Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

New Year's 'fishy' resolutions.

More
31 Dec 2015 01:54 - 31 Dec 2015 01:58 #1 by JohnH (John)
This rather follows on from the post of best and worst experiences of 2015 but since we always (well, nearly always) ask for everyone's New Year Resolutions - with emphasis on our hobby I thought this new year should really be no exception.

For myself I really (no, honestly) must get my fish room completed (some staging renovation required after a desperate water leak from one of the tanks in the top tier was left unresolved and the staging started to 'decompose'.
I also want to finish the 'ring main' from the air blower to feed all the tanks (using a higher output blower than the one I'm using now. - It's all renovated and is ready to go - all I have to do is get my brain in gear for long enough to start the job) - (but obviously not until the racking has been repaired).
I'm also planning a 'sort of' automated water change system, but this might have to wait until the other tasks are completed first.

As to hopes for 2016, I have several less-common species of fish which I am hoping I'll be able to coax into wishing to reproduce, but that's a most definite 'hope' rather than a 'plan'.

Now, to throw the topic open to our other members (and those who don't post as regularly - after all it's only a bit of fun, anyway).

John

p.s. Happy New Year to each and every one of you - thanks for sticking with us throughout the year - and to our recent 'new arrivals' Welcome along, and a Happy New Year to you also.

Oops, I just realised I've posted this a day early, it's not 2016 until tomorrow!
Oh well it can stay now - it'll give everyone a day to think of their replies.

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 31 Dec 2015 01:58 by JohnH (John). Reason: Silly me - posted this a day early.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
31 Dec 2015 12:10 #2 by paulv (paul vickers)
Nice one John, your resolutions are extensive,mine , just 1 to replace my return pump from 4000lph to 8000 hoping to improve the tank nitrates level.
Very happy New year to everyone on the site.

More
31 Dec 2015 12:32 #3 by robert (robert carter)
hi all , firstly can I wish all members a very happy new year and good fishkeeping for2016, thanks for putting up with my many questions being returning to the hobby after 20 years . John a special thank you for running a really great and informative forum would be lost without in . My new years resolution will be to learn as much as I can about the hobby in order to give my fish a healthy and happy home

More
31 Dec 2015 16:35 #4 by JohnH (John)

hi all , firstly can I wish all members a very happy new year and good fishkeeping for2016, thanks for putting up with my many questions being returning to the hobby after 20 years . John a special thank you for running a really great and informative forum would be lost without in . My new years resolution will be to learn as much as I can about the hobby in order to give my fish a healthy and happy home

Thanks for the generous words Robert - but, as I always need to point out, I really am only the person dealing with the 'peripheries' of the Forum - all real credit must unconditionally go to Darragh. He deals with all the proper Administration and without him the whole thing would have gone 'down the toilet' years ago.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
31 Dec 2015 21:29 #5 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Happy New year to all.
Fish resolutions for the new year is im hoping to breed whatever species off fish im keeping
Also hoping to drive over to the Aagb members weekend in the UK in April so I can bring back many different species of betta

Eric

More
01 Jan 2016 08:32 #6 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Happy new year to all and thanks for all the help you have given me over the last few years back in this hobby (obsession as the wife calls it). My resolution is just to learn more and get arise to the point where it is thriving and not struggling with po4 issues!
Tho honestly it looks like it might be getting there finally!
I'll help out anyone where I can as always as well!
I'd like to change my canna tanks to slightly bigger ones! I have a couple of larger tanks that need a bit of tlc before they can be used.... so I'll have to get that done!

And other than that, get to meet some of the lads that have helped me so much over the last few years! I know we talk about it, but we really must make an effort to try make it a bi monthly meet up and talk somewhere
It is surprising what you will learn just by meeting more of the people on the forum

More
02 Jan 2016 20:45 #7 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Happy new year to all. Hmmm do they have to be realistic? Get my tropical tank from the garage to the dinning room, wish me luck with the negotiations :P

Would like to replace my vision 180 as it is looking a bit the worse for wear and the aquabasis has run out of nutrients.

More
02 Jan 2016 22:32 #8 by trent (trent)
happy new year to everyone. im going to have serious go at breeding my albino discus and maybe get a standard pair too. leave my 200ltr for just catfish and albino kribs. and lastly try to take part in this forum more

More
03 Jan 2016 00:10 #9 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
Great topic john and happy new year to all on the forum first I going to build a new unit for my 5ft tank and leave it where the sump is more accessible. Next hopefully I break the duck egg and get my red terrors to breed. And final I going to do a 180L planted tank it has being on my mind for a long time just never got around to doing one.

Something fishie going on here

More
03 Jan 2016 18:35 #10 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
A simple 30 litre Betta tank that i have wanted for years!

More
03 Jan 2016 19:59 - 03 Jan 2016 20:00 #11 by tetdiscus (Maritess McCarthy)
I will try not to buy a lot of fish related items.Well, besides the monthly maintenance. Good luck with me though. Happy New Year everyone!
Last edit: 03 Jan 2016 20:00 by tetdiscus (Maritess McCarthy).

More
04 Jan 2016 12:19 #12 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Happy new year to all :woohoo:
new year s resolution is reorganizing the shrimp room to fit more tanks and a desk as i m planning to go to college in september :)

More
04 Jan 2016 14:58 #13 by ger310 (Ger .)
Long before I ever got into Tropicals I have wanted a Koi pond........I've never had a small area of land of my own to build it though,well until now :)......so around March/April the work shall begin :)

Happy New Year to all :)

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
04 Jan 2016 19:39 #14 by robert (robert carter)
Brilliant great to here another koi pond being built , what size are u going for

More
04 Jan 2016 22:28 #15 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
I have one built from two or three year ago if fell by the waist side because of the face I needed a new pond liner for 10,000 L pond if I am lucky it will be finished this year.

Something fishie going on here

More
05 Jan 2016 08:50 #16 by robert (robert carter)
I have been involved in building four ponds to date some of them for friends ,we have always brought liners, filters ,pumps and uvs in from the uk . the biggest pond I was envolved in was 10000 gals about ten years ago . its still running ok

More
06 Jan 2016 00:06 #17 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Hmmm! All this pond talk has me thinking about a new resolution.

Time to create page: 0.065 seconds