Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Hope to be a new fish keeper!

More
20 May 2014 10:32 #1 by Goldilocks (Noeleen E.)
Hello from Dublin 15. I decided to join here because I hope to get myself a decent sized tank when I have a more permanent address. Basically I hope to learn a lot first so I get it right.

I've had cold water fish over the years so would like to have a tropical tank. At the moment I just have a small coldwater setup with Minnows.

Are there many ladies interested in this hobby?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
20 May 2014 11:06 #2 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
None! It's just you!
Actually, there are a couple on the forum but you are a bit of a rarity...

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
20 May 2014 12:31 #3 by Goldilocks (Noeleen E.)
Wow I thought there would be a few! Mind you there are never many ladies in the aquatic section whenever I'm longingly looking at the tanks.

My own mother has a 2ft tank so I guess it runs in the family!

More
20 May 2014 12:40 #4 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
More women on the forum, the better, I say! We need something to balance out all the hairy-knuckled fish nerds... no offense fellas :whistle:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
20 May 2014 12:57 - 20 May 2014 16:50 #5 by JohnH (John)

We need something to balance out all the hairy-knuckled fish nerds :whistle:

Speak for yourself - some of us are quite refined, although some others of us aren't quite so...

Welcome Goldilocks, good luck with your new project, please run a bit of a 'blog' - with illustrations if possible - as you get your tank and set it up.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 20 May 2014 16:50 by JohnH (John).

More
20 May 2014 16:47 #6 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
Welcome aboard Goldie,
Nice to see a local for a change never mind a lady ;)
No offense lads :laugh:
If there's anything you need a hand with let me know,
Sure we're in the same area B)

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
20 May 2014 17:11 #7 by ABdarudeone (Mick)
Haha ..Hairy -knuckled nerds ..good one ;)
Welcome to the forum Goldilocks and hope you are going to enjoy this hobby .. and us EWOKs posting n your topics ;)

**Neither a teacher nor a native speaker**

More
20 May 2014 17:13 #8 by Goldilocks (Noeleen E.)
Ah good stuff. I promise I don't have hairy knuckles!

I would love a new tank right now but I guess moving them won't be easy?

At least by the time I get one I will have a better idea of what I'm doing!

More
20 May 2014 18:00 #9 by JohnH (John)
For what it's worth my personal opinion is that your plan to not get and start a tank until after your house move is the correct one. You'll have enough on your plate without the aggravation of tank-moving and all its associated hassle, especially in the light of it actually only being a recent 'start-up'.
Anyone have any further suggestions for Goldilocks?

John.

ITFS member.

More
20 May 2014 18:27 #10 by Goldilocks (Noeleen E.)
Thank you John. I'm hoping to learn as much as possible here also.

I should also say I have a fish mad child with a life limiting disability who is very curious so I would need a nice sturdy safe setup! I seen the Rio 125 tank in Maxi Zoo & thought that would be an idea.

More
20 May 2014 18:32 #11 by swai (Simon)
Yes rio 125 would be a nice tank to start with. Not too big and not too small. People always seem to go for around 60 litters to start then need to expand within a few months.

Welcome to the forum, i've learned so much from this forum so your in good hands!

Marino, Dublin 9

More
20 May 2014 18:36 - 20 May 2014 18:37 #12 by JohnH (John)
That would be one option, but - since you have some time on your hands - have a look at what each of the manufacturers has to offer and then make your final choice.
A sturdy tank and stand is even more important given the circumstances you've described.

Can anyone make further suggestions, bearing in mind that sturdiness is a very important factor here.

John

ITFS member.

Last edit: 20 May 2014 18:37 by JohnH (John). Reason: Spelling

More
20 May 2014 18:41 #13 by Goldilocks (Noeleen E.)
Ah thanks a million. She really loves the fish. Seahorse aquariums have several tanks set up.in Temple Street Hospital & she loves them.

I do have a 30l tank here & I just keep the food, treatments etc well hidden from her.

More
20 May 2014 18:42 #14 by ABdarudeone (Mick)
As JohnH said it wouldnt be a very good idea to start something big just before your house move .
But you can always start something small like Nano , and get used to your new routine - you are gonna need A Quarantine tank in some stage anyway.
But again im a rookie myself ,cant even take proper care of my own fish soo.. i'd listen to some more experienced guys i suppose ;)

**Neither a teacher nor a native speaker**

More
20 May 2014 18:56 #15 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)

Thank you John. I'm hoping to learn as much as possible here also.

I should also say I have a fish mad child with a life limiting disability who is very curious so I would need a nice sturdy safe setup! I seen the Rio 125 tank in Maxi Zoo & thought that would be an idea.

I have a 100ltr tank here you are more than welcome to it,
Although I haven't got a stand so sturdyness may pose a problem,
But if you had a counter to put it on its yours,
I can stock it for you also FOC!

And it's spongeBob,
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
20 May 2014 19:12 #16 by Goldilocks (Noeleen E.)
Wow thank you for such a kind offer! I have never even thought about what types of fish etc!

I'm not sure where I would put it until I move.

More
20 May 2014 19:23 #17 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
No pressure,
Get yourself sorted and let me know,
I have beautiful angelfish,corydoras and plecos and if there's nothing there that you like, then you always have a tank there to put something you do like in.

And it's spongeBob,
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
20 May 2014 19:41 #18 by Goldilocks (Noeleen E.)
I loved the Angelfish. I have no idea what a Corydora is. Would have to look them up.

I think she would love the Angelfish as they are very striking!

More
20 May 2014 20:01 #19 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
Sterbai corydoras:

There very nice catfish,
Peaceful to :)

And it's spongeBob,
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
20 May 2014 20:28 #20 by Goldilocks (Noeleen E.)
Ah they are lovely. Look very interesting too. Thanks for sharing. I looked at the Angelfish fry too. They are also lovely.

More
20 May 2014 21:04 #21 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Hi Goldilocks welcome to the forum :)
There are very nice people here!
When will you be moving? I'm most likely to do it in autumn and still haven't figure out how to move my community tank :S
I'm pretty newbie in this too and started with a 180l now I have a 30l nano too.

More
20 May 2014 21:12 #22 by Goldilocks (Noeleen E.)
Yes lovely people. I can't believe how kind & helpful people are. Hoping to move before the end of the year but waiting for more suitable housing for my daughter.

This all started with my older daughter winning an unfortunate Goldfish at a fair last year. We have dogs & some mountain cloud Minnow.

More
20 May 2014 21:56 #23 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
In my case was because my father asked me to put an advert about a tank he had there in Spain and I started with the thought that I should left other things and bring the tank when I moved to Ireland so I told my husband I wanted a tank...a couple of months later I told him "I think I need a small tank for the shrimps because the big tank is so planted I can't barely see them". The other day I told him "I'd like to breed the betta but this would mean 2 more tanks... but smalls ones"
This is addictive!

Have a dog and two cats too and would love to adopt another cat...maybe when I move home!

More
21 May 2014 07:51 #24 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Welcome to the forum, there are some great and helpful people on here! And with Angelcichlids offer of a tank, I have a heater there you can have FOC as well!
I always keep a couple spare and that ones never even come out of the box, so brand new!!!! Its not a top end heater but it is very capable of that size of tank!
I used to have some white cloud minno's a number of years back but when I started getting cichlids, they disappeared!!!! I knew nothing of cichlids having my minos for lunch at the time!

Hope you stick around
Best of luck

Neil

More
21 May 2014 09:09 #25 by JohnH (John)
This truly is fantastic - Angle and Hammie, fair play to you both for making your generous offers.

This really is the true spirit of the Forum - well done.

John

ITFS member.

More
21 May 2014 09:35 #26 by Goldilocks (Noeleen E.)
I was thinking about all the lovely replies last night & I can only say wow I'm speechless at how kind people are to a complete stranger.

Thank you so much.

More
21 May 2014 12:16 #27 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
A stranger is easy to be nice too.....
Its the idiots you deal with on a daily basis are the ones that make it difficult to be nice to them!!!!!

More
22 May 2014 14:09 #28 by Ski (Alan McGee)
Welcome to the forum Goldi. Watch out for this hobby, before ya know if you'll have a few tanks on the go.

More
22 May 2014 18:21 #29 by Goldilocks (Noeleen E.)
A bit like dogs really. You can't have just one! I will probably use the small tank as quarantine tank.

I remember a few years back being chuffed with my lovely new male Golden Cloud Minnow & there he was doing a display for the ladies when a goldfish like a scene out of jaws swam up & swallowed him.

More
22 May 2014 19:09 #30 by Zebrapleco (samuel wasson)
Hi goldi and welcome. I myself and quiet new to the forum and have found it helpful and fun reading all the different posts. As you look at setting up a new tank in the future my advice is always take a good long think about what kind of set up you would like and the cost involved and the size of the fish.
I have made all the rookie mistakes over the years and have lost fish cause of them.
I must say I love cichlids and my other passion is plants so I hope you enjoy your time here and your daughter continues to love the tank you have and the one you will set up in the future.
Ps we can't have enough fish loving ladies in the hobbie. Lol

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds