Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Priceless

More
17 Aug 2011 20:40 - 17 Aug 2011 20:41 #1 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Everything you need to know to take care of your new tropical fish.

Add five drops of stress coat to your water.
You can give the water a slight swirl to allow the stress coat/zime to mix with the water.
Then bring the bag with the tropical fish and place in the tank to allow the fish to adjust to the temperature of the water in the tank.
After about 20 minutes catch the tropical fish with a goldfish net and place the fish in the tank.
Never mix the water from the bag with the water in your tank.
Only feed your fish one flake every two days (pay no attention to what is written on the tub of food.
Do not leave your tank in direct sun light as the water will not stay clean for long.
Clean your filter every three weeks and do a 10% water change.
Do not forget to add some more stress coat/zime.
Most fish deaths happen when the above list is not followed.

This is a list a store not saying who has posted am i the only one who thinks this is a joke.Like no mention of cycling , i dont clean my filters much at all to be honest i would say i take out debris leave media alone and 10 % every 3 weeks lol i wish, i feel sorry, some stores just dont give clueless people a chance.1 flake every 2 days i would hate to see those fish WOW!!!! SOME POINTS ARE VALID BUT OH MY SOME ARE JUST NUTS!!!!
Last edit: 17 Aug 2011 20:41 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 Aug 2011 20:43 #2 by funkychic (trish coughlan)
what a joke

More
17 Aug 2011 20:50 #3 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re: Priceless
I've never used that stuff in my whole (long - for Dar) life.

Stress Coat, Stress Zyme.

Doubtless it has its uses - but I've never felt the need for it.

Is the 'one flake' quote a misinterpretation from one language to English perhaps?

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
17 Aug 2011 21:23 #4 by Jambomac (James McConville)
if thats true suggestion then i'd say a fully stocked might have a lot ammonia spikes and dead fish.
Which equals more sales for shop and and more profit. cleaning sponges kills beneficial bacteria.

I have never cleaned my sponges and my fish are all good?

How big the flake?

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.”

quote Bruce Lee

More
17 Aug 2011 21:53 #5 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
I've used Stress Coat and StressZyme.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
18 Aug 2011 00:23 #6 by dar (darren curry)
Replied by dar (darren curry) on topic Re: Priceless
Add five drops of stress coat to your water. depending on how much water this is correct
You can give the water a slight swirl to allow the stress coat/zime to mix with the water. correct
Then bring the bag with the tropical fish and place in the tank to allow the fish to adjust to the temperature of the water in the tank. correct
After about 20 minutes catch the tropical fish with a goldfish net and place the fish in the tank.
Never mix the water from the bag with the water in your tank. correct (ish) wat if you only have a betta net that you bought for the betta?
Only feed your fish one flake every two days (pay no attention to what is written on the tub of food. depending on size of fish and size of flake this is correct
Do not leave your tank in direct sun light as the water will not stay clean for long. correct
Clean your filter every three weeks and do a 10% water change. again depending on fish and water volume this could be correct
Do not forget to add some more stress coat/zime. correct
Most fish deaths happen when the above list is not followed. correct to an extent

it could be a small bit cleared

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic

More
18 Aug 2011 05:51 - 18 Aug 2011 05:54 #7 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
I dont agree with them at all some points yes are ok but some just mad. @john no translation misunderstanding 1 flake of food.
@dar i never clean my filter off ever as said debris from inside it yes and squeeze a spomge in tank water from water change but never clean fully, its where the good bacteria is.
As to water changes i do 50 % in all tanks every week.
And i feed my fish 3 times a day small amounts or 2 times with a day off every so often , but 1 flake just wont cut it for a fish no flakes are that big!!!

Ahh i supose all to there own but i think shops should give more information to people.
I am not saying all shops dont because some do.I also think the person should reasearch i just felt that the steps they give makes it sound like throw the fsh in and you good to go its not that simple.
Last edit: 18 Aug 2011 05:54 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor).

More
18 Aug 2011 10:14 #8 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Replied by Acara (Dave Walters) on topic Re: Priceless
Mixing the waters is almost correct,you should mix the tank water with the water in the bag(that is put tank water INTO bag)then pour that down drain when fish are taken out and put into tank.

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
18 Aug 2011 10:31 #9 by dar (darren curry)
Replied by dar (darren curry) on topic Re: Priceless
but ceech wat you do is clean your filter. it does not state the process of how it is cleaned. no one (i hope) entirely cleans their filter but we still class it as clean. and ive seen big flakes that would feed a neon twice over

yes i do agree that it is not great info for starting out, but not totally 100% wrong

dont mind me i just enjoy being a pain in the a$$, even if i am wrong lol

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic

More
18 Aug 2011 11:41 #10 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
There are differences of opinion and method at the detail level.

For example, for some species of fish I do not put their bag into the tank water at all (unless equilibrating the temperature). The bag is emptied into a container and aerated, then I use a slow trickle siphon (using air-line piping) to run water from the main tank into the containing. The proportion of main water to bagged water will eventually be much greater than 50:50.
The fish are then netted into the tank.
(I use this for certain species of killifish, acid water African cichlids, and the more sensitive fish where changes are not tolerated).

For tougher fish……it is bag in the water, and bit by bit spoon water into the bag.

Cleaning filters….the frequency and extent of cleaning depends on many things, and so it is difficult to select one detailed method and say it is correct or incorrect.
I really would not be saying that an deep bed U/G filter should be cleaned out every 3 weeks.

Food….I would like to see some of our fish being happy with a single flake every 2 days. On the other hand, some fish are over-fed by daily feeding. What the ‘list’ probably means is not to overfeed…OR to feed only sparingly within the first week or so.

For this list as the start of this…..it would probably do as a quick check of what needs to be done.

The issue that I have with the list is that it is dogmatic and narrow-minded (and I don’t like dogmas).

Ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
18 Aug 2011 12:35 - 18 Aug 2011 12:36 #11 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Replied by Acara (Dave Walters) on topic Re: Priceless
That's exactly how I do it Ian,with airline and a wee tap/clamp on it to regulate flow.
That info in the shop,however,is aimed at pure starters to the game,who probably only have a smallish community tank,and not the facilities to do it our way.

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!
Last edit: 18 Aug 2011 12:36 by Acara (Dave Walters).

More
18 Aug 2011 12:49 #12 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
I agree ian with you i do the same always when i get new fish.
@ dar none is wrong here dar everyone has a voice what would worry me is that a begineer would clean his tank and filter completley ever 3 weeks ;-)
I suppose we all do things different ways :-)
I just though the list was usless in a way to a begineer.
I would have a whole lot more information for someone who is starting but i suppose this is up to them to do there reasearch also:-)

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds