Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Self Distruct?

• russell (russell)
  • russell (russell)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Feb 2008 19:15 #1 by russell (russell)
Self Distruct? was created by russell (russell)
Didn't know what else to call it. But it seems the forums are heading for this crisis,
Over many weeks the topics remain the same . I have seen only a few new post's. Has it got to the stage of being complacent?? It seems the same people are posting, Where is the new blood with new ideas & oppinions? Then again those that post are getting ctitsised and being put of posting again. I don't think I have ever been on a website forum that has as much bickering and back stabbing as this. those that are trying to get the ITFs established seem to be fighting a loosing battle.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Feb 2008 19:35 #2 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Replied by ChrisM (ChrisM) on topic Re:Self Distruct?
Fair points Russel.When the website is handed over to the federation AFAIK money will be invested to include picture databases and make teh forum more visually rich.As we all know its great to read pictures.

I just dont think there are enough specific keepers i.e. Discus keepers: I only know of you!
African Cichlid Keepers:About 5 other members
SA&CA Cichlids:2
Livebearers:1
Planted:3

You see what Im trying to say.In order for the forum to thrive we need people passionate about specific sections.Therefore sections of the forum will be bustling with ideas etc and this will spill over into other sections.Now it is one or two people driving each section.

I reckon it comes down to too few specific species keepers?

I think those that are put off posting are blaming the apparent bickering (maybe I am missing this)but really I think it comes down to lack of interesting material.

• russell (russell)
  • russell (russell)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Feb 2008 19:46 #3 by russell (russell)
Replied by russell (russell) on topic Re:Self Distruct?
Hi Chris.

Lets take the Gallery. Where are all the pictures, why arn't people posting. lets see some more from the Majority of members. I know posting pics seem complcated first time. but let's see the critisc pics.those that are forever knocking the well intended posters. a Photo speaks a thousand words.

• S180de (S180de)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Feb 2008 20:04 #4 by S180de (S180de)
Replied by S180de (S180de) on topic Re:Self Distruct?

Where is the new blood with new ideas & oppinions? Then again those that post are getting ctitsised and being put of posting again.

well, I'm not involved in what happened behind the scenes. but I had the impression from what went on publicly here that one or two of the most knowledgeable and active users were kind off mobbed out of the forum. since then this place became largely uninteresting to me. I only check the sales and sponsors section every now and then. the rest are just the typical basic threads I can get on any fish forum.

More
04 Feb 2008 20:53 - 04 Feb 2008 21:05 #5 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
I'm not so sure that bickering is the cause of the lack of posts. Like Chris, I'm aware of issues, but don't agree that the forum has descended into chaos.

I think much of it comes down to the time of year. There's generally a natural lull after Christmas. I'm sure it will pick up again soon. I for one have to get the finger out and get some current photos posted.

Regards,

Ken.
Last edit: 04 Feb 2008 21:05 by KenS (Ken Simpson).

• hh5 (hh5)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Feb 2008 22:05 #6 by hh5 (hh5)
Replied by hh5 (hh5) on topic Re:Self Distruct?
I really don't want to get involved in internal politics of the forum anymore. But from what has been happening here over the last couple of days (people flying off the handle again and the lack of any good quality new thread, pseudo scientific speculation about water quality, etc., people reading the first line of a thread, making their own conclusions from their on without switching the thing between the ears on and posting rather nasty supplies, religious slurs in the filter section...)is anybody surprised that the SAS decided not to join the proposed Federation? I'm not and I am glad the decision was made.
You can't even behave in a forum on the one hand and nobody has the guts to stand up to a sponsor. What are ye afraid of? The sponsors need you more than you need them.
How in the world you anybody expect that you can get a Federation together and keep it going without people ending up in hospital after every meeting?
More pictures will not attract more posters if the pictures don't have substance in form of informative threads going with them. People get real, what you need is decent post not more pictures. If I want pictures I'll go out and buy a coffee table book. At least I can have a look at it on the bog (no smart comments please, Sean).

Just my two cents

Holger

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Feb 2008 22:06 #7 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:Self Distruct?
Dear all,

The forum might have indeed become somewhat politicised and, I sincerely hope this is going to stop soon!

It has been going this way for a while, everyone who has been on the forum for a while (since before the transition at least) knows this. It is up to you, people, who so far have enjoyed reading the actual fish-keeping contents of the forum, to stop moaning about the lack of contents, scramble your brains, put your heads together, ignore the political stuff when it's thrown at you and start posting interesting stuff!

We are all counting on everyone to make this place a happy one! :-)

If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kindest regards,
Valerie

• pierce (pierce)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Feb 2008 00:35 #8 by pierce (pierce)
Replied by pierce (pierce) on topic Re:Self Distruct?
Hi all I think the diffrent opinions are good for the forum i know the argueing can go over the top some times but most people on this site i found very passonite about the hoppy.As regards new blood posting i am new blood and am always on the site and adding bits here and there.When the more advanced fish keepers only look in the for sale section or the sponsers section it means they are not answering myself and orther new peoples quistions or queries so why would would the new blood bother posting for example i posted a few photographs of my newly set up tank wich i admit looking back were pretty awful looking.But i did not get even one reply to say thats a niice looking fish or a comment saying do you not think that the liverