Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Snakehead In Canada !!

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • stretnik (stretnik)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Oct 2012 00:57 #1 by stretnik (stretnik)
Snakehead In Canada !! was created by stretnik (stretnik)
I am curious as to what species of Snakeheads would be viable outdoors in Ireland if they can survive out in the Cold outdoors of Canada.

www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/...akehead-burnaby.html

Kev.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
01 Oct 2012 07:29 #2 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
I'd predict most species (although I would have a doubt on the smaller bleheri and a few others).

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
01 Oct 2012 08:42 #3 by Ski (Alan McGee)
I would say the northern snakehead would be the one most able to survive because it can live in water with temperatures ranging from 0 to 30 degrees C.

They live in russia as well which gets fecking chilly!

More
01 Oct 2012 08:58 #4 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
I think it was only a matter of time before this happened,I remember watching a documentary on discovery a while back about how snakeheads were introduced in the states,apparently a Chinese guy had got some for a remedy for his sick brother,in the meantime the brother recovered so to prevent bad karma he released them into a local river or lake and the rest as they say is history!

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
01 Oct 2012 09:11 #5 by Ski (Alan McGee)
The River Monsters episode about them is good as well

More
01 Oct 2012 11:42 - 01 Oct 2012 11:52 #6 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Snakehead In Canada !!
There was a report a couple of years back about one being found dead in the UK - everyone was in uproar about it.

But eventually the truth came out and it seems that an aquarist had one which had died in his tank and then a large 'spoof' was carried out to kid everyone that it had actually been caught by an angler!

I must have a trawl back to see if I can find it.

But, back to this story...in the video it clearly shows that live Snakeheads can be bought in fish markets in Canada. Now, the Chinese are - mostly - an enterprising race. In my view it wouldn't have taken too long for an immigrant to think that if they live in China (and, as Ski points out, Russia) they could possibly survive the Canadian winters and released them here and there. If they lived and multiplied here would be a source of fish which wouldn't then need to be imported.

Well, that's my interpretation - any other thoughts from anyone?

John

edit:
Here's one report, news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/lincolnshire/7252908.stm

and the PFK report:
www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=1539

and here, near the bottom, are details of the hoax.
iberianature.com/britainnature/the-great-snakehead-fish-hoax/

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 01 Oct 2012 11:52 by JohnH (John). Reason: additions

More
01 Oct 2012 12:45 #7 by Ski (Alan McGee)
Yeah i think Chinese use them in medicine so it would be more profitable not to have to import them

More
01 Oct 2012 12:49 #8 by Ski (Alan McGee)
Also supposed to be tasty but i think i'll pass on that one!

More
01 Oct 2012 17:31 #9 by brian (Brian)
was interested in channa argus for a polytunnel pond,but hear they are not allowed to be brought in

More
01 Oct 2012 17:46 #10 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

was interested in channa argus for a polytunnel pond,but hear they are not allowed to be brought in

Although I had proposed them on a list presented of "species to restrict" in ROI (and that would also have to apply to NI as well), there is nothing on the Statuatory Instruments yet to specifically ban them.

However, the Wildlife Act would have a clause that could be used by the Minister of State to remove them from possession.

As for putting them outdoors.....that would speed up the potential for a ban on them alright.

ian

More
01 Oct 2012 20:14 #11 by brian (Brian)
there is nothing to stop me keeping these fish if i can get hold of them then ?

why would keeping outdoors,inside a poly tunnel,and miles from large area of water be bad ?

thanx

More
01 Oct 2012 20:23 #12 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
The potential for accidental release into the wilds would be a problem.

In reality, responsible fish-keepers who are in the 'community' are not likely to allow accidental release, but there are some not so responsible people out there and I guess that all they need is an anecdotal example to warrant their careless attitudes.

I'm not saying anyone on this forum are those types of people by the way, but we know how some people are when they see someone doing something.

Keeping such potentially invasive fish outdoors might alert some folk to alert the authorities.....hence why I'd not recommend keeping them outdoors (but I'm not here to judge anyone :)).

In my article on the invasive fish, I did note that responsible fish keepers are not the only way that these fish can be introduced.
Those folk who are determined to break laws, those who don't care a hoot, non-western medicine, and changes in culture (eg species used in cooking) are risks of introduction that need to be considered.

ian

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds