Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Redditch Charity Auction Report 9th december 2007

More
11 Dec 2007 22:11 #1 by aquaman0_6 (Tim Edwards)
:) :)

Hi gang

just got our breath back from the charity auction on Sunday at Redditch,Uk...

We started out at 9am as first auction is normally 10.30am and we didnt want to miss anything did we...lol ;)

I say first auction because all fish are displayed for viewing on a large rack,so all fish are labelled and kept in boxes near the stage and then a cross section of fish is taken to fill the rack...this is then the first auction, after 15-20 minutes viewing ,its onwards with the action...

Would you believe there was 5 auctions!!!!! it was by far the best auction of fish i have seen in the last 15 years in the uk.. More than 450 lots of JUST fish.All rare or hard to find,some adult pairs,some bags of youngsters..others especially corys and some killies in breeding trios.

People travelled from as far as Middlesborough,Sussex,Pontefract and Bournemouth to name a few places...

Add a cheap bar where you could get 4 pints for a tenner,hot pork baps and the best bit which is the atmosphere which is amazing and totally friendly and full of banter and you have a winning formula.

Brian Chittenden was there with his show tanks of excellent quality,a table top sale with massive bags of crypto\"s and spare male and female killies looking for love partners was also stashed in a corner.Another table full of live food cultures such as microworm,grindal worm,vinegar eels,wingless flies and a NEW one in banana worm i believe...Tim Addis had his T.A. Aquaculture stall there with all his excellent foods and brine shrimp eggs and tricks plus almond leaves etc.

Below is a list of fish we bought and then a list of fish that were in attendance,those of you who saw the pre auction list..well all i can say is that all those fish were there and OTHERS!!!

We bought ;

Betta Albarmrginata £5 pair x 3 pairs
Diapteron Georgiae £9 pair x 2 pairs
Callopanchax Monroviae £10 pair x 1 pair
Phallicthys Fairweatheri £8 pair x 1 pair
Rivulus Cryptocallus £4 pair x 1 pair
Callopanchax Occidentalis x 5 youngsters (freebie)
Aphyosemion Avichang £10 pair x 1 pair

and many others

Also we saw ;

Betta Channoides
Betta Uberris
Betta Simplex
Betta Macrostoma
Betta Brownorum

Northobranchius killies about 10 types...

Crenicthys Bailyei (super rare killie on some red lists).

Rivulus Xiphidius and 5 other types of Rivulus.

Fundulosoma Thierryi (new location).

5 different types of Aphanius species.

At least 30-40 types of Ahyosemion and Fundulopanchax.

Characodon Audax and Lateralis and other goodieds.

Poeciliopsis,Phallicthys,Limia were other livebearing types on view.

At least 5 different types of Endlers,Wild guppies from Venezuala and lots of half black and moscow guppies in groups of juveniles or trios too.

Catfish were Amblydoras Hancocki,Super large Ancistrus,Octocinclus, and a cory which i think was c69 or similar and other corys to boot...

Also groups of Juliis,Brichardi and others for riftlake lovers...

So all in all it was a very good day and it was all done by say 4pm so very speedy too.

Probably lots of fish i have not mentioned that i have forgotten but its hard to remember so much good stuff...its an overload to the old grey matter...:P

A good report by Tim Addis is on his website...link below

www.ta-aquaculture.co.uk/

Go to top left hand corner and click on Midland charity page,as you can see £542 was raised for Charity so thats a credit to TIM ADDIS and ALAN GREEN who are the brains behind this gem of an auction...

Hope you enjoy this rundown,excuse my wording and grammar us drivers dont use it much...:P ;)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 Dec 2007 01:50 #2 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Sounds like a great day, 450 lots of fish, hmmm will have to mark that on the calendar for next year. I had to google all the killis :-) Some really nice ones you got. The Phallicthys Fairweatheri looks great too, not too many of them around, not a lot about them online even.

Thanks for posting an excellent report.

More
13 Dec 2007 12:27 #3 by goldy (goldy .)
thanks for the update. it sounds like a briliant day out. half of the fish I have never heard of so it would have been a real treat. I will enjoy googling them

More
13 Dec 2007 19:38 - 14 Dec 2007 14:16 #4 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
thanks so much for the up date some really interesting specimens.
It would worth thinking about organising a few days over there for this worthy cause and a great opportunity to meet and greet plus I say again help a worthy cause.

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods
Last edit: 14 Dec 2007 14:16 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods).

Time to create page: 0.036 seconds