Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

90litre planted tank!

More
21 Jun 2014 09:55 #1 by KatieH (Katie Holland)
Hi, I'm Katie!

I have a 90litre and I'm thinking about setting it up as a planted tank. Unsure about what stock to put in. Maybe corys and guppies. Any suggestions?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2014 11:17 #2 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Praecox Rainbows, Pentazona Barbs and Cardinal Tetras are my favourite smaller peaceful (non fin nipping) schooling fish...A school of about 20 of either would look terrific in a planted tank and also would behave more naturally....

Maybe some Dwarf Cichlids to go along with them...

Maybe a smaller growing Pleco (Rubbernoses are amazing)

And ya can never go wrong with a school of smaller Corries (maybe 9)

What about Nerite Snails???? Something different and are in my opinion the best creature to munch on Algae...You wont ever have to clean your glass again...They are amazing especially the Horned Nerite Snails...And wont reproduce either! So no snail infestations...Just one downfall they do tend to lay small sesame seed size eggs on bogwood and it can be a bit annoying...

More
21 Jun 2014 20:53 #3 by KatieH (Katie Holland)
Thanks for that info. I'll definitely look into them species, mainly the Cardinals and Dwarf Cichlids.. Would a school of 10 Guppies and 10 Cardinals get along, do you think?

I'm gonna go Oto cats for algae eaters. I'm gonna look for a Nerite snail when the tank is up and running.. I have to go to Dublin to get plant substrate and bog wood for the tank first..

Thanks for the info and the comment!!

More
21 Jun 2014 21:41 #4 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Guppies and Cardinals will get on fine!

More
22 Jun 2014 21:53 #5 by ger310 (Ger .)
Welcome to the forum KatieH,plenty of info on here,just ask

i wouldn't advise putting Oto's into a newly set up tank though as they only really do well and thrive in an established tank so you might have some deaths on your hands i'm afraid!!

All the best :)

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
22 Jun 2014 22:21 #6 by KatieH (Katie Holland)
Thanks for that advice.. I will hold out a while to get the Oto's so then!! :)

More
23 Jun 2014 23:38 #7 by Jim (Jim Lawlor)
Welcome Katie

Lots of good suggestions there - if you don't want to wait too long for the ottos, you could try something a bit more robust like bulldog plecs or even a single Chinese algae eater (they do a perfectly good job, leave the other inhabitants alone and are nearly indestructible).

Also take a look at Pygmy cories - a small shoal would look great in your tank

More
30 Jun 2014 20:46 #8 by KatieH (Katie Holland)
I'll decide on fish in the next week or two. I went upto seahorse yesterday got substrate within my budget (manado and aquabasis plus). Got all plants from my bf and planted the tank last night. Mite be too much in it but I'll see how it ends up when it grows in.

Plants with no roots were hard to plant and plants with long roots were hard as well.

I'm experimenting with a carpet in the corner as I want to try a carpet in a 30 litre tank I have anubias and moss on stones for that tank it may be a while before I get to that tank though.

Carpet.. Will the stones stop it spreading and cause it to thicken (plant is E. Tennellus.

Any suggestions on this? Should I remove some plants or leave them be?

Attachments:

More
14 Sep 2014 19:36 #9 by Remy (Remy)
Replied by Remy (Remy) on topic 90litre planted tank!
hallo Katie.your fish tank looks very good.i thin you should leave all plants so that the fish tank has a whole new.Can I ask what light in fish tank,how many watts?Some plants require good lighting. :dry:

More
14 Sep 2014 21:06 #10 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Welcome along Katie. Any idea on how hard or soft your water is ? Or what the pH is ? It might be easier then to recommend fish for your tank. nice tank by the way

Eric

More
14 Sep 2014 21:38 #11 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
I would let the plants grow in a bit then decide if you want to move or remove some.

The E. Tennellus will grow past the rocks if you let it.
Whenever it sends runners over the rocks to spread new plants just cut them.
Also cut the runners between plants so it will carpet quicker.

More
15 Sep 2014 10:21 #12 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic 90litre planted tank!
Galaxy Danio, Emerald green danio, great little fish and not hard on the electricity bill.

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
07 Oct 2014 15:33 - 07 Oct 2014 20:19 #13 by KatieH (Katie Holland)
Sorry I haven't been on in a while. Been busy with college so my boyfriend took over this tank.

Update:

Picture quality isn't great over iPod

Ive had one plant die off on the right side only replaced it recently with off cuts. Sorry bout the off cuts of the plants on the front. It's a little over grown but what I wanted was a jungle style aquarium. My bf is giving away some of the plants on his account of anyone is interested.
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Oct 2014 20:19 by KatieH (Katie Holland).

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds