Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Seahorse Aquariums Seahorse Talk on Saturday

More
01 Nov 2017 12:18 - 01 Nov 2017 12:21 #1 by JohnH (John)
Just a small 'heads up' for anyone interested in this talk, the Venue is now fixed to be held at The Guernsey Suite at The Red Cow Hotel.
Talk starts at 7pm but be there by 6.30 if you want to take advantage of the offered free food!

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 01 Nov 2017 12:21 by JohnH (John). Reason: Spelling and addition of the lightbulb icon

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
01 Nov 2017 20:09 #2 by robert (robert carter)
Hi , john . My understanding from seahorse that while this event is free you have to register as places are limited . I was going but am working that night . They are trying to do something to record it podcast or utube , would be a great night

More
01 Nov 2017 23:45 - 01 Nov 2017 23:47 #3 by JohnH (John)
You're right, Robert - it was most remiss of me to forget to mention the fact that anyone planning to go will need to make a booking in advance, even though entry is free. So thanks for adding this information.
Sadly I'll not be able to attend either as my car is being a bit uncooperative!
I looked into the public transport option, but there doesn't seem to be anything going back in my direction by the time the talk will have ended.

I can fairly positively confirm that the event will be being recorded so hopefully it will be accessible at a later date.

John

ITFS member.

Last edit: 01 Nov 2017 23:47 by JohnH (John). Reason: omission corrected

More
07 Nov 2017 21:46 #4 by JohnH (John)
There will be a further discussion to celebrate Seahorse Aquariums' ten-year birthday this coming Saturday at the Red Cow. It will be a TRITON TALK with Triton founder Ehsan Dashti. Although primarily of interest to Marine keepers I'm sure there will be points of interest for everyone.

Details are:
Talk: FREE! But places must be booked. Please send a comment to the shop with the number of seats you'd like to reserve.
Date: Sat 11th November 2017.
Time: 7pm (can arrive from 6:30pm).
Place: Red Cow Hotel, Guernsey Suite (just across the street from the Seahorse Aquariums Dublin store).

For further details on what will be discussed see here: bit.ly/2A9WZo8

ITFS member.

More
08 Nov 2017 00:11 #5 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)

There will be a further discussion to celebrate Seahorse Aquariums' ten-year birthday this coming Saturday at the Red Cow. It will be a TRITON TALK with Triton founder Ehsan Dashti. Although primarily of interest to Marine keepers I'm sure there will be points of interest for everyone.

Details are:
Talk: FREE! But places must be booked. Please send a comment to the shop with the number of seats you'd like to reserve.
Date: Sat 11th November 2017.
Time: 7pm (can arrive from 6:30pm).
Place: Red Cow Hotel, Guernsey Suite (just across the street from the Seahorse Aquariums Dublin store).

For further details on what will be discussed see here: bit.ly/2A9WZo8

John just a question I have to ask over the last week or so we have been talking about sponsors being pretty much non existent on the forum.

And it being defenitly a factor in things going down hill for the forum.

Seahorse has a profile on here

So why didn't they post about these meetings and talks them selfs.

Would of been a great way to get back involved.

Just an observation I had.

Regards
Craig

at the end of the day it becomes nite

More
08 Nov 2017 00:53 #6 by JohnH (John)
I get your point Craig, and have spoken to them (and other sponsors) on this very subject but in truth if they aren't prepared to post their stock lists and events there's really little can be done to make them, even though I dearly wish they would. They all seem to have either their own websites or facebook pages - or both now which the shops seem to try to keep updated.

My intention in making these particular posts - and last year's notification of Aquatic Village's Dennerle Chris Lukhaup event was purely for the benefit of our members and casual readers. And anyway, they were all free events so promoting them would hardly be considered advertising the shops (although I suppose that's [very indirectly] what the events are intended to do).

On my next trip to Dublin I will raise the subject in the shops I visit again - and doubtless get the same pledges I got each time before that they will participate more!

John

ITFS member.

More
08 Dec 2017 15:27 #7 by JohnH (John)
They have now published the film of the talk on youtube:

Seahorse talk

John

ITFS member.

More
08 Dec 2017 23:27 #8 by robert (robert carter)
Hi John , thanks for the info , just watched very good but a bit worrying at the same time

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds