Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Morning all!

More
11 Jan 2008 10:21 #1 by Cardnim (Andrew Hanley)
Just to say hello (and thanks for a great site)

Ive only been keeping fish a year, but absolutely love it and have two tropical tanks, one of which maybe could be described as \"hi-tech\" planted.

Currently saving the pennies and hope to setup a 5ft marine reef tank (ecosystem filtered) in the very near future.

Looking forward to getting to know you guys better on here :kiss: :lol:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Jan 2008 10:44 #2 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re:Morning all!
Welcome fella, very ambitious with a 5' marine tank!!!

There are a few threads about marine setups here, make sure you read them all and don't believe any one LFS owners advice, they are all decent people but seem to have some very different ideas about how to do things.

More
11 Jan 2008 10:52 #3 by Cardnim (Andrew Hanley)
Cheers Didihno! :)

Thanks for the headsup about LFS. I'll definately take your advice on that one.
I suppose the 5ft is a bit ambitious but I think the bigger the tank, the more stable the water conditions, so Im hoping it will actually be easier to keep than something like a nano system?
I can't wait till I get it to be honest, but having to bide my time and direct my energies onto my planted tank....so I just keep making some DIY upgrades and improvements to the tank and equipment while I wait. My Mrs said last night that it had turned into an obsession! :)

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Jan 2008 11:39 #4 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re:Morning all!
Not saying the LFS's are wrong or anything like that, just people go in one shop and are told 'this is how you do it', then they go into another and are told the opposite. Reading peoples threads here are the same really, but with proof to go with it, and then you decide which way you want to go and its your own experience from then.

You are right about the nano system, I've heard bad things (although mine was fine).
I have a 100l marine now, and its pretty stable, but to be honest I've had more problems with ti than with the nano!!!

• pierce (pierce)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Jan 2008 11:40 #5 by pierce (pierce)
Replied by pierce (pierce) on topic Re:Morning all!
welcome to the forum hope to hear all the ups and downs of setting up your marine

More
11 Jan 2008 12:30 #6 by goldy (goldy .)
Replied by goldy (goldy .) on topic Re:Morning all!
hi cardnim

welcome to the forum. sounds like you have been bitten by the bug good and proper. the 5ft tank sounds great and definitely something to look forward to. Do the research though as it could prove to be an expensive learning curve.

Nessa

• paulm (paulm)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Jan 2008 20:22 #7 by paulm (paulm)
Replied by paulm (paulm) on topic Re:Morning all!
Lots of help around here mate. If your local you can always pop round and see my set up or someone eleses in your local area.

Anyway best of luck.

More
12 Jan 2008 02:27 #8 by kieronr (kieronr)
Replied by kieronr (kieronr) on topic Re:Morning all!
Best of luck with the 5ft marine setup,your right in saying that the bigger the volume the more stable the water will be.I'm running the ecosystem method on my reef tank,so if you need any pointers feel free to ask.kieron

More
12 Jan 2008 14:06 #9 by Cardnim (Andrew Hanley)
Cheers guys, really appreciate the offers of help (and no doubt I will completely abuse those offers in the months to come! :lol: )

I must admit, this forum is a little hard to navigate and get to work right; and I dont seem to be able to get any info on other users (i.e. where they are from).
Im from the North (Carrickfergus to be precise) and it would be good to know if anyone else is from up this direction.

More
12 Jan 2008 23:39 #10 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Welcome to the forum cardnim.
Good luck with the 5' tank.
It is true you will get different advice from different shops but this is probably because there are different ways of setting up a marine tank.
I run a marine tank with a bio-filter + ecosystem with success.
Although if i was doing it again i would skip the ecosystem miracle mud. I'm not convinced this product works.
I'm sure some people would cringe at the idea of the bio-filter but it works well for me.
Different strokes for different folks.

You must post some pictures of your hi-tech planted tank.

Darren.

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds