Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

new to this!! need some help

More
27 Aug 2009 13:09 - 27 Aug 2009 13:42 #1 by pattymayo (claire kiely)
hey all fellow fish keepers
i used to keep cold water fish but have recently moved to tropical fish!!
im lovin all the new and different colourful fish i can buy..
but im very careful on choosing fish and always ask for advice on fish for my community tank as i dont want any bullying!!

i have 1 golden ram, a blue ram , 2 mollys, 4 black skirt tetra. 3 lil red tetra not sure on their name, 5 platties 4 of which are quite small,some kind of pleco, and a lil funky yellow fish shes a platty but is shaped like a molly il have to put a pic of her up!!!oh and i forgot my lil horn snail!!!

all my fish get along really well and its only a 60 ltr tank
do you think its over stocked???
all my fish are pretty small!!
i was thinking ok gettin some cherry shrimp!!
do you think im pushing it???
would any of my other fish eat them???

thanks for taking the time to reading this
any feed back you can give me will be greatly appreciated!!!
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Aug 2009 13:42 by pattymayo (claire kiely).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2009 13:58 #2 by JohnH (John)
Hello, firstly you're most welcome to the Forum.
I would suggest you aren't especially overstocked, but you wouldn't want to be getting too many more inhabitants for this tank.
Adult Cherry Shrimps might just survive the 'interest' of your Tetras, the Black Widows when full size would be well able to eat them, though. If your Red Tetras turn out to be Serpae then these are pretty avaricious too.
The problem will be, in my opinion, when the Shrimps breed, as breed they most certainly will, then even your Rams will regard the 'Shrimpeens' as a great source of live food. But if you wouldn't be too concerned about keeping the young Shrimps to grow on and extend your stock then I think they should be OK, it really does depend upon the sizes your Tetras are now as to whether your Shrimps (should you get some) will survive. Also, if your tank is fairly heavily planted they would stand a better chance of surviving too.

Might a second tank be 'on the cards'?

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

• scubadim (scubadim)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
27 Aug 2009 14:44 #3 by scubadim (scubadim)
Replied by scubadim (scubadim) on topic Re:new to this!! need some help
Hey welcome to the forum and to tropical fish keeping!!
Couldn't say more than John just said there.
maybe a nice bushy plant or java moss would help as shelter for your little shrimpies.
all the best.:) .
Dimitri.

More
27 Aug 2009 15:08 #4 by pattymayo (claire kiely)
Thanks guys il take on board the info you have given me!!
i think maybe i should get more plants for the shrimps to make sure they're extra safe!!
i dont want any murder in my tank :)
id love to get a bigger tank.. but havnt really got the space!!
the tetras are still young so maybe they'll just leave the shrimps alone!!
all my fish seem to get along great and are all pretty placid!!
i had a crazy danio but had to bring him back to the shop as i think he was to hyper and freaking my lil tetras out!!

thanks again guys and il let yous know how i get on with my lil shrimpies when i get some!!

plus would yous have any suggestions on any other fish i could put in my community tank??
or am i pushing it :)

More
27 Aug 2009 15:13 #5 by monty (monty)
I'm curious about your water parameters. Rams generally prefer softer water and livebearers prefer harder water. In fact some prefer brackish water. So I think in the long run depending on what type of water you have you will either lose the rams or the livebearers.

Be careful of fish being labelled 'community'. This just indicates that they generally get along with other fish, but you still need to match them to your water parameters.

More
27 Aug 2009 15:26 #6 by pattymayo (claire kiely)
thanks monty :)
looks like i still need to do alot more research!!
and get a water testing kit!!!
i do a bout 15% water change each week!!
and my tank is up and running nearly 2 months now..
and so far so good!! i have had no deaths thank god!
and all my fish are looking lovely and healthy!!
the rams are full of colour and have nice rounded bodies!!

thanks again for all your help!!
i need all the advice i can get!!

More
27 Aug 2009 23:18 - 28 Aug 2009 00:59 #7 by pattymayo (claire kiely)
Could i put a female betta in my tank???

some people are sayin that they have mixed them before with blue rams and they were grand
just depends on how aggresive the fish are!!

Wot do ye think???

id prob need a bigger tank!!!!

or rehome some of my fish???
Last edit: 28 Aug 2009 00:59 by pattymayo (claire kiely).

More
28 Aug 2009 07:54 #8 by mrsFishpatrick (Astrid Fitzpatrick)
I wouldn't put to many more fish in your tank personally, with the livebearers you have in there there is a good chance you have atleast one of either sex, and in a few weeks you will propably see babies appearing, your 5 platies will soon be 50:)

More
28 Aug 2009 10:13 #9 by pattymayo (claire kiely)
hmmm i forgot bout that :)
i only had female plattys and went and bought a male last week :)
and also bought a male and female molly
maybe i should just leave my tank for a while :)
i just love gettin new fish :)
thanks for the advice mrs Fishpatrick :)

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds