Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

new to this site

More
14 May 2015 21:45 #1 by Aido Cornally (Aidan cornally)
Hi All
My name is Aidan but friends call me Aido, i have had a cold water aquarium for at least 20 years, but only started taking tropical fish serious in the last five years, i am a fan of American Cichlids
I art present have a 180 ltr juwel tanks which is getting at little crowded so have intention of upping size this year,
tank contains
2 musk turtles
1 fire fox (left over from community tank but is doing well)
4 convicts (all female)
2 albino oscars (which will be re-homed once they reach reasonable size )
1 jack dempsey (didnt intend to have him given by pet shop by mistake)
1 pleco (unsure of breed)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 May 2015 22:17 #2 by alan 64 (alan)
Replied by alan 64 (alan) on topic new to this site
Hey aido and welcome when u get use to the site try upload some pics

More
14 May 2015 22:24 #3 by Aido Cornally (Aidan cornally)
Had a nice little MPEG of my tank to upload but alas not available to this site. oh well will take some pics soon

More
14 May 2015 22:30 #4 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic new to this site

Had a nice little MPEG of my tank to upload but alas not available to this site. oh well will take some pics soon

If you host it via youtube you can then add the link here, that seems to be the best method for video clips.
John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
14 May 2015 22:31 #5 by Aido Cornally (Aidan cornally)
Thanks never thought of that cheers will do tomorrow Gnite guys

More
14 May 2015 22:45 #6 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Welcome along
Plenty of information to pass along and gather around here
I have 2 male convicts going looking for homes soon if your interested!

More
14 May 2015 22:48 #7 by Aido Cornally (Aidan cornally)
Hi Hammie

thanks but no thanks :) got rid of my males cause "hell hath no fury" like a female convict when breeding

Here a link to video of my tank on you tube

More
14 May 2015 23:05 #8 by JohnH (John)
I'm glad that worked out, thanks for sharing.

Nice Oscars

John

ITFS member.

More
14 May 2015 23:15 #9 by Aido Cornally (Aidan cornally)
thanks they look nice now wait till they grow too big for the tank and want to kill every thing else
not sure if they are a breeding pair yet but they are very chummy so far. will be moving them on as soon as they start trouble

i was thinking of changing my substrate from gravel to sand will this be possible with musk turtles ? as when i move the oscars on i intend getting geophagus brasiliensis as had one for a few years love the colour and temperament

More
14 May 2015 23:32 #10 by JohnH (John)
I had a pair of Braziliensis many years ago, they coexisted well, both with each other and the other fish in the tank - until they spawned...then they set about everything else - so much so that I had to remove the others from the tank for their safety.
Once the fry were free-swimming the male even killed the female too, but proved to be an exemplary parent, minding the fry until they had grown to around 1-1/2" long - then they had to take the trip to the shops - there were absolutely loads - I think I flooded the market for that species for ages and ages, there were that many!
John

ITFS member.

More
15 May 2015 07:43 #11 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Welcome to the forum Aido :)

More
15 May 2015 09:33 #12 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
hi and welcome what is your location? nice tank and fish looking forward to seeing your upgrade

Something fishie going on here

More
15 May 2015 10:13 #13 by Aido Cornally (Aidan cornally)
Based in Galway City
I am still looking for a 450 ltr tank at the right price cant afford 2 grand for new one as i have just invested in external filters and heater all im looking for is tank and cabinet to expand my collection.

More
15 May 2015 12:34 #14 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
I keep my 2 pairs of convicts in with a cray fish so, unless I intervene a spawn will not survive!
I'm moving on my cichlids tho in favour of something a little more interesting

Your tank looks very very well
Fair play

More
15 May 2015 12:36 #15 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Paulv is selling a 450 with filter etc for 150 euro
Not a thing wrong with it, he just needs the space to keep the wallet monster happy
It's worth having a look if you haven't already

More
15 May 2015 12:47 #16 by Aido Cornally (Aidan cornally)
Thanks
hammie

where is he based ?

More
15 May 2015 13:19 #17 by Aido Cornally (Aidan cornally)
i posted message on your for sale forum just taking a while to get posted
what make is the tank so i could look into lighting for it ?

More
15 May 2015 18:39 #18 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Welcome, lovely clean tank.

What cold water fish did you keep?

More
15 May 2015 18:56 #19 by Aido Cornally (Aidan cornally)
Thanks it clean due the jbl 1501 filtration overkill maybe but with two musk turtles need to keep pollution to a minimum

Only have the one tank at the moment populated as per my first post but up scaling very soon

More
10 Jun 2015 08:25 #20 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Welcome Aido :-)
You are most definatelt going to need an upgrade in time are you are going to have deaths in the tank. The oscars will get big and jack dempsey are very aggressive. Look forward to seeing the upgrade :-)

More
10 Jun 2015 14:36 #21 by Aido Cornally (Aidan cornally)
That's why I'm working only 450 ltr tank, which actually under a little investigation turn out to be 500 litre

More
18 Jun 2015 00:08 - 18 Jun 2015 01:21 #22 by michelle19 (michelle Carolan)
Very nice. I'm also new to this site. Trying to find a few nice Cichlids. I owned a 6ft african cichlid Tank..
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Jun 2015 01:21 by JohnH (John). Reason: Removed duplicated picture

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds