Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Brexit (where's my tin opener)

More
28 Jun 2016 09:16 #1 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
So I'm surprised this hasn't got a mention yet and thought it was time to open the can of worms.

How do we think brexit may effect out hobby?

With stock coming from UK etc. Things may get interesting.

Thoughts
Q

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
28 Jun 2016 09:54 #2 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Dayum! Sh!t just got real!

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
28 Jun 2016 12:20 #3 by robert (robert carter)
being British this is of great interest to me , at this stage there is total confusion, and I wonder will they leave , there constitution has very little written down , leagally the government does NOT have to go with the peoples vote if the government of the day vote against leaving . if they do leave which may take up to two years reckon there will trade deals done will the eu so probally make little difference to us . this is only my opinion and the problem at present is that everyone has a different opinion , as I said total confusion

More
28 Jun 2016 19:24 #4 by paulv (paul vickers)
Scotland is pushing hard to leave the UK and stay in the EU, if that happens then it will be the enk of the UK and start of little Britain. I'm a driver for UK biggest transport company, stobart. They might have to pull out of Ireland. Uncertainty for all of us. Importing fish from the UK may in future involve dept of agriculture quarantine.

More
28 Jun 2016 21:22 #5 by alan 64 (alan)
Just my opinion that i think fair play to the uk and the rest of the countries should follow suit and tell europe (germany) where to go, this country has no identity anymore we are ruled by the germans and a shower of clowns in our government get paid to carry out there orders and all enda does is lick there h**les how the people of this country voted them snakes back into power is beyond me if st paddy was around hed bate kenny ove this country with a stick

More
28 Jun 2016 22:10 #6 by JohnH (John)
Don't want to begin to sound in any way as though we're being awkward or censorial but could we just ask that nothing gets written which could leave the Forum open to any kind of legal action.

John
BTW, I'm in complete agreement with Alan - and Paul.
These must be worrying times for you, Paul - you have my sympathy (not that that is of any help).

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
29 Jun 2016 12:20 #7 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
It is a Large and complex issue but there are other forums for political comment. I was just wondering what people felt about how the limited area of our hobby may be impacted, I for example use parcel motel quite a bit.

More
29 Jun 2016 12:37 #8 by JohnH (John)
Theoretically anything bought from the UK right now should work out cheaper due to the weakness of Sterling's exchange rate - but by the same token anyone receiving UK pensions are doing less well - but I guess it's a sort of 'swings and roundabouts' scenario.
So it should follow that anything supplied to shops in the Republic from England will be noticeably cheaper - if they're charged for in Sterling.
I personally remain sceptical but would be happy to be proved wrong.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
29 Jun 2016 14:06 #9 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
I personnally rarely buy from the uk due to the exchange rate, usually cheaper for me to buy in France or Germany.
That may change if the pound get weaker...

More
29 Jun 2016 20:02 #10 by paulv (paul vickers)
If the exit actually does go ahead, I'm thinking that any live imports are subject to quarantine, and all dry goods subject to import duty.making them very expensive, especially for the fish trade here. Buying directly from the EU maybe our best bet.

More
30 Jun 2016 14:06 - 30 Jun 2016 14:09 #11 by Bill (Bill Hunter)
Ireland and the UK never really cut the ties completely between each other. I don't see how things between the two countries can really change. The only big difference I see is borders between North and South, but unless the EU forces Ireland to put up a border I don't think it will happen.
The UK were never committed 100% to the EU anyway. I think this was inevitable, but that is only my opinion, one I've always held. If I remember correctly - my memory is getting a tad foggy :crazy: - Ted Heath was the man that dragged the UK into the EU screaming and shouting. It never was popular. It's certainly popular with the present young generation, but it is all they have known. Personally, I'm anti EU, it is a definite bone of contention between myself and the SNP.
As for our hobby; not a lot should change. We've always paid more or less depending the exchange rate between the Euro and the Pound, that won't change, but shopping in the EU, for instance in Germany, could well be cheaper, VAT for a start is lower. Shipping prices are slightly lower. It takes the same time to get a package from Germany as it does from the UK. So I don't think anything will be lost to our hobby, we just need to look further afield.
Bill
Last edit: 30 Jun 2016 14:09 by Bill (Bill Hunter).

More
05 Jul 2016 00:20 #12 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Sorry for not being on sooner lol. I love this topic,

Ireland and England have their own trade agreements that are actually still in place since 1920's and till 1970's before we all joined the EC. (EU)

When agreeing new trade deals UK will have to agree with the other states of the EU, as in all of them, 27 countries, 27 trade dealing's for each and ever country, and if one country decides no i dont like that, they can veto the whole of the EU from signing said trade deal.

If your worried about cargo of fish coming through UK to ireland as long as they dont leave the airport, there will be no need for quarantine as they will have their papers in order leaving country of departure. Airport cargo rules state as long as they stay in an airport quarantine zone while in the airport there is no need to quarantine in destination country. Most orders from SH which alot of us use actually come through the czech republic, france and america :) well thats as far as i know.

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds