Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Resigning as Administrator. All the best.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Anthony (Anthony)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Dec 2007 22:48 #1 by Anthony (Anthony)
Resigning as Administrator. All the best. was created by Anthony (Anthony)
Hi all.
As of effect immediately I am resigning as an Administrator
of the forum. I hope everyone is happy with the ideas and
content I added here. I will continue to be a member and look
in as often as I can.Best of luck in the future and hopefully
it will continue to be a friendly and informative site.
All the best and Happy Christmas...
Anthony.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 Dec 2007 22:54 #2 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Hmmm! What did I miss??

Hope this is a decision based on nothing in particular, that you just want a break.

Hope you stick around anyway. What would we do without your shovel??

Daragh

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Dec 2007 23:57 #3 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re:Resigning as Administrator. All the best.
Well, its not like Anthony isn't known for his sudden rash decisions.
No doubt this will be re-thought in the morning and all will be normal.

If not, where do I apply?!!!

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Dec 2007 23:59 #4 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re:Resigning as Administrator. All the best.
There will be no turn around this time.

More
18 Dec 2007 00:07 #5 by Damian_Ireland (Damian_Ireland)

More
18 Dec 2007 00:14 - 18 Dec 2007 00:19 #6 by zebadee (zebadee)
Anto,

Whatever your reasons, I at least have to say thank you very, very much for all the work and effort you have put into this site over the last while. You were always ready to give a hand where you could and a shovel where you couldn't:P .

I hope you don't go too far away bloke.

John.
Last edit: 18 Dec 2007 00:19 by zebadee (zebadee).

More
18 Dec 2007 00:20 #7 by Acara (Dave Walters)
I'm sure you thought about it for sometime.I don't know what has influenced your decision,but you will be sorely missed in the role.
I would like to thank you for all the hard work and the long,long hours you put into the forum,bringing it up to the level and standard it is today.Whoever fills your boots certainly has their work cut out.
For those that are new to the forum,Anto was,and is,the main driving force behind the LFKS,and it was him who first mooted the idea and got us all together.
Both these tasks carried out while also balancing life with a young family.

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Dec 2007 13:00 #8 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re:Resigning as Administrator. All the best.
what happened there? Did I miss something?

Ok, we have to accept your decision to step down as administrator but I would have liked to have seen a smoother transition to a new admistrator.
Thanks for all the work Anto and hope you'll stay with the forum as a contributor.

Holger

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Dec 2007 13:05 #9 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re:Resigning as Administrator. All the best.
Anthony wrote:

There will be no turn around this time.

'Read my lips: No new taxes!'
'I am not a crook'
'I did not have sex with that woman'
'The Luas will run to the airport'

Other famous last words......:P

More
18 Dec 2007 13:54 #10 by lampeye (lampeye)
the end of an era....who is going to threaten to ban people for life?!!
all the best anto

lampeye

More
18 Dec 2007 14:37 #11 by Gavin (Gavin)
I'm not sure why this occured but thanks for the support over the last while.I would imagine from talking to other members that there seems to be a certain amount of infighting going on now and then between members..this always the case where large groups of people get together to achive anything, human nature I suppose.the internet has a habit of making this all the more difficult/easy depending on the situation.most of the people are tops that I have met in real life but some can come accross (particularly to new members) a bit holier than thou on the forum.It bothers me not in the slightest..i've just heard it for people who used to post and don't anymore. Maybe there is a discussion that should be had about a bit more unity and fair play in the hobby the all the constant back biting and bitching that goes on.when I think back to last years show and anto holding that big koi over his head and the fun we had on the day it seemed like the hobby was really starting to kick off with a unified sense of purpose.maybe I'm wrong here but there seems like a schism is begging to occur, maybe this is the wrong thread to even discuss this..I dunno. anyways anto good luck and thanks for the help with the sponsors part of the forum.

dont make me come over there.

More
18 Dec 2007 15:00 #12 by Tom (Tom Brecknell)
Best of luck Anto, hope whatever new venture you spend your time at works out for you and keep contributing to the forum. All the best, Tom……..B)

More
18 Dec 2007 15:17 #13 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
I don't think Anto owes anyone an explanation, he has brought this forum and the LFKS to a high level.

I'm disappointed to see you go but i sincerely hope you stick around.

Best of luck.

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

More
18 Dec 2007 16:25 #14 by goldy (goldy .)
I obviously missed something.....anyway sorry to see you go Anto but I hope that you have a good Christmas and a very Happy New Year. See you as a normal poster I guess and if not in the new year with the LFKS. Gook luck and best wishes
Nessa

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Dec 2007 18:25 #15 by Didihno (Didihno)
i'd like to say on a serious note that Anto has been both kinds of person to me.
He encouraged me at the start and helped me take the plunge for africans, even sold me a few great bargains.
I still have most of them too.
I've also had the other side of his somewhat strict moderating, and felt at the time it was uncalled for.
But thats what makes a forum great, you get both sides of opinions and usually (if you're grown up about it) you learn from the experience and get on with life. Sure I'm as curious as to why the big man has suddenly quit his post, anto does not strike me as the type of man to throw in the towel easily.
I'll miss Anto stepping in and ranting occasionally but I'm sure he has his reasons.
Good luck to you fella, see you at the next meeting.
Darah

More
18 Dec 2007 19:26 #16 by steven (steven)
And here was me thinking Anto was a hard nut and took no crap.

Anto thanks for everything over the last while even the lifetime ban i got was a bit of a clip around the ear for me but sure we all put our foot in it sometimes. All the bitching and back biting has put me off posting over the past 6 months or so, its sometimes hard to come across the right way when sitting behind a computer screen and people take you up the wrong way. Classic example::: Dave's recent comments in a thread about the rep in Cork, i could understand where Dave was coming from, but some others failed to do so and there ended up been handbags, its that simple.

Anyways Anto be good and you are a loss to this forum as you brought some cheer and craic to it. And you resigning will no way benefit this Forum its a major loss which is irreplaceable. Sit down with a large bottle over the crimbo Anto have a good think about it and don't let someone who disagrees with you or has a pop at you over something ruin your hobby.

Treat every day like your last, some day it will be??

More
18 Dec 2007 20:32 #17 by Damian_Ireland (Damian_Ireland)
@anto.
Just a quick point, if you are resigning i hope you will stay around and here are my reasons for saying why
If you were not here I would be probably
1. Still be cleaning my B&Q playsand 3 months on
2. Have lost all my discus
3. setup a shite quick marine tank

So on a personal note I hope you stays arounds because they are plenty more people like me how will make silly mistakes and listen to the wrong people.

Damian

More
18 Dec 2007 21:01 #18 by Sean (Fr. Jack)

Sorry to here Anto is leaving, with a young family like my self, its hard to justify the time investment, and one is not getting paid for it, I have read the post for about a year now, I would say JohnH from the west coast would be the ideal candidate, his post are non argumentative and helpful, and he is well liked, I think him leaving the SAS was not his fault, and perhaps the fault of third parties, he desives to be treated with more respect, he is IMO the man for the job.

Anthony was the best John Paul the II, in the 1980s, and early 90`s he would do any admin you ask in the last few years, (in the last couple of months) he was as useful and the Pontiff was before he crooked, I am not suggesting a Younger German Pope is the answer but a English Pope that lives in the west coast is going to be better job than JP II was in the last few years of his reign, as JP just come outs a waves with no mass over seas or not even U tube up links.

White smoke for JohnH the first in F.Jack´s conclave

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!
Attachments:

• pierce (pierce)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Dec 2007 21:51 #19 by pierce (pierce)
Replied by pierce (pierce) on topic Re:Resigning as Administrator. All the best.
i also hope anto stays around a very helpful guy and didn,t moan when i was asking all my stupid questions.Plus when i bought his tank off him he came down the next day to make sure i was up and running ok.All around nice bloke thanks again anto

More
18 Dec 2007 22:46 #20 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
I'm sure the time commitment is a major factor in the decision, family comes first no matter what. I'm also curious why this decision has been made but its not my place to pry.Anto doesn't owe me an explanation.

I'd just like to add that Anto should look at the amount of views on this thread and the replies and see that this forum and socety would be better with him on it.

