Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

hi everybody new to the forum

More
17 Sep 2009 13:46 #1 by lynched (Terry)
just started a tank in the last few weeks

its a jewel 120 tanks at the moment i have a couple of
covict cichlits
red stripe cichlits
clown clown loaches

was wondering about putting java moss onto the 2 pieces of wood in the tank

will put up a pic soon

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 Sep 2009 17:12 #2 by karlo (karlo kennedy)
welcome to the world of tomorow

hi and welcome to the forum if you do decide to go with the jave moss just be carefull in case the fish try to eat it and also watch out for lose moss as it will get to the filter
all the best
karlo kennedy

More
17 Sep 2009 19:17 #3 by Dub (Glen Coughlan)
Hi Mate.............Welcome onboard..............;)

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Sep 2009 19:34 #4 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:hi everybody new to the forum
Lynched,

Welcome to the hobby and to the forum.
Though I don't know much about cichlids, I would fear they don't give much of a chance to your plant. Someone else might confirm in a later post.
Please do post pictures. If you require any help, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Valerie

More
17 Sep 2009 20:58 #5 by lynched (Terry)
lynched wrote:

covict cichlits
red stripe cichlits
clown clown loaches

will put up a pic soon

More
17 Sep 2009 21:07 #6 by lynched (Terry)
lynched wrote:

lynched wrote:

covict cichlits
red stripe cichlits
clown clown loaches

will put up a pic soon

Attachments:

More
17 Sep 2009 21:28 #7 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
Welcome to the forum lynched, i keep cichlids myself but never bothered with real plants as they have a habit of digging them up but you might get away with some java moss if you tie it to the wood using fishing line till it gets a hold. Sometimes its a matter of trail and error to see if things work as what work for one does not always work for others.

Best of luck

GB

More
18 Sep 2009 00:50 #8 by bull (keith madden)
welcome to the forum lynched i have convict cichlids and they shredded my plants would recommend artificial plants with cichlids

More
18 Sep 2009 00:59 #9 by reefpaddy (paddy kelly)
welcome to the forum mate:) . if your keeping ciclids i would stay away from plants as they will bring down your ph . its been a while since i kept ciclids but to keep them happy they need hard water around the 8 mark , id say you will struggle to keep your water above 7 if you start planting. more rocks and no plants is the way to go if you want to keep your ciclids happy .that is why you only really see ciclid tanks with rocks in them. sorry for putting a downer on your idea mate, but as i said your fish will be a lot happier/healthier without plants, the bog wood should go to. id have to question who sold this combo to you, ie bog wood plants and a clown with ciclids, i think some bad advice has been given but im sure the experts on the site will look after you. best of luck
paddy

• scubadim (scubadim)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Sep 2009 10:26 #10 by scubadim (scubadim)
Replied by scubadim (scubadim) on topic Re:hi everybody new to the forum
Hi there,
Welcome to the forum.What are your red stripe cichlid?you have any other name for it?
as for plants you could try java fern and anubias...
they're pretty tough plants and you can put them on your wood as well.
depending on what type of cichlid you have,some of them are just terrible with any plants:(
good luck:)
Dimitri

More
18 Sep 2009 10:58 #11 by Tom (Tom Brecknell)
Hi Lynched,
Here is a profile on the two fish I recognised from your list, as for the Red Striped Cichlid??? have you any more info on it. You should try and keep fish from the same part of the world together especially when you are starting out.

Get the full name of the fish from your fish shop before you buy anything. You can then check and see if they are compatible, as some people selling fish in the Pet Superstores don’t have much fish experience.

The dedicated people working every day of the week with fish are a better source, otherwise you could finish up with semi-aggressive fish from all over the world that have different requirements and don’t understand each other.

Best of luck with your new venture and hope it all works out for you........Tom.B)

South American Blackwater Creek - WATER: pH 5.5-6.5, 0-4 dH, 79-84 F (26-29 C)
South American Whitewater River - WATER: pH 6.8-7.1, 3-8 dH, 79-84 F (26-29 C)
Central American River - WATER: pH: 7.0-7.8, 5-10 dH, 72-79 F (22-26 C)
Rivers of Indonesia and Borneo - WATER: pH: 6.0-7.6, 5-12 dH, 77-84 F (25-29 C)
Lake Malawi - WATER: pH 7.8-8.6, 6-10 dH, 72-82 F (23-28 C)
Lake Tanganyika - WATER: pH: 7.8-9.0, 12-20 dH, 75-82 F (24-28 C)

www.aquariumlife.net/profiles/central-am...t-cichlid/100127.asp

www.aquariumlife.net/profiles/cobitidae/clown-loach/100013.asp

More
18 Sep 2009 12:05 #12 by lynched (Terry)
Hi Tom

thanks for that info i will try and get the name and a pic of said fish but they tend to hide alot

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds