Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

I heard this on the news this morning

More
11 Aug 2014 13:37 #1 by JohnH (John)
Made me wonder why someone would be wanting to import such monster clams...

www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/revenue-of...-airport-279111.html

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2014 14:33 #2 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
no 1. Why would ya want to import them??? Who would have a setup big enough to house them???
no 2. How the hell would you smuggle them in thru an airport? Surely without water they would die
no 3. 40 of them??? were they shoved down someones cacks or what????

More
11 Aug 2014 14:37 #3 by paulv (paul vickers)
An amazing find. Im wondering if they were destained for the food trade, as they can not be relocated, that is reestablished in an aquarium.

More
11 Aug 2014 15:28 #4 by JohnH (John)
I wasn't fully listening this morning, but I'm pretty sure they said the clams were part of an illegal consignment destine for the aquarium trade, but I could be wrong (what, me?).

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
19 Aug 2014 08:08 #5 by Bullfrog (DECLAN MAC GABHANN)
Lads these were brought in last year. The clams were held over in the airport for a fair amount of time before being "rehomed" as there was no flight to return to the country of origin. None survived and they were not the giant clam Tridacna gigas species as stated in the paper, if memory serves they were Tridacna crocea which is not really a giant and they might have faired better if they had been exported/handled/rehomed better and faster.

More
19 Aug 2014 08:11 #6 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Yet another epic fail by the authorities in this country

Well done lads!!!! Well done!!!!

Id be sure the processes set in place to protect this kind of thing is what eventually led to the clam deaths!

A pure shame imo

More
19 Aug 2014 09:14 #7 by Bullfrog (DECLAN MAC GABHANN)
I agree, I think its also down to the right people not in the right place most of the time.

With some of the imports coming in direct from the far east which they cant actually do anymore as Ireland no longer has a live fish reception (BIP) so the fish have to be checked in another EU country before they arrive here means that the officials in Dublin and Cork airport are stuck as they cant release the fish as it is seen as an unconfirmed entry and we dont have approved quarantine facility so all that is left officially is to return them to the country of origin or destroy them which is the usual route as the return flight tends to be a couple of days later and they will be dead in the bags.

Time to create page: 0.040 seconds