Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

New to the hobby

More
27 Sep 2015 19:49 #1 by Scaff (Gary Dunne)
Hi everyone, I'm new to the hobby and am currently 4weeks into a fishless cycle, everything seems to be going well, ammonia is at zero nitrate is between 0.1 and 0.25, nitrate is between 20. And 30.
My plants started to look a bit withered and brown spots on the leaves 2 weeks ago so I gave them less light and started to feed them 2.5ml of easy carbo daily, they are looking a lot better now however I noticed two days ago that there were dozens of tiny white worms floating around in the water they are multiplying rapidly as today there seems to be a hundred or more.
Can anyone on here recommend what I should do to get rid of them as I was hoping to begin stocking with fish in the next week or so.
Thanks in advance guys.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
27 Sep 2015 20:59 #2 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)
Welcome to forum.

Could you post some photos?

Tom

More
28 Sep 2015 05:45 #3 by paulv (paul vickers)
Are the worms translucent ?, if they are then they won't do any harm just a sign of lots of uneaten food in the substrate. Probably why the nitrates are highish. If it was me I'd chance adding a few fish like tetras. Do a 50%water change and monitor the water daily.

More
28 Sep 2015 09:51 #4 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Planaria perhaps...do a gravel vac if you can and cut back on the feedings...planaria are a sign of a tank that's carrying too much uneaten food.
Gavin

More
28 Sep 2015 12:42 #5 by ger310 (Ger .)
Replied by ger310 (Ger .) on topic New to the hobby
It sounds like Planaria alright which are harmless to fish but I wouldn't add any fish until you get rid of them as the only reason they are there is because there is excess food around your tank and if that food starts to rot (if it hasn't already) then that rotten food IS harmful to fish so i'd sort the problem first before stocking..............I'd do 10% daily water changes while cleaning your gravel of any uneaten food and they should be gone in a short time.

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

Time to create page: 0.039 seconds