Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

new fish delivery service

More
19 Aug 2015 10:52 #1 by apm (Andy McKenna)
Ad on Done Deal for Apm Aquariums based in Kerry offering all Ireland delivery of fish for €10 . Any forum members had any dealings with them ?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2015 11:51 #2 by JohnH (John)
As with all of these delivery offers I would be very cautious as - being very OLD school I like to see what I'm buying, but perhaps others might feel differently. Maybe someone has used them and can give first-hand feedback?

For me much of the enjoyment of buying new fish is the trip to the shop(s) and looking at everything on offer then choosing exactly the ones I want.

Actually I remember a place where I was once told I wouldn't be able to have the actual specimens I chose - quite obviously I refused this and never returned, indeed that shop is now closed down, so perhaps I wasn't the only one to show my displeasure of that sales method.

Sorry, I ventured off the subject a bit there.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
19 Aug 2015 15:14 #3 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)
+1 on the trip to shop, better to see what you buying. Also watching my little girl getting excited and running from one tank to another is priceless :laugh:

Obviously it depend how far you live from some decent pet shop and what they have on offer.

Tom

More
19 Aug 2015 18:50 #4 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
To some a road trip is great but when you have to bring three young kids that love pulling items off shelves and wrecking shops it soon turns into a nightmare and after two minutes they want to go get ice cream or something like that it just turn one off the road trip. I would be one for delivery and espically if it's only 10 Euro best thing about some shops you can ask someone to look at the fish and help decide before the purchase Is made. I know not everyone will be in the same boat as me but young kids are tough work and a extra pair of eyes are needed.

Something fishie going on here

More
19 Aug 2015 19:03 #5 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Hmmm may have to find out where they are exactly. Not exactly a surplus of fish shops in kerry

More
19 Aug 2015 19:07 #6 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
@apm is that just a coincidence :laugh:

More
19 Aug 2015 19:57 #7 by apm (Andy McKenna)
Just a coincidence , apm have been my initials for nearly 70 years ! No idea where in Kerry they are based , advert only on Done Deal a couple of days , they do have a website but very basic . will wait and see if anyone has any information on them .
I do prefer to buy fish direct from the shop and choose myself , but not much choice in Donegal .My LFS are very helpful but have very limited selection , they will order fish in but that still does not let me select fish and quality is variable to say the least .
Large selection an hour and a half drive away , but last week over half the tanks had at least one dead fish on display , pity because they could do well .
I have dealt with Seahorse on several occasions , delivery to Donegal only €7 and quality usually good , although I have received a few poor looking specimens , but nearly all survived .And they are very efficient to deal with (thank you Jason ,web orders )
So that is why I am always interested to find suppliers who deliver , main problem in N.West seems to be the wholesaler who has monopoly on supplies ,
LFS are not big enough to have more than the one supplier.

More
19 Aug 2015 20:32 #8 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
I think aquatic village are starting to do deliveries now as well

Eric

More
19 Aug 2015 22:11 #9 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
I can only add to this,ive used the delivery service of Seahorses and found them great.it saves me alot of money not having drive from cork to dublin.I love the actual visiting of a shop and picking out the fish you want but alas the distance and drive time makes it a full day out. Of course when im in dublin i do get out there as much as i can but if there is a fish i need ive no issue in getting it by mail,especially when the service and the staff are solid. I just wish there was some decent shops in Cork that I could visit and get that "buzz" we all have when choosing fish.
Gavin

More
28 Oct 2015 13:03 #10 by jondun101 (jondun101)
If a retailer doesn't have to worry about shop location and concentrates more on quality fish stock in greater numbers will that not bring down prices somewhat? I'd have no problem buying fish online if that meant a greater choice of species.

More
02 Dec 2015 18:18 #11 by robert (robert carter)
hi ,I know both aquatic village and seahorse deliver fish ,while both of these shops are great ,theres nothing to beet the trip to the shop a chat with the lads and the wealth of information they have ,I get a great kick out of looking in all the tanks and picking the presise colour and shape of the fish I want ,checking its healthy, the trip home is full of expectancy . robert

Time to create page: 0.053 seconds