Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Help will be needed!

More
13 Apr 2015 22:18 #1 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
I have decided to start my aquarium again. I remember having one when I was a child and it looked great. Now I am older (over 40) I thought would give it another go.
I am starting off with small a cold water tank and it's going okay.
Where I need help is where to go next?
I am looking into getting a big custom tank made, 120cm wide, 45 cm deep and 80-90 cm high. I am looking into prices and people to make it at the moment. Any good ones you recommend?
But what should I put in it?
1) Should it be a cold water set up?
2) What about tropical? If so what fish should I put in it? I do know I want lots of fish not just 3-4 specimen fish., and I am not that keen on chiclids. (Sorry all you fans) So what community fish will live together happily, look great, and I can have lots of?
3) Should I be brave and go marine?
With your help I know I will have loads of suggestions and when I start photos will be posted.
I won't be of any help to answer your questions, but wil try to ask loads!!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2015 00:01 #2 by baan (Fintan Breen)
welcome to the forum! Please ask anything you come up against. you'll notice all of us ask questions!

On the below, I'm a tropical fan and I have discus, not that that should sway you!! I'm sure others will try and tempt you over to the salty side! First tropical tank, I'd go a broad range community tank of lots of fish that would go together. Some guppies, platties, gouramies with some cory cats, and maybe a couple of bristlenose plecos. With a nice tank that big though, a few big fish would look good in it, along with a shoal of tiny fish. So if it was me I'd be getting 8-10 discus and 30cardinal tetras with a few corys and bristlenose. But that's me!!

The one bit of concern I would have is the dept of your tank... 80-90cm high and 45 cm front to back.... you'll find it very hard to get to the bottom of that for cleaning/planting/moving stuff about when it's full of water. Unless you have very long hands!! this will be more of a problem if it is against a wall cos then you will be trying to reach over a meter to the bottom back (if my Pythagoras theorem calculations are correct!). Mine is 55 high and 45 front to back and that can be a struggle at times. Maybe others will have different views.

More
14 Apr 2015 02:58 #3 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Learn everything you can about "The Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle"

badmanstropicalfish.com/fish_stats.html

That link should help you with a lot of different fish species and their environment requirements....

Make sure you research every fish online for eventual size and whether it needs to be in a school or not....

Don't overstock your tank and don't overfeed your fish...

Freshwater Tropical (warm water) is the best way to start in my opinion...You could even have real plants growing in your tank if you wanted...

The bigger the tank you start off with the wider the range of fish you can choose from and mix....

Regular water changes are essential for the health of your fish..if your not willing to change about 25% weekly your just asking for trouble in the form of sick fish and the dreaded algae...

Research, research, research...Ask questions...This hobby requires patience..Dont just dive in and fill a brand new tank to the brim with all kinds of fish.. If you do you are just gonna end up with compatibility issues and fish diseases due to " fish stress "

Finally I would suggest a quarantine tank to quarantine newly purchased fish...

Seahorse Aquariums in Dublin make tanks to required specs and they are very reputable... They sell everything for the fish keeping hobby.. Aquatic Village are another good store you might consider.. There is also a guy on this forum who builds tanks.. somebody else might tune in with his name ( can't actually remember myself at the mmoment )

Relax, have patience and enjoy setting up your new tank... Biggest mistake new fish keepers make is not taking their time... I actually envy you.. Would love to be setting up a brand new tank... its the most enjoyable part of the hobby :)

More
14 Apr 2015 03:29 #4 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
irishfishkeepers.com/articles/29-basics

This article might be of interest as well

More
14 Apr 2015 03:47 - 14 Apr 2015 03:51 #5 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
"bart" is the fella on here that builds tanks..just remembered..maybe contact him...
Last edit: 14 Apr 2015 03:51 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered).

More
14 Apr 2015 07:07 #6 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
great advise given above....i would also add that the tank size in particular the height could as pointed out be an issue for cleaning etc...on the tropical or marine front...many say tropical is a better learning step before jumping into marine althougj there are many who have taken thay step easily.however bare in mind the cost side of things also,marine lifestock is expensive in comparison to tropicals.The running of a marine tank tends to be steeper also re costs.
Research everything...from lifestock to substrate to lightening to filters..
When stocking aim for lower level,mid level and upper level areas of the tank.I know you want lots of fish so community mix and match would work but consider perhaps also a type of theme to the tank,maybe south american set up etc..

The setting up of a tank is exciting but resarch loads and ask questions and you wont go far wrong.

Everyone will offer opinion on fish types but have a look at what type you want and work from there.
Welcome along also,its a great site with great knowledge to be shared.
Gavin

More
14 Apr 2015 10:17 #7 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
So my first reply back. Regarding the depth or height of the tank. (what is the right name for the dimension of an aquarium from the top to the bottom!!)
I was a thinking of going 80 cm deep as it would look nice in my front room that deep. No my arms are not that long but I was thinking about using one of those old people long reach grabbers to work at depth.
And because water volume = more fish and I want it to fit flush into a alcove, height is the way to do it I thought.
Saying that I am open to correction.
Gunnered72, if you fancy a trip to Roscommon when it's ordered and delivered, to help fill it with water, you are more than happy to come!
Thanks for suggestions so far, keep them coming.

More
14 Apr 2015 10:49 #8 by carlowchris (chris)
Bart is the guy to contact about making a tank....really nice guy....I thought I had his number but if you search custom tanks on adverts or done deal you should find him...he's based in clondalkin.......

As for scrappers on sticks doesn't matter how long they are ....you always end up with your whole arm in the tank at some point.....

If you are thinking of a custom made tank and even thinking of one day in the future about marine....better to plan ahead now and incorporate a sump into the build.

More
14 Apr 2015 11:02 #9 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I love the idea of a very tall tank but I agree with the others here; at some stage it'll be hellishly difficult for you to manage. Apart from anything else, trying to vacuum dirt and gunk out from the far back edge will be nearly impossible. All of this might be mitigated if the stand is a very low one but if it's a standard sized stand with nearly 3 feet more of tank on top, then even doing regular water changes will necessitate using a stool or ladder.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
02 Jul 2015 17:31 - 02 Jul 2015 21:30 #10 by ChelseaSplendon95 (Chelsea Ward)
Hello :)
I would personally go with a tank that is longer than it is deep, just easier to manage, more swimming room and you can get a fish who breathes air, eg a Siamese fighter.

If you're getting a custom made tank, you could ask for an overhead filter built in the hood. I use one mixed with your average filter, i really like it or else you could go with a sump. If you're going to have a custom made tank, you may as well have eveything you want. :) Sumps are cool because you can put your heater in them instead of in the tank and they're not just for marine fish :)

I like the idea of a big school of tetras but i think two types would be cool, eg a cardinal and neon. :)

You can also get freshwater clams that feed by filtering the water but care has to be taken because they can easily starve in the aquarium.
Last edit: 02 Jul 2015 21:30 by ChelseaSplendon95 (Chelsea Ward).

More
04 Jul 2015 01:03 #11 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
Hi and Welcome
I like your idea of a big tank but like others the higher the tank the more trouble you will have trying to clean the tank.
My big tank is much the same size as your idea 60 inch x 28 inch wide x 28 inch high when you include the canopy it's over 30 inch high.
The only way i can work on the bottom is half empty the tank and use a chair to reach in.
Look here for sizes and it will give you some ideas
www.ifocas.org/calculator.htm
another thing i love looking through youtube for ideas just type in tropical tanks and you will see what fish people have living together.
I am looking forward to seeing your progress
all the best.

irish-zx10r

Something fishie going on here

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds