Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Newbie Marine Aquarist

More
02 Jul 2015 13:05 #1 by stevebreslin (Stephen Breslin)
I have had a Juwel Rio 180-litre reef tank up and running for 6 months now. Hoping to chat with some fellow Marine Aquarists on this forum!

Tank Contents:
1 x Horseshoe Crab
1 x Orange-legged Hermit Crab
4 x Blue-legged Dwarf Hermit Crabs
4 x Mexican Turbo Snails
2 x Nessasriius Snails

1 x Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
1 x Red Fire Shrimp

1 x Red Marble Sea Star
1 x Sand-Sifting Sea Star
1 x Pincushion Sea Urchin

1 x Saifin Tang Fish
2 x Blue-Green Chromis Fish
2 x Clown Fish
1 x Diamond Watchman Goby Fish
1 x Orange-Spotted Shrimp Goby Fish

1 x Sand Anemone
1 x Blubble-Tip Anemone
1 x Maxi-Mini Carpet Anemone

1 x Devil's Hand / Leather Soft Coral
1 x Brain Coral Fragment
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
02 Jul 2015 15:51 #2 by alan 64 (alan)
Nice tank the lads here will give u excellent advice

More
02 Jul 2015 17:35 #3 by carlowchris (chris)
welcome steve....very nice

More
02 Jul 2015 21:15 #4 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Very nice bud
My marine is in its infancy, running 6 or 8 weeks and only has 4 blue leg hermits and a cleaner shrimp in it at present
I'll have to get my finger out and get some more live stock in

More
02 Jul 2015 21:32 #5 by ChelseaSplendon95 (Chelsea Ward)
Welcome :)
I know nothing of marine fish but your set up sounds cool :D

More
02 Jul 2015 21:58 #6 by Kmd (Keith mc donagh)
Welcome Steve, nice clean looking tank you got there. What else you planing on adding?

More
02 Jul 2015 22:33 - 03 Jul 2015 08:28 #7 by stevebreslin (Stephen Breslin)

Very nice bud
My marine is in its infancy, running 6 or 8 weeks and only has 4 blue leg hermits and a cleaner shrimp in it at present
I'll have to get my finger out and get some more live stock in

Yeah, I have no patience, I had most of my livestock within the first 2 months, and a good few fish within the first week. You can speed up the maturation if you add live sand and bacteria to the initial setup.
Last edit: 03 Jul 2015 08:28 by stevebreslin (Stephen Breslin). Reason: Added Quote

More
02 Jul 2015 22:49 - 03 Jul 2015 08:28 #8 by stevebreslin (Stephen Breslin)

Welcome Steve, nice clean looking tank you got there. What else you planing on adding?

I like soft corals and anemones but some people say you should wait up to a year before adding anemones... I don't have the patience for that and already have several, although I lost an Atlantic Anemone last month. That might have been down to me moving him around whenever he settled in a spot I didn't like (they are there to entertain me, not hide!) because he subsequently moved around the tank a lot and eventually got sucked into the filter pump intake....
Last edit: 03 Jul 2015 08:28 by stevebreslin (Stephen Breslin). Reason: Added Quote

More
05 Jul 2015 05:54 #9 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Love the tank man. I only started marine a few months ago. I don't have anemones as i don't really have the space in my tanks. They do say to wait but once it's cycled you can.

More
10 Jul 2015 18:46 #10 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)
Nice set up Steve, I have experimented with marine 100l tank some time ago but it was heavy on wallet, especially after holidays (my bro wasn't best to leave fish with lol). The photo is bit dark so I can't see if you have water pump in there, if no I would recommend one. Marine life likes strong water flow

More
10 Jul 2015 22:47 #11 by stevebreslin (Stephen Breslin)

Nice set up Steve, I have experimented with marine 100l tank some time ago but it was heavy on wallet, especially after holidays (my bro wasn't best to leave fish with lol). The photo is bit dark so I can't see if you have water pump in there, if no I would recommend one. Marine life likes strong water flow

Thanks Helix, the tank has a built in filter and 600 l/hr pump (on the right) but as you've mentioned that's not good enough for marine so I also have (on the left) an external JBL CristalProfi e1501 1400 l/hr filter /pump.

More
11 Jul 2015 07:57 #12 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)
Ah yea I see now, very good. That will do the job.

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds