which may have no plates along each flank

To be honest I am not an expert, I wasnt sure myself, thought the only thing it could be where Mackerel. I looked at the three spined stickleback just now and you are definitely right thats what they are! How embarrassing ;-) :blush: Appreciate the feedback. Here is a few better close up pictures its quite obvious now.

Thanks
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Nov 2013 21:00 by MarinusAddictus (Marius Schudel).

More
05 Nov 2013 21:02 #11 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
This is a stickleback.

Hope that helps.
Attachments:

More
05 Nov 2013 21:03 #12 by MarinusAddictus (Marius Schudel)
Attachments:

More
05 Nov 2013 21:16 #13 by MarinusAddictus (Marius Schudel)
definitely Sticklebacks so, I am rather embarrased but also glad as the sticklebacks only get to 6cm so I can keep them if they are happy :)
Thanks guys for pointing me in the right direction

More
05 Nov 2013 21:19 #14 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
Glad to help mate, and if you are passing the Home Aquariums/National Aquarium in Salthill, call in and say "hello"

More
05 Nov 2013 21:30 #15 by MarinusAddictus (Marius Schudel)
Thanks. Will do! Are you there Thursday? Have to pick up stuff in town anyway.

More
05 Nov 2013 21:40 #16 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
Sorry. only there Monday and Tuesday. Work out of Clifden other days

More
05 Nov 2013 21:49 #17 by Bullfrog (DECLAN MAC GABHANN)
They look cool all the same. You should also see some fantastic colour coming onto the spines below the pectorals, I will see if I can upload a shot of them, blood red and gold beside the spine. Deadly looking

More
05 Nov 2013 21:55 #18 by MarinusAddictus (Marius Schudel)
@Bullfrog: definitely really like them, some already have kind of an orangegoldish coming there, amazing. I am just so blown away by the beauty of our native marine world here, the colours are amazing.

@CrustyCrab: Will have to take some time off to get into your place next week would be great to meet.

More
06 Nov 2013 23:49 #19 by kaki alkaki (jenasky)
welcome!!!

More
08 Nov 2013 19:43 #20 by Mr B (C B)
Yoy're welcome along. I'm new myself and live in Mayo. Kept quite quite a few native marine tanks in the past but am thinking of changing. Your photos would persuade me otherwise.

More
09 Nov 2013 09:08 - 09 Nov 2013 09:25 #21 by MarinusAddictus (Marius Schudel)
Thanks thats nice to hear ;) I can only say STAY NATIVE!
Here a few more picture that might help with the persuation...
lots more on my blog www.irishrockpoolaquarium.com
Last edit: 09 Nov 2013 09:25 by MarinusAddictus (Marius Schudel). Reason: pictures added

More
09 Nov 2013 09:27 - 09 Nov 2013 09:31 #22 by MarinusAddictus (Marius Schudel)
sorry having problems uploading...

here again hopefully

Last edit: 09 Nov 2013 09:31 by MarinusAddictus (Marius Schudel).

More
14 Nov 2013 00:52 #23 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Hi and welcome to the forum great looking tank will you put up a full shot of the tank and Trust me crustycrab is the best I've ever seen with info on native marine if I finally get around to setting one up I'm going to have his head wrecked haha ahh no not a bother to him He's great for giving Info

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
18 Nov 2013 17:30 - 18 Nov 2013 17:33 #24 by MarinusAddictus (Marius Schudel)
Thanks a lot jeff, he sure is and there isnt many like that out there!

Here is a recent full tank shot
check out my blog www.irishrockpoolaquarium.com for more pictures and click the follow button on the bottom right if you want to get notified of updates.

still a work in progress, want to add more seaweeds once I found the ones that still grow at the moment.

Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Nov 2013 17:33 by MarinusAddictus (Marius Schudel).

More
18 Nov 2013 20:07 #25 by joe10 (joe nolan)
Welcome to the forum, great photos

More
18 Nov 2013 20:19 #26 by MarinusAddictus (Marius Schudel)
Thanks and Thanks, they are much better quality on my blog (hint) ;-)

More
15 Jan 2014 22:06 #27 by Misses Morlo Mearl (lya de Ruiter)
Hi Marinus,
Your blog and photo's are amazing! Absolute perfect. Also fantastic is the amount of information you shared with us. Thank you.What amazes me as well that you still have a lot of seaweeds growing in your tank. I am hopelessly jealous! Hope to meet you one day in future and do a rock pool session together.
Morlo

More
16 Jan 2014 08:57 #28 by MarinusAddictus (Marius Schudel)
Thanks Morlo! Very nice to hear. I try to share information and my observastions as I liked to read that on other blogs before I started. I am not a scientist so some of the early identifications are wrong but I am learning ;-) I am cheating a little bit with the seaweed as the water is at 15 degrees and 9 hours sunlight so its a good bit warmer than the actual sea temperature, but even so its the seasonal seaweeds that are growing really well. Whenever you are up this way let me know I am usually out once every weekend anyway as I need my fix for my addiction ;-)
Good Luck and thanks your feedback

More
18 Jan 2014 13:10 - 18 Jan 2014 13:10 #29 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
right Morlo and MarinusAddictus, lets check the tides and have a get together on the shore, and we might even drag a few others with us
Last edit: 18 Jan 2014 13:10 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph).

More
18 Jan 2014 19:34 #30 by MarinusAddictus (Marius Schudel)
Thats a great idea! Would really like to meet some people that have the same interest and have a rockpool session together and share experiences. Should we start a new thread on this? Would be great to get a crew together.

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds