Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Humans drive Yangtze dolphin to extinction

More
10 Aug 2007 19:37 #1 by richardbunn (Richard Bunn)
Scientists from North America, Europe and Asia have declared the Yangtze River dolphin or baiji (Lipotes vexillifer) extinct after an extensive survey of the middle-lower Yangtze River failed to locate any either by sight or acoustically.

The baiji, long been recognised as one of the rarest and most critically threatened mammal species, now has the dubious honour of being the first cetacean species driven to extinction by human activity.

This freshwater river dolphin is the sole living representative of the family Lipotidae (a group that diverged from other cetaceans about 20 million years ago) and is restricted to the middle-lower Yangtze River drainage and the neighbouring Qiantang River in eastern China.

The scientists carried out an intensive survey using both sight and acoustic methods in the main Yangtze River channel between Yichang and Shanghai (an in-channel distance of 1669 km) for a period of six weeks in November–December 2006, and failed to locate a single baiji.

According to the scientists: “The lack of any baiji sightings or acoustic recordings in the Yangtze during this survey forces us to conclude that the species is now likely to be extinct.

“While it is conceivable that a couple of surviving individuals were missed by the survey teams, our inability to detect any baiji in the main channel of the river despite this intensive search effort indicates that the prospect of finding and translocating them to an ex situ reserve has all but vanished.

“The continued deterioration of the Yangtze ecosystem means that the species has no hope of even short-term survival as a viable population in the river, if it has not already disappeared.”

The main threat that led to the decline and extinction of the baiji is primarily massive uncontrolled and unselective fishing, which led to many baiji being killed as by-catch.

The authors state that “Although relatively few data are available on baiji mortality, at least half of all known baiji deaths in the 1970s and 1980s were caused by rolling hooks and other fishing gear, and electro-fishing accounted for 40% of baiji deaths recorded during the 1990s...”

The baiji is not the only species endemic to the Yangtze River that has gone extinct or is in very grave danger of doing so.

The Chinese paddlefish, Psephurus gladius, not reported since 2003, may have befallen the same fate, and the Yangtze finless porpoise (Neophocaena phocaenoides asiaeorientalis) has experienced a rapid decline.

The authors conclude with a chilling warning: “The baiji’s probable extinction serves as a potent reminder to conservationists that even large charismatic and nominally protected animals are still in grave danger of being lost; species cannot be expected to save themselves, and intervention may need to be swift and decisive.”

For more information, see the paper: Turvey, ST, RL Pitman, BL Taylor, J Barlow, T Akamatsu, LA Barrett, X-J Zhao, RR Reeves, BS Stewart, K-X Wang, Z Wei, X-F Zhang, LT Pusser, M Richlen, JR Brandon and D Wang (2007) First human-caused extinction of a cetacean species? Biology Letters doi:10.1098/rsbl.2007.0292

"Everything's going perfectly in my aquarium. What do I do???"

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2007 00:04 #2 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Saw this on BBC yesterday Richard. It's very sad indeed. Ray D'Arcy had a piece on time travel today. The argument being that if time travel was ever invented, we'd have tourists here from the future. Someone texted in \"why would anyone want to time travel to where we are now, these are the dark ages\". When I hear things like this, I can't help, but agree.

Regards,

Ken.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Aug 2007 22:16 #3 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re:Humans drive Yangtze dolphin to extinction
It makes me physically sick to hear stories like this.:sick:

More
11 Aug 2007 23:22 #4 by richardbunn (Richard Bunn)
Anthony wrote:

It makes me physically sick to hear stories like this.:sick:

I went on to the site that ran the project. They have a soundbite on their of the dolphin. I actually cried because nobody will ever hear it again.

"Everything's going perfectly in my aquarium. What do I do???"

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Aug 2007 00:57 #5 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re:Humans drive Yangtze dolphin to extinction
I hate to hear these stories. I just can`t believe it.
The next Mammal will be the Tiger.

• Vincent (Vincent)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Aug 2007 06:58 #6 by Vincent (Vincent)
Replied by Vincent (Vincent) on topic Re:Humans drive Yangtze dolphin to extinction
On this subject ,,,can someone please pacify my sometimes pangs of guilt and assure me that the fish we keep , being collected from the wild,,and all other stuff in tanks like live rock,.,,are not irreversibly detrimental to the environment...???

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Aug 2007 08:59 #7 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re:Humans drive Yangtze dolphin to extinction
@ Vincent,
we had this argument before. Once local populations can see that they will be able to make a living by a selling ornamental fish they are more likely to look after their environment. If anybody can give me only one example of a fish being made extinct or comong close to itin the wild, here is your chance.
Galaxy rasbora (or whatever it is called now) has been eaten by the local population for years. For crying out loud, it's been sold in tins!!! L-46 Hypancistrus zebra, another no. The Brazilian's government is eager to be seen to do something about environmemtal protection, whereas they really don't give a monkey's. That's why they introduced positive lists, meaning that any genus that's not on the list, can't be exported whether it is endangered or not. They will become extinct with a whole lot of other fish species ,however, once the aluminium mining will start on the Rio Xingu. BTW that's a joint venture with the Chinsese....
Botia sidthimunki thought to be extinct in the wild and they tried to blame fishkeepers never mind that a dam blocked their migration route to their spawning grounds. They found new populations now but still goes to show that we as fishkeepers are the easiest targets. No lobby....

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Aug 2007 11:07 #8 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re:Humans drive Yangtze dolphin to extinction
It is desperately sad news.
Another creature lost to time, before its time.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Aug 2007 12:38 #9 by Anthony (Anthony)
Not to sound racist
(I think the Chinese are a very noble race)but the Chinese are
virtually raping Africa of all its natural resources.
South Americanis next.

Russia, Iran and Venuseula have signed up a treaty to explore to
sell oil. Russia have laid clain to half of Antartica.
They will be drilling there for oil. It is going to be an enviromental disaster.
So go to the Zoo and take some pictures of Polar bears and Walruses and if you are away on holiday take some Whale pics.
It won`t be long before they are all gone too.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Aug 2007 14:01 #10 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re:Humans drive Yangtze dolphin to extinction
Venezuela?
As much as I like to see it Chavez sticking it to George W. at times as much do I think that he's a hypocrite. He banned all ornamental fish exports from Venezuela. There goes the Apistogramma hongsloi population from Venezuela. Right smack in the middle of an oil exploration area. Plus several other L number plecs and God knows what ever else.

South American countries in general are a joke when it come to environmental policy. As long as it looks that they are doing something nobody seems to object.

Holger

• Vincent (Vincent)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
31 Aug 2007 20:40 #11 by Vincent (Vincent)
Replied by Vincent (Vincent) on topic Re:Humans drive Yangtze dolphin to extinction
Saw a report on TV yesterday,,,think BBC world ???....that this dolphin has been sighted and filmed ,,,so not extinct,,,maybe some people with the skill and know how can step in to save it and make sure it does survive after all,,,

More
Time to create page: 0.051 seconds