Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Triggerfish in Irish waters

More
10 Dec 2007 15:23 #1 by Acara (Dave Walters)
I was flicking through a sunday paper in a takeaway yesterday morning,when I came across an article about triggerfish in Irish coastal waters.I can't remember the exact species,but would recognise a photo.I knew they were here,and becoming more common,but was surprised at just how regular they are being bought up in crab and lobster pots,apparantly some fisherman are finding them in 3 out of 10 pots lifted,on average.Over 100 have been tagged and released lately as part of a study.Seems they come up from Africa or the Med in summer.
They are voracious predators of crabs,lobsters,shellfish,etc,so will be causing a lot of damage.Apparantly they are very tasty,and becoming very popular as a restaurant dish.
Did anybody else see the article?Would like to get a copy of it,cant remember what paper,1 of the crappy types.

Dave.

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Dec 2007 16:10 #2 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Replied by ChrisM (ChrisM) on topic Re:Triggerfish in Irish waters
Good read Dave,interesting as usual!

I googled and found this:

www.nationalaquarium.ie/species/triggerFishProfile.php

No articles though!

More
10 Dec 2007 16:15 #3 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Yeah,I saw that on a quick google,thats not the pic thay had in the paper,but then they probably just put in the first pic they found of a triggerfish from whatever image library they use.You know yourself how accurate these people are,I've been \"quoted\" in papers in the past,and by god they really jumble the \"quotes\" around to put across the message THEY want you to hear.

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Dec 2007 16:23 #4 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
\"WATCH OUT FOR PUFFER THE TRAGIC DRAGON

LYNNE KELLEHER
A DEADLY poisonous fish - which kills an average of 50 Japanese people a year - has landed on Irish shores.

The puffer fish or blowfish, usually found in the tropics, is harmless in the water but potentially lethal when served up as a meal.

In Japan, gourmets get a thrill from a Russian roulette-style dinner where, if the fish is improperly prepared, they may ingest a neurotoxin poison 1,200 times stronger than cyanide.

A species of the fish was found washed up on a beach in Tramore in Waterford last week.

The toxin is mainly contained in the fish's ovaries and liver although small amounts are found in all its organs, muscle and skin.

Kevin Flannery, a Department of the Marine inspector and director of Dingle Oceanworld, is warning people to beware of the fish.

He said: \"I don't want to scaremonger, but people should be aware these fish are now in Irish waters.

\"Irish people haven't a clue about the dangers of this tropical fish because it is a stranger to our waters.

\"They talk about Great White sharks off the coast of Cornwall but this fish could be more dangerous to people if they eat it by mistake.

\"They are usually found in the Mediterranean or down near Africa but they are travelling up here.

\"If one washed up on the beach then there are more out there. It won't attack people but if they bring it home and eat it they could be killed.

\"There also can be poison on its skin and if you had a cut on your hand it could get into your system. There is more poison in the fish scales depending on whether it is pregnant or not.\"

Mr Flannery is concerned the fish could be eaten by mistake or picked up by beachgoers.

He added: \"The man who found it last week brought it home and put it in his fridge! Of course he was completely unaware of what it was.

\"Thank God he didn't decide to eat it. It was on the beach and he picked it up and brought it home.\"

And he warned Irish fishermen should also become aware of these poison-laden species.

He said: \"Some fisherman might not know what they are because they are strange to these shores.

The fish that was found was navy blue with a silver belly and was about one-and-a-half foot long.

\"They are called blowfish because they blow themselves up so their prey can't catch them.

\"They also have very sharp teeth for catching crustaceans such as crabs.

They are not aggressive, they just inflate themselves if in danger.\"

He said aggressive trigger fish from the tropics are also coming here in greater and greater numbers.

The rat-like tropical creatures have been coming here in their thousands to gorge on the most expensive seafood. Trigger fish have razor-sharp teeth and have been known to attack humans during the breeding season.

Mr Flannery said: \"We have caught a lot of trigger fish this summer and put them in the aquarium.

We are going to let them go soon and tag them to see where they go when they leave Irish waters and see where they come from.

\"There were very young ones found this year. I don't think they are breeding here because the water is too cold but they are breeding somewhere nearby. The water temperature here has gone up two degrees since the 1950s. They could breed here if they become acclimatised.\"

He said Irish beachgoers should not touch strange species of fish if they come across them.

\"

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Dec 2007 16:25 #5 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
I know this isnt the article but it is very interesting stuff.I must get on a scuba diving course.Maybe the LFKS could organise one for the summer Dave ,would you be up for organising that?

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Dec 2007 16:26 #6 by 2poc (2poc)

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Dec 2007 16:29 #7 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
So a native species tank is a real option when it comes to Marines,as long as you can chill the water!

More
10 Dec 2007 17:27 - 10 Dec 2007 17:29 #8 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Yep.No probs,we'll get that organised,anybody want to express there interest?To pre-answer everyones 1st response,YOU DONT NEED TO BE ABLE TO SWIM.
We will do the courses at the NAC in Blanch.Unfortunately we will be looking at approx 590yoyo for the PADI Open Water course.But,believe me,its well worth it to open up a whole new world.I will post up some of my pretty hopeless photos to give you an idea.
The mrs and I only just agreed this afternoon,that we will prob do the Red Sea next year.

We can aim to do a trip to Lake Malawi,as previously discussed.Google Red Zebra tours for an idea.

I've seen those mad buggers eating that fish on the telly.

Last edit: 10 Dec 2007 17:29 by Acara (Dave Walters).

More
10 Dec 2007 18:24 - 10 Dec 2007 18:25 #9 by Tom (Tom Brecknell)
I would be interested in the Irish dive and I already have my PADI Licence………..Tom.B)
Last edit: 10 Dec 2007 18:25 by Tom (Tom Brecknell). Reason: Left out a word.

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Dec 2007 20:09 #10 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Count me and the missus in for the PADI and the Irish dive,we can discus how much of a discount we should aim for at the LFKS meeting:laugh: :laugh:

More
11 Dec 2007 14:43 #11 by Damian_Ireland (Damian_Ireland)
padi open water and ssi advanded here... would be interested also

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds