Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

NEWBE

More
05 Aug 2014 16:22 #1 by Delboy (Derek)
NEWBE was created by Delboy (Derek)
Ok.. First,, Hi all., I understand the guidelines set out for your site, and implore your patience. However I am new to this fish keeping lark and this site was recommended to me by a member who has obviously learnt a lot and has passed me on a hell of a lot of his knowledge which wouldn’t be hard as I know very little about keeping an aquarium be it fish or plants.
I bought a fish tank on donedeal or something like that, brought it home and was quickly sent back out the door with no chance of a probation period, the tank is now up and running in the work place with 1 bala shark, 1 guppie left of 4 and a plant, in fairness to myself these have now lasted 2 weeks, so this is my state of play. oh! by the way my tank is a 250ltr job with pebbles on stones as my scape for the time being.
I look forward to learning more and partaking as a member in this forum.
Thanks
Delboy (newbe) :crazy:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2014 18:14 #2 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Replied by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley) on topic NEWBE
The missus said no?

I wouldn't stand for that! You need to sit her down, tell her you're a man and she's a woman and she just has to do what she's told. If that doesn't work then withhold sex... she'll break in no time... :whistle: :evil:

Anyway, welcome to the hobby ;)

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
05 Aug 2014 19:01 #3 by swai (Simon)
Replied by swai (Simon) on topic NEWBE
Ha there is no way I would stand for that. Just bring the tank home and fill it!

Anyway, welcome to the forum.

Marino, Dublin 9

More
05 Aug 2014 19:34 #4 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Replied by hammie (Neil Hammerton) on topic NEWBE
I don't stand for that kinda nonsence outta the wife.......

(I find it easier to sit down and be told what to do haha)

Welcome along, enjoy the site
Stick up pics
And join in where you can

More
05 Aug 2014 19:54 - 05 Aug 2014 19:55 #5 by Joekinsella (joe Kinsella)
Replied by Joekinsella (joe Kinsella) on topic NEWBE
That's the best one I've read in a while :D some women these days. I put a tank in my misses sitting room (before I lived there 240l) I went down set it up and went back to dublin for five days. While I was gone she did a 50 percent water change one of the days with a one litre jug cause I took the siphon. :crazy: .

When I moved in I brought 2 more tanks to our bedroom. I was doing a water change yesterday into a 20 litre jug got distracted went off for a few minutes and returned to my tank half empty with the floor flooded. After an hour with 3 towels an a hair dryer it was finally cleaned up (not as wet). Kitchen ceiling is water damaged. Long story short I still get to keep my tanks :D.

Best of luck in the hobby we are all here to answer questions and we all make mistakes losses happen but that's how we learn. Welcome to the forum. Maybe try adding a smaller tank to the house and work your way up that 250l must have been a shocker alright hahaha.

Last edit: 05 Aug 2014 19:55 by Joekinsella (joe Kinsella).

More
05 Aug 2014 20:01 #6 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
my advice should come with small print

such advice may not represent actual real life experience. however, when I discuss such things with my wife, she always sees my point and agrees with me.... in my head

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
05 Aug 2014 20:07 #7 by Joekinsella (joe Kinsella)
Replied by Joekinsella (joe Kinsella) on topic NEWBE
Just copped that hahaha she'll break :laugh: brilliant.

More
05 Aug 2014 20:13 #8 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)
Replied by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire) on topic NEWBE
I think i know that tank :)
Welcome to the forum!

More
05 Aug 2014 20:21 #9 by davey_c (dave clarke)
Replied by davey_c (dave clarke) on topic NEWBE
I dont see why we as men should agree to the conditons of "FOR BETTER OR WORSE" if the women arent willing to accept our hobbies or moneypits as a form of those conditions :lol:
Anyways welcome along :)

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
05 Aug 2014 20:24 - 05 Aug 2014 20:24 #10 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

I dont see why we as men should agree to the conditons of "FOR BETTER OR WORSE" if the women arent willing to accept our hobbies or moneypits as a form of those conditions :lol:
Anyways welcome along :)

That's right brother! Testify!

If you ever need to set the wife straight, I'm right behind you!

far far behind you... hiding

Last edit: 05 Aug 2014 20:24 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley).

More
05 Aug 2014 20:24 #11 by swai (Simon)
Replied by swai (Simon) on topic NEWBE
I get all my fish and tanks for free :)

Marino, Dublin 9

More
05 Aug 2014 20:25 #12 by theresa. (Theresa O Brien)
Replied by theresa. (Theresa O Brien) on topic NEWBE
Golly you are all very funny tonight, Welcome along and enjoy your hobby

More
05 Aug 2014 20:42 #13 by alan 64 (alan)
Replied by alan 64 (alan) on topic NEWBE
just get a tank large enuf that if she keeps moaning there is always room in there for her

More
06 Aug 2014 07:08 #14 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Replied by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers) on topic NEWBE
Ah! Yes fishkeeping is a hobby most wives just about tolerate apart from a few lucky exceptions.

Simple solution, get the 250 looking great show the missus a tank would be a good addition to the house and then get a 450 for home ;)

Welcome, enjoy, share
Dec

More
06 Aug 2014 07:50 #15 by paulv (paul vickers)
Replied by paulv (paul vickers) on topic NEWBE
I just told my dear patient wife its all about the feng shui, at dawn all the fish line up facing east bringing wealth and prosperity to our day :silly: . Congrats on your new tank, 250 is a realy good size. What filter are you using?

More
06 Aug 2014 09:34 #16 by Ski (Alan McGee)
Replied by Ski (Alan McGee) on topic NEWBE
Ah more lady troubles :) Welcome to the site Delboy

More
07 Aug 2014 16:22 #17 by Delboy (Derek)
Replied by Delboy (Derek) on topic NEWBE
Thanks for all the marital advice! It’s refreshing that so many care..maybe I should join a relationship forum as I didn’t think I had too many problems until now…LOL.. and I might even get some advice on fish keeping as well. as for withholding some nocturnal activities, I am not so sure that will work!
Anyway thanks for the very warm welcome by all.
:crazy: :hammer:

More
07 Aug 2014 17:36 #18 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Replied by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers) on topic NEWBE
So some fish keeping advice,

Try to get yourself a test kit the first 4 to 8 weeks are the trickiest until a nice colony if bacteria build up in your filter, what filter do you have by the way?

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds