Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Hi everbody,

More
15 Jan 2008 16:19 #1 by John Mc (John Mc)
I have been veiwing this site for a while now and would like to thank everyone for posting up such valuable info on fish keeping.I have followed all the info about cycling the tank and all the advice for beginners but after getting everything set-up properly I have a encountered an unusual problem.

The tank i own is a juwel rekord 70litre ,the problem is the heater seems to have melted the plastic box that houses all the equitment.Now i have gone through the instructions about 10 times and I have definetly set up the tank properly.

I am living in Cork and the shop i purchased the tank from said i have to wait until their rep comes in friday to see the tank ,but in the mean time my fish have to stay in toxic water(melted plastic is surely toxic).The staff in the shop were really unhelpful and said basically it's nothing to do with them and I have to wait for the rep to come to deal with it.

If only I had found out about fins n' things store before I bought the tank!

Anyway sorry for such a long post but hopefully someone will have advice or information for me. Thank You...John

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 Jan 2008 16:28 #2 by tonycfc (Tony O Connor)
john mc would i be right in saying that the heater came with the fish tank and if so its purely down to a manufacturing error as in they put the wrong heater with the tank
if not and you bought the tank and heater seperate but in the same shop at the same time then its back onto the shop owners and in your case i think you should mention consumer rights then if there still not helpfull give them a ring some people mightnt bother but i would as they werent very helpfull to start with and i think theyll have to reimburse you for the loss of your fish to

best of look with your problem hope this was of any help tony

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Jan 2008 17:02 #3 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:Hi everbody,
Hi JohnMc,

Welcome to the forum.
Sorry to hear about your misadventures re. the heater melting the plastic. The warranty should kick in without problem if you purchased the complete set.
Wishing you the best of luck with the rep. :) and hoping that fishkeeping will be a long and peaceful experience after this one ! :-)
Regards,
Valerie

• pierce (pierce)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Jan 2008 17:06 #4 by pierce (pierce)
Replied by pierce (pierce) on topic Re:Hi everbody,
Hi welcome to the forum.Sorry to hear about your heater problem but surley the rep will see its not your fault.Keep us informed on what happens

More
16 Jan 2008 15:16 #5 by John Mc (John Mc)
Replied by John Mc (John Mc) on topic Re:Hi everbody,
Thanks for the advice everyone ,I bought the full set which included the heater.I think it's the standard heater for the rekord 70.it's a 100w I think.

I gave the shop in question my mobile number and asked them to ring the rep to see what they have to say about it as the shop were putting the responability of the problem onto the rep.That was monday morning that i gave them my number and they still haven't bothered to make a quick phone call.I would seriously advise anybody to not use the shop for anything fish related.I would name the shop but don't know if it is allowed so I'll wait until a moderator gives me the ok.

Thanks again for everyone's comment's ,I never thought I could get into fish keeping so much I am now thinking of going to the S.A.S meeting in the kingsley hotel friday that's if the girlfriend agrees to come along.

If the problem isn't solved friday then I will be bringing the shop to the small claims court as the employee's were even sniggering when I mentioned I was afraid to leave the fish in the tank until friday in case more died.Now I know they're only fish but I had named them all already and after all the effort I put into reading up on tropical fish and cycling the tank properly I am a bit angry at their attitude towards me.

Sorry again for the long post...John

More
16 Jan 2008 15:18 #6 by Dub (Glen Coughlan)
Replied by Dub (Glen Coughlan) on topic Re:Hi everbody,
Whats up man!!! Listen welcome onboard.Top SiteB) Top fish keepersB)

More
16 Jan 2008 23:45 #7 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Welcome John. As far as i know melted plastic is not toxic. Only if it is burnt (blistering) it becomes toxic.
I am assuming you only returned the heater and kept the filter running?
I dont know what fish you have but most tropical fish will be ok at 22c. for a while. Just keep the room worm that the tank is in and they will be fine.
You could always ask the manager of the shop for a spare heater untill the issue is resolved. Or ask him/her to house your fish for you.

Darren.

More
22 Jan 2008 12:54 #8 by John Mc (John Mc)
Just to let everyone who replied to my original post know ,I got a full refund for the tank last friday.Then I saw an ad for a tank on the buy and sell the same day and bought a bigger tank+stand+extra's for only 70 euro so I guess it worked out ok for me.Thanks for the welcome and replies...John

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Jan 2008 12:58 #9 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:Hi everbody,
Hi John

Well done for getting a bigger tank ! :-)
What did you get ?
Did you manage to keep your fish ?

Good luck with your new project !

Valerie

More
22 Jan 2008 13:04 #10 by goldy (goldy .)
Replied by goldy (goldy .) on topic Re:Hi everbody,
Hi John Mc. Glad you got sorted out eventually. It was a bit unfortunate that you had those teething problems but glad to see that you got it remedied and maybe did better out of it. I hope your fish are happy eiwith their extension..

Nessa

More
22 Jan 2008 13:10 #11 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
that is great to hear if only we all could have that luck! but keep us posted as to how you get on from here.

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
25 Jan 2008 11:52 #12 by John Mc (John Mc)
I got a 110 litre marina tank with a fluval 3 filter ,have managed to keep almost all my fish.I am now thinking about getting another tank seeing as I have money left over:)

Time to create page: 0.053 seconds