Forget the bitchin, politics & crap. Lets keep it simple and get back to the fishy business.

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Dec 2007 22:49 #21 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re:Resigning as Administrator. All the best.
Fr. Jack no googling wrote:

I have read the post for about a year now, I would say JohnH from the west coast would be the ideal candidate, his post are non argumentative and helpful, and he is well liked, I think him leaving the SAS was not his fault, and perhaps the fault of third parties, he desives to be treated with more respect, he is IMO the man for the job.

White smoke for JohnH the first in F.Jack´s conclave

Sean,
might I suggest that you have no idea what you are talking about in regard to JohnH leaving the SAS. I am not going to get into it here but did it occur to you that John has not posted here in month and the SAS has no say in what is posted on the forum except for our own posts?

More
19 Dec 2007 10:41 #22 by Sean (Fr. Jack)

JohnH still view the forum for fish info, but does not post any more, due to the politics.

Holgar even if you had the time or if I had the time, I dont think the members would, want Sean or Holgar in charge , both of us are bad to the bone, John is mature and well liked, based on the fact he STILL views the forum I dont think it would be a problem, if he was asked provided everyone cleans up their act and focus on fish keeping.

Putting the W2 (the Welsh witch)in charge was disastrous to the forum, we need some one mature perhaps semi retired with more time, in charge.

Attachments:

More
19 Dec 2007 11:04 #23 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)
I understand why Anthony has resigned and I feel the same myself from time to time.
He will still be here helping other fish keepers with their problems, etc and he is still a moderator on this forum.

We still have a very good team in charge. There is Daragh Owens, Valerie, Chris Murphy and myself.
I have asked one of the current admins to step into Anthony's previous role.

Regards
Darragh

• Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Dec 2007 11:22 #24 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Fr. Jack no googling wrote:

Holgar even if you had the time or if I had the time, I dont think the members would, want Sean or Holgar in charge , both of us are bad to the bone.

Putting the W2 (the Welsh witch)in charge was disastrous to the forum, we need some one mature perhaps semi retired with more time, in charge.[/quote]

The Welsh witch was a bad idea. I do agree completely.

However, I never suggested that I wanted to be in charge. I would be throtteling people within the first day of being in charge. God knows, getting the SAS back on the road is enough for me. I think, I'll let some steam off. The CSPCA is across the road from my office. Their heads need to be knocked together that there are not only cute and cuddly animals being mistreated but also the finned variety. Bet they are already looking forward to another one of my rants :lol:

More
19 Dec 2007 12:41 #25 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
darragh wrote:

We still have a very good team in charge. There is Daragh Owens, Valerie, Chris Murphy and myself.
I have asked one of the current admins to step into Anthony's previous role.

Regards
Darragh

They are all good options but I suggest who has more free time be given the white smoke, as work and families does not go with the territory.

Attachments:

More
19 Dec 2007 15:03 #26 by lampeye (lampeye)
didnt see u there the first time jack

lampeye
Attachments:

More
19 Dec 2007 15:48 #27 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
Very good Lampeye, dont know how you paste my face into the funeral picture, that was a gut busting laugh you gave me.:)

More
19 Dec 2007 17:12 #28 by lampeye (lampeye)
heres a good video of you and anthony, chris and acara!!
www.elfyourself.com/?id=1568481970
(use peakers)

lampeye

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Dec 2007 17:51 #29 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re:Resigning as Administrator. All the best.
Hi all.
Thanks for all the nice messages. I am staying on as a member
but I will not Administrate/Moderate or run the forum in any
shape or form. Hopefully I will start posting as usaul but for
now I won`t be on as much as I once was.

Ps Darragh. Can you remove my mod status please.

• paulm (paulm)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Dec 2007 21:26 #30 by paulm (paulm)
Replied by paulm (paulm) on topic Re:Resigning as Administrator. All the best.
All GOOD THINGS MUST COME TO AN END. Anto Iv seen the work you've put into the forum, the hard work , first hand . THANKYOU

I would like to wish the very best of luck in whatever you do in the future.

Regards to you your beautiful wife and your two wonderful children.

Paulm :( :( :(

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds