Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Hello everyone

More
12 Jan 2017 18:19 #1 by seanmurph (Daniel Murphy)
I've had a varied experience with fish keeping.
I've 2 goldfish in a 3ft tank for 12 years now..
previously had small tropical tank of guppies/mollies.
Never braved the task of adopting a marine tank,
just admire the saltwater aquariums in the pet stores..
Looking to get back into tropical fish keeping again..

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2017 09:43 #2 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Your very welcome! Ask any questions that come into your head...People on here know what they are talking about...Watch out for Facebook Info...Alot of it is garbage...Pinch of salt is my advice with that one..

All I can say is TAKE YOUR TIME!

If you rush this hobby it will bite you on the a**e

Research, Research, Research....

If you are unfamiliar with it the very first thing you need to read about and understand fully is "THE AQUARIUM NITROGEN CYCLE"

Dont just run out, buy a bunch of equipment, a glass box and a bunch of fish and dump them in.....It will just break your heart with fish illness, fish death, algae explosions, green tanks, fish bullying etc etc etc.....

Second best bit of advice I can give you is if you see a fish you fancy "RESEARCH" its tank requirements, "EVENTUAL" size and "COMPATIBLE" tank mates... Just a tip! Big fish generally eat Small fish...And schooling fish need to be kept in groups, the more the merrier...

Thirdly!!! Buy the biggest tank you can afford....Otherwise you will regret it...Because if you really get the aquarium bug....You will constantly want to go bigger and better....

Best of luck.....Welcome to dweeb city LOL...Your life will never be the same again :P

Above all "BE PATIENT" If your not gonna be patient it will all go pear shaped!

More
13 Jan 2017 14:02 #3 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
Replied by Jonlate (Jon Late) on topic Hello everyone
4th get the other half onboard. Then you can do nothing wrong.
Let her chose the fish, coral etc and then she's involved and can't complain about the price!!
Worked for me.

More
13 Jan 2017 14:18 #4 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Better still dump the wife or girlfriend LOL :whistle:

Fish dont ever complain or bitch when ya spend money :laugh:

And better still if ya get bored with them ya can sell them, swap them or even give them away LMAO

Win win in my estimation !

More
14 Jan 2017 15:56 #5 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Welcome along to the forum.
Marine tanks are nice but are rather expensive :whistle: :whistle:

More
15 Jan 2017 02:11 #6 by robert (robert carter)
Hi and a very warm welcome to the forum , incidently my wife supports my fishkeeping hoby, however she doesnt get told the realcost of my hobby

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds