Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

PFK Visit?

More
23 Mar 2013 11:04 #1 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Which shops did PFK visit?

I've heard of 2 so far.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2013 11:27 #2 by Gavin (Gavin)
Replied by Gavin (Gavin) on topic PFK Visit?
Artane Aquatics.
Seahorse Ireland
Aquaworld
Aquatic Village

and some shops in the north the following day.

dont make me come over there.

More
23 Mar 2013 11:40 #3 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

Artane Aquatics.
Seahorse Ireland
Aquaworld
Aquatic Village

Cheers Gavin.

I knew of Artane and AV, but not of the others.

It will interesting to see what is said.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
23 Mar 2013 11:50 #4 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic PFK Visit?

Artane Aquatics.
Seahorse Ireland
Aquaworld
Aquatic Village

So - a really comprehensive visit was had then???

I'll be interested to read how this gets written up!
They were given a much bigger list of shops to visit (by their own request) yet limited themselves to just FOUR Dublin shops...

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
23 Mar 2013 12:07 - 23 Mar 2013 12:34 #5 by Gavin (Gavin)
It worked on the basis of customer reccomendations via their website,comming from the U.K. they were limited to two days travel so a lot to cram in. Not many (if any ) country shops had customers recomending them in the comments section on the the PFK website so they went where seemed popular on that basis alone as they knew nothing about Irelands fish shops.In addition they tried contacting other shops that were reccomended and they never got back to them.They plan to come back..so if you like a shop outside Dublin and want to see it featured then petition them when they announce another vist.

I just had a look on their website and only one reader recomended shops outside dublin.It was the very last comment.

Last edit: 23 Mar 2013 12:34 by Gavin (Gavin).

More
23 Mar 2013 12:38 #6 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic PFK Visit?
I can see that, Gavin. No-one in their right mind ever expected they would ever move 'beyond the Pale' - other than to go 'Up North' but they were given quite a list of Dublin Shops to visit on their website and I personally know of at least one Dublin shop which was promised a visit which never materialised.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
23 Mar 2013 13:01 #7 by Gavin (Gavin)
I'm sure that if this was the case it was a time issue and nothing sinister.

More
23 Mar 2013 13:06 #8 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Any idea when we should esxpect to see article(s)?

More
23 Mar 2013 13:13 #9 by Gavin (Gavin)
not this issue (the one with a guppy on the front) but the next one.

More
23 Mar 2013 15:27 #10 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Replied by Acara (Dave Walters) on topic PFK Visit?
To be honest, I don't think it's a fair appreciation of the shops they did visit. I say this because the shops knew when they were coming, and had plenty of time to get in fish they may not otherwise regularly get in, tidy the place a little, etc. The only way to do a fair assessment would be to show up un-announced, and possibly to not even say who they were when they were there.

Now, I must stress, what I've just said is not to take away from the good work these shops do do, they are good shops, and the selection is vastly better than when I started keeping a few years ago.

Reminds me of when my Dad had his fish and chip shop(in the days when they sold fresh fish, but thats a different story). The fisheries inspector rang him on Friday and said they'd be around to inspect the premises(illegal sizes, etc) on the Monday!

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds