Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Happy New Year

More
01 Jan 2008 16:06 #1 by nomad (pat murphy)
A Happy New Year to all on this site that i,ve just recently joined.Was into trops a few years ago and found it most rewarding.Because of unforeseen circumstances i had to leave the hobby but now over the last few months have had the plesure and privilidge to be able to start again,if only on a small scale with a Rio 180,so for now.................

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Jan 2008 16:09 #2 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:Happy New Year
Hi Nomad,

Happy New Year to you too!
Welcome to the forum :)

Valerie

More
01 Jan 2008 16:45 #3 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
HAPPY NEW YEAR AND GREAT TO HAVE YOU JOIN

enjoy the hobby and any help you want you will get here

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
01 Jan 2008 16:51 #4 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Happy New Year Nomad,and welcome aboard.

What are you keeping?

Dave

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
01 Jan 2008 19:38 #5 by nomad (pat murphy)
Replied by nomad (pat murphy) on topic fish stock
Thanks all,......in reply to what fish i,m keeping Dave well for now its your basic tropicals.Started off with some tetras to start the new tank cycling off.Some red eye tetrs,couple of serpae,s.Added 3 pairs of rosy barbs a while after.After 6 weeks or so started to stock up some more,3 angels 1 male and 2 females who have laid eggs four or five times and eventually eat them,3 clown loaches,a pair of lrg albino danio.s,coolies, octocinclas,pair of neon blue gourami,s,a hoarse face loach,a small synodontis,about 20 neons and last but not least a couple of fine sized bala sharks that were purchased at petstop in blanchardstown a couple of months ago.......

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Jan 2008 01:06 #6 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:fish stock
Hi Nomad,

You have a good selection of fish in your tank. I had never heard of horse-face-loaches. I googled them and they look quite interesting.
What size are your Bala sharks ? I was keen to get them for my 180l tank too once upon a time as they are a beautiful fish, but changed my plans as they would have outgrown the tank too quickly. Are they not aggressive towards their smaller/colourful tank mates ?

Valerie

More
02 Jan 2008 01:24 #7 by adriano210 (adrian kraszewski)
you shuld give the bala sharks away are too big for your tank and they grow too quick . in short time they will be to big and it will be difficult to find new home for them

More
02 Jan 2008 01:32 #8 by nomad (pat murphy)
Replied by nomad (pat murphy) on topic Bala,s
Hi Valerie,Tried to get some measurment with a tape measure at the front of the tank but the bala,s are quite giddy,the lengh of the body without tail fin would be 4ins+ and the height in the centre to top of body below the dorsal fin would be 1+qtr+,with their large finnage their quite an eye catcher.They were bought for 15 euro,s each which was a very good price compared to other shops ive seen charging more for way smaller ones.They are no problem at all with the smaller fish,even the small neons ar,nt bothered,at times theres some minor scuffles with each other,seems to be a hiarachy,territorial thing but only in a minor way.........Nomad

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds