Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Fish show today

More
27 May 2007 09:50 #1 by Gerard_Evans (Gerard Evans)
I would like to say well done to all who helped at the fish show today, well done boys and girls you all deserve the praise.

I must say the response from the public was great. it was a vast improvement on the last show. As there are to many to thank for the hard work over the last two days and over the last few months, people do not realise all the hours of work planning a show.

Thanks to the two judges phil and derek. i must say the buzz is back in the hobby long may it continue. thanks to all the sponsors and too steven, Gavin, and the old man drew.

See you all tonight in the lock up in ballymun to put all the show tanks back

regards
gerard Evans
www.waterworldaquariums.com

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2007 14:00 #2 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Yes, a huge thanks to everyone but particularly Darren(Platy252) and Nessa(Goldy) who put a MASSIVE amount of work into organising this show.

We just about had enough tanks for all the fish benched and the vistor numbers were huge. No fish was lost throughout the show which is some achievement with all the varities of water requirements etc etc . The raffle and auction were also a great success.

Here's to the next one!

Daragh

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
27 May 2007 14:08 #3 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: Fish show today
It was a phenominal success.
Pity I had the kids or the weekend as I would have liked to have helped more.

• Red Empress (Red Empress)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
27 May 2007 14:11 #4 by Red Empress (Red Empress)
Replied by Red Empress (Red Empress) on topic Re: Fish show today
Well done guys. :D

Great news that no fish were lost.

More
27 May 2007 15:14 #5 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
I have to agree, it was a fantastic success. Let's hope it will become an annual event.

Regards,

Ken.

• lucky_dresden (lucky_dresden)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
27 May 2007 15:19 #6 by lucky_dresden (lucky_dresden)
Replied by lucky_dresden (lucky_dresden) on topic Re: Fish show today
Great show. And I won a fishing rod! One of the tanks or the RO unit or some of the booze would have done but they don't call me lucky for nothing.

Congrats and thanks to the organisers and helpers.

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
27 May 2007 15:47 #7 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re: Fish show today
A big thank you to the organisers. 8) This was a great success, super well organised in a fantastic hall ; it was also a great pleasure to be able to put a face on people's names ! :)
Great day.
Already looking forward to the next one !

Valerie

More
27 May 2007 15:56 #8 by Acara (Dave Walters)
I must agree with everyone,and a huge thanks to all who put in hours of effort and hard work so the rest of us could enjoy it.
Thanks also to all the sponsors and suppliers of raffle prizes etc.I hope they all do well out of the publicity.(they'll do well out of me anyways,I have tanks to fill :lol: )

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

• john gannon (john gannon)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
27 May 2007 16:24 #9 by john gannon (john gannon)
Replied by john gannon (john gannon) on topic Re: Fish show today
congrats on a great show,just wondering what fish won fish of the show
thanks
john

More
27 May 2007 16:26 #10 by Acara (Dave Walters)
A lovely discus

More
27 May 2007 16:30 #11 by zig (zig)
Replied by zig (zig) on topic Re: Fish show today
Great success today, great show, big credit to Darren and Nessa though, hats off to those guys, sponsers in the hall were fantastic as well big effort made on their behalf, some nice bargains on those stalls for the day, overall a great success I think everyone that was there will agree.

There is definitely a demand for a well run fish show each year in Ireland, hopefully it will become an annual event, location was excellent as well.

Great to meet all the regulars here as well that was great, off to bed now though, wrecked tired, never knew there was so much work involved, very enjoyable nonetheless.

More
27 May 2007 17:18 #12 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
just a note to congratulate everyone for today! :D :D :D we can not wait till next year! thanks to every one for a wonderfull day. congratulation to all who entered fish standard was so high. i felt so sorry for the jugdes their job was so hard!!!

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
27 May 2007 17:35 #13 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re: Fish show today
Well;
I had a really enjoyable day...same time, same place next month? (only joking!)

I'd like to echo the thanks for all the 'behind the scenes' work done by everyone - but especially Nessa and Darren...I still can't believe that some
(not even worthy of an adjective) would stoop so low as to steal his pump.

Otherwise a brilliant show - a great day spent in really good company.

Thanks again,

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
27 May 2007 18:06 #14 by goldy (goldy .)
Replied by goldy (goldy .) on topic Re: Fish show today
hi yall thanks a million. I have to say I absolutely wrecked have not slept since Friday but weaht a weekend. The show was brilliant the turnout on the day was phenomenal. teh work that went in to setting up and all who helped were brilliant. Thanks to everyone who particiapted from hauling tanks to seling raffle tickets to just being there and giving a dig out.

Thanks to the sponsors for all the wonderful raffle prizes and great stalls on the day. the auction was a real hit well done Chris and Anthony and Denis..everyone in the audience got one...only joking the atmosphere in the venue was electric and not a cross word except for one unfortunate incident....

The judges had a tough time of it but did the club proud. Thanks to Phil Derek and also Martin who did a smashing job under severe pressure. There wasnt a spare tank to be had and all 200 of them were washed
and cleaned ready for benching. Thanks guys. Best of all not one poor soul went to heaven and all went home safe and well.

I also have to say a huge thank you to the ladys in St Aengus who were trojan workers and kept us all going all day with tea coffee and moral support. I dont think I would be still standing....well almost horizontal issh if they had not been so wonderful. They fed most of Tallaght and still smiled and kept us up. Thanks girls

Anyway I just want to say its only the beginning maybe next year will be even better althought Darena nd myself may not be recovered for quite some time I am sure there will be lively discussion in the future about what the next one might bring.....

Good night and tahnks to you all. cant believe I have to go to work tomorrow.

Nessa

More
27 May 2007 18:07 #15 by goldy (goldy .)
ps sorry

the Best Fish in Show was won by Jimmy Bingham for his beautiful Discus

I am sure that the pictures will start coming in soon and you will see it then. a stunning fish. Well done Jimmy

:lol:

• georgina (georgina)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 May 2007 02:37 #16 by georgina (georgina)
Replied by georgina (georgina) on topic Re: Fish show today
Hey guys,
Show was brilliant, I really enjoyed it. The turn-out was brilliant, and i think we will see a lot more people on the forum coz of it! Loads of people coming back to the hobbytoo, which is great!
Well done to all involved in the organising, it was a credit to ye!

Roll on next year! :lol:

G

More
28 May 2007 04:30 #17 by Tetra (Tetra)
Replied by Tetra (Tetra) on topic Re: Fish show today
Show was fantastic. Some really stunning fish especially the galaxy rasbora which was the first time I'v ever seen one in real life beautiful fish.
Also the size of the clown loach I was shocked that they actual got that fat. Brillant show guys.
Oh is the show going to be a yearly thing now or was it a once off?
It would be great if it was done once every 6 months as there was a big attendance....or am I asking to much :oops: :oops:

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 May 2007 04:31 #18 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re: Fish show today
Missed it. Had to do a family dinner. :(
Looking forward to seeing pics (there are pics coming right?)

More
28 May 2007 04:34 #19 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Hopefully have some pictures up tomorrow, I left my camera behind! Luckily Darren found it and will hold onto it for me.

But there were other cameras there, so there should be some shots coming soon.

Daragh

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 May 2007 05:02 #20 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Replied by ChrisM (ChrisM) on topic Re: Fish show today
I better add my thoughts on the day.....

Alot of us didnt know what to expect on the day,yet Darren and Nessa (and all other volunteers) still risked alot of time and effort to put on a wonderful display.Luckily alot of people showed up and made the trojan effort put in by Nessa,Darren et al all worth while.

I have to say it was great to see other hobbyists (faces to names) and punters with smiles on their faces throughout the day.I myself had a great time and was delighted to be involved with such a well ran and coordinated event.Just a special mention to the people who loaded up the truck,unloaded it,setup the displays,dismantled the displays,loaded the truck,and finally unloaded it......the judges.....staff of St. Aengus......sponsors (who were extremely generous)......promoters........people who benched fish.....and the public for coming...Thanks.

Hopefully next years show will grow on from this years success.

More
28 May 2007 08:44 #21 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Hi must agree i was very impressed by the turnout, organisation etc. well done to Darren, Nessa etc.... As we all know fishkeeping is still at its infancy in Ireland but yesterday brought it on leaps n bounds!!!!!!
Great to put faces to names as well and to see some i havent seen in years!!!!
WELL DONE TO ALL INVOLVED!
Looking forward to next years!!

More
28 May 2007 11:09 #22 by Deeco (Deeco)
Replied by Deeco (Deeco) on topic Re: Fish show today
well done to all who organized was there for bout half hour lucky i was wearing shorts the heat was mad

P.S. Seen Simon Maguire's name about is he the guy from fish antics

You know yourself

More
28 May 2007 13:06 #23 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Hey Deeco, no he works with me in Aquatic village, The guy whos 6ft 8" !!!!

More
28 May 2007 13:36 #24 by Acara (Dave Walters)
How do I explain to a friend how the fish were judged?I texted her yesterday to say I won a prize and she's just sent this "so how did ur fish win,they dont race them sure they dont,cos how can ya be sure they go in the right direction?"
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

More
28 May 2007 13:37 #25 by goldy (goldy .)
maybe it could become a yearly thing but every 6 months no way couldnt cope with that every 6 months will need the year to recover

Glad to see the shops/sponsors have positive things to say....I hope it will still be positive when they find out the sponsorship has gone up...ha ha only joking

hopefully this weekend will see a real start to things moving and shaking in the fish keeping world
nessa

More
28 May 2007 14:17 #26 by Deeco (Deeco)
Replied by Deeco (Deeco) on topic Re: Fish show today
cheers Drew Were they his fish in the tanks aswell

You know yourself

More
28 May 2007 14:22 #27 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
A great day had by all. It is great to see so many fish keepers in the one place having such a great time.
A big thank you to the judges, Derek Doyle, Phil Kearney and Martin Roach. I now have a better idea of the work they have to put in judging fish shows.
The show would never have happened without the support from the Spencer's people who were prepared to show there fish, Gerry Evens for storing the staging and tanks, all the people on the forum for spreading the word, the 2 ladies in the hall who really looked after us, the streaker who rounded off the day just nicely, all the people that came along to join in the fun especially all the people that traveled a great distance to support us on the day, the fish for looking there best on the day,the people who got stuck in on sat/sunday with the truck, staging,tanks etc. and last but not least Nessa for prodding me every time i looked like i was going to fall asleep over the weekend. If i have missed anyone thank you.

Next year we wont be having a raffle. We will just give everything to Acara :wink:

More
28 May 2007 14:41 #28 by zale (Mark carroll)
Well Done to all involved in the running of the show :wink: :wink: I was fuming I couldn't stay for longer, but a big thanks goes out to Gavin for the lovely Juwel tank I won in the raffle 8) and Yes I'll be stocking it from his shop.

The wife asked me was I going to sell it or give it to one of my family, I said don't be foolish woman I'll find somewhere for it. :wink:

Looking forward to the next show.

Mark

• Kershaw (Kershaw)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 May 2007 14:44 #29 by Kershaw (Kershaw)
Replied by Kershaw (Kershaw) on topic Re: Fish show today
Great show guys, Have not been to a show since the St Pappins aqua shows of the 80s... seeing all the tanks lined up brought back so many memories.
That clown loach was super.
Was there a 'Best fish of show' winner??

More
28 May 2007 15:16 #30 by Acara (Dave Walters)
a bit embarrassing platty252,mark me down as a sponsor for a prize next year! :oops:

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds