Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Why are fish dyed?

More
23 Mar 2009 16:21 #1 by Darragh_Clarke (Darragh Clarke)
why are so many fish dyed different colours?
Attachments:
The topic has been locked.
More
23 Mar 2009 16:33 #2 by alkiely (alan kiely)
Opened again................ha ha

We were talkin about this a few weeks ago its mainly done in aisa and its just for show and really causes alot of problems for fish.

Injecting fish with dyes cozs many of them to die and the ones how live have many different health problems and cut there life span by years. Also with the blood parrots in the pic people cut of the tails too along with making fish heart shaped and tatooing ( spelt wrong ) names etc on fish there is a thread on here about with more info search for dyed fish and you should find it.

Its wrong and a horrible partice but you do see them on sale here the odd time

Alan
  • john gannon (john gannon)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Mar 2009 16:35 #3 by john gannon (john gannon)
Replied by john gannon (john gannon) on topic Re:Why are fish dyed?
i seen some of these in one of our sponsers shops on saturday
More
23 Mar 2009 16:42 #4 by alkiely (alan kiely)
Really....................:angry:

pm details please
  • john gannon (john gannon)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Mar 2009 16:51 #5 by john gannon (john gannon)
Replied by john gannon (john gannon) on topic Re:Why are fish dyed?
yes but im not going to name them as im waiting on a reply from the person in charge
More
23 Mar 2009 16:57 #6 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re:Why are fish dyed?
Given that your illustration is of those dreadful mutations which they call ‘Parrot Fish’ and which even without the dye look and are awful the producers have to find ways to make them appear more appealing – hence the dyed finish…personally I think they still are abominations which should be made extinct, dyed or otherwise!

The trouble is…inexperienced Fishkeepers like them, it matters not that the dye fades after a while, or that because of the mutations they are means they cannot even eat very well!

I have been in shops both here and in England and have heard people (non-Fishkeepers mainly) enthusing over them. People mainly are not aware of the processes involved in dyeing fish…neither do they realise how few actually survive the ordeal either!

And, if you think about it, Fish Shops will stock what people will buy! I’ve, like many others, heard the ‘nonsense’ (substitute your own words there) quoted…”The Wholesalers sent us the dyed fish – we didn’t order them…they were sent in as replacements for fish which we ordered which were out of stock” – the list of excuses is endless!!!

But, and this is the really sad thing, even many species of fish which might ‘appear’ colourless – or even semi-transparent are now receiving the same fate, we were only talking about this last weekend, the Channa Glass Fish, a really nice but virtually transparent fish now come in all colours of the rainbow – they don’t need it, they are perfect little fish without!

Someone posted a picture last year, or possibly the year before, of Albino Corydoras having been dyed, again, every hue you could imagine. There is a campaign running both here, in Britain (run by the Practical Fishkeeping comic) but also in almost all civilised countries where fish are kept but still they come!

If no-one would buy them the shops, wholesalers and producers would have to cease stocking/providing/producing them!

Good post, let’s hope it will re-start the Anti-Dyed Fish Campaign again – it needs a kick-start. And let’s include those awful mutated fish like the ‘Parrots’, Ballon Mollies and others.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
More
23 Mar 2009 17:23 #7 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
john gannon wrote:

i seen some of these in one of our sponsers shops on saturday

Send a pm to admin with the name of the sponsor ;)
More
23 Mar 2009 17:59 #8 by Administrator (Admin)
Dazaray wrote:

why are so many fish dyed different colours? [/img]

Duplicate thread in Introduce Yourself section deleted.

This topic is covering on several other threads already, however as there are replies here I won't lock this one.

Please remember forum rules and no naming and shaming on this site.

John Gannon. Can you PM me the name of the sponsor please if you do not get a satisfactory reply - though I am not sure what that could be!

Admin Team.
More
23 Mar 2009 18:51 #9 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
While I agree in part with the no name and shame policy, I think we seriously need to ask questions here about why this sponsor has these fish and why they continue to sell them. Its nothing short of boycotting the shop if they are doing this cruel practice. We sweat over our fish, making sure we get them to pristine conditions and natural habitats.Then we go to a shop who we hope can answer our questions on all fish keeping matters and who will understand our concerns and needs,but if I see a hybrid mutant of a fish being openly sold. Well its then you gotta ask who knows more about fish after all! Yes its a business but its a business that needs to be regulated far better, there isnt any official rules out there which is why we the customer need to ensure we make our feelings known strongly.
I would suggest we let the sponsor answer the PM send to them and await the response. We have to hear both sides of the arguement, but I just hopes its not a tired old excuse that is thrown out at us. We deserve fish that dont get put through these torture type treatments to make them look preety. Neons and cardinals are gorgeous and natural, why the hell do we need stupid pink fish that have been lasered and injected. Nature didnt intend on this in any way.
Gavin
More
23 Mar 2009 19:59 #10 by Darragh_Clarke (Darragh Clarke)
yes it it unfair.I have seen them on the internet and found out there now about to dye an Oscar cichlid blue and red.

and if there is a sponsor selling these fish we should be aloud now who it is.

www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/campaign.php on Practical Fishkeeping they have a Dyed Fish Campaign
More
23 Mar 2009 20:04 #11 by Darragh_Clarke (Darragh Clarke)
i luv you written on the fish
Attachments:
More
23 Mar 2009 20:05 #12 by Darragh_Clarke (Darragh Clarke)
patterns written on the fish
Attachments:
More
23 Mar 2009 20:07 #13 by Darragh_Clarke (Darragh Clarke)
Attachments:
More
23 Mar 2009 20:08 #14 by Darragh_Clarke (Darragh Clarke)
Attachments:
More
23 Mar 2009 20:10 #15 by Darragh_Clarke (Darragh Clarke)
more dyed fish
Attachments:
More
23 Mar 2009 20:11 #16 by ArielBetta (Cara Keane)
Now that goes WAY TOO FAR!!!

Poor fish...I'm with Fishowner on this one when he said.........."While I agree in part with the no name and shame policy, I think we seriously need to ask questions here about why this sponsor has these fish and why they continue to sell them. Its nothing short of boycotting the shop if they are doing this cruel practice. We sweat over our fish, making sure we get them to pristine conditions and natural habitats. its a business but its a business that needs to be regulated far better, there isnt any official rules out there which is why we the customer need to ensure we make our feelings known strongly.I would suggest we let the sponsor answer the PM send to them and await the response."

It would want to be a fairly speedy and genuine response though or name and shame for what is a shameful practice!
More
24 Mar 2009 03:10 #17 by PetCoLongMileRoad (Drew Latimer)
i still cant understand how and why people can or want to do this sick practice its just plain wrong :(

If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.
  • 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Mar 2009 08:52 #18 by 2poc (2poc)
Replied by 2poc (2poc) on topic Re:Why are fish dyed?
Re: naming & shaming - I would be sure to get a response from the sponsor first.

I spotted one a while back in a sponsor's shop & they had reluctantly taken it as a trade in with a group of other fish.

This is quite different in my mind from sourcing & selling them.
  • wolfsburg (wolfsburg)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Mar 2009 09:42 #19 by wolfsburg (wolfsburg)
Replied by wolfsburg (wolfsburg) on topic Re:Why are fish dyed?
I would agree with 2poc although I would add that the shop may have been sent the fish by mistake. If the supplier could have been in the UK it would not be possible to send the fish back so he would either have to sell them or flush them.
I know a sponser that this happened to a few months ago. He is a sound guy and he was livid that he was sent dyed tetras. What choice did he have other than to off load the fish as quickly as possible for dirt cheap?!
He is signed up to that anti-dyed fish campaign thing with PFK so he is dead against them himself and was very embarrased when I spotted them in one of his tanks.

I was told that in Singapore (the home of dyed fish) you can get fish with your company logo on the side.... Classy! :X
More
24 Mar 2009 23:21 #20 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)
Please note that any further posts on dyed fish will be deleted immediately.
A more detailed policy on Dyed Fish will be made available over the coming days.
In the meantime it is not for discussion.
Time to create page: 0.066 seconds