Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Hi everyone

More
22 Oct 2016 16:00 #1 by Rhinopia (John Byrne)
Hi,
John here, Live in Meath (Dub on tour) I've been keeping fish about 15 years.
I've kept most tropical freshwater fish over the years and used to have a 700 litre marine system.
At the moment I've an Outdoor pond and a small marine tank (Looking to upgrade)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
22 Oct 2016 21:43 #2 by robert (robert carter)
Replied by robert (robert carter) on topic Hi everyone
Welcome to the forum , what do you keep in your pond , i am big into koi for the last 30 yrs or so

More
23 Oct 2016 07:48 #3 by Rhinopia (John Byrne)
Replied by Rhinopia (John Byrne) on topic Hi everyone
Thanks Robert,
At the moment I've only got Goldfish and Shubunkins. I returned from holiday in June to find my 8 Koi( 12"-18") and a large Goldfish (12") Dead. Their temporary carer!!!!! seriously overfed, my pond is child safe and the person looking after the fish couldn't remove the fish when they died thus the water quickly became polluted .I guess the bio load was just to much for the filter. I'm Planing a new pond next year so I won't restock until then.

Do you or have you kept any breed of sturgeon?

More
23 Oct 2016 08:27 #4 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Replied by Sukahn (Shane Doorley) on topic Hi everyone
Welcome to the forums mate, I'm a marine keeper with a 700L tank :-)

People (including myself) always have tanks up for sale so upgrading is always easy :)

More
23 Oct 2016 08:36 #5 by Rhinopia (John Byrne)
Thanks Sukahn,
Mixed reef?
What colour is the cabinet on your tank, any water damage?

More
23 Oct 2016 16:52 #6 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Replied by Sukahn (Shane Doorley) on topic Hi everyone
Yea the tank I have now is a mixed reef 700L I'm selling a tank I was using, a 3ft 450L clearseal

Here is the link
www.irishfishkeepers.com/forum/34-for-sa...l-tank-and-equipment

The cabinet is fine but there is a chip taken out of the bottom back corner of the glass of the tank but I had it up and running for 4 months no issues and the person I got it off had to running in the same condition for ages.

More
23 Oct 2016 17:07 #7 by robert (robert carter)
Hi yes i dohave a diamond back sturgoen about 26 inchs long , have him about 4 years great fish but you have to remember to feed him through the winter whereas the koi arnt fed once the water temp drops below 10 deg C

More
23 Oct 2016 18:41 #8 by Rhinopia (John Byrne)
How long was the sturgoen when you put it in the pond ? How big is your pond ? Have you any pond pictures?

More
24 Oct 2016 11:49 #9 by robert (robert carter)
The sturgoen was about 6 inches long , the pond is about a 1000 gallons . There are a good few on the forum already

More
24 Oct 2016 21:32 #10 by nomad (pat murphy)
Replied by nomad (pat murphy) on topic Hi everyone
Hi Robert what do you feed the sturgeon in the winter,does it change from the type of feed you give them in the active months.Do the koi not want to feed on the sturgeon food that you feed in the winter.....

More
24 Oct 2016 21:42 #11 by robert (robert carter)
Hi ,i feed the sturgeon sinking sturgoen pellets about 4mm insize , once the water temp drops the koi just dont seem interested in food .water temp this morning was 11.4 deg c, i did feed i little but the koi were slow to take any , will be on wheatgerm from tomorrow only feeding once a day until it goes down below 10 deg c then stop feeding the koi .i do heat the pond to 7 deg c just to keep the koi from remaining on the bottom and getting ulcers over the winter. Feed the sturgoen about 3 times a week for the winter , he stays very active as he prefers the cooler water which contains more oxygen

More
24 Oct 2016 22:27 #12 by nomad (pat murphy)
Replied by nomad (pat murphy) on topic Hi everyone
Thanks for reply Robert think I will start mine on the wheatgerm in the the next couple of days,would the bag of tetra wheatgerm only opened in late spring be ok to use..could you reply on my other post in www.irishfishkeepers.com/forum/1-coldwat...op-feeding-pond-fish to respect OP,s original post....

More
25 Oct 2016 13:42 #13 by robert (robert carter)
Replied on the other listing , keep opened bays of food dark and dry then they are ok

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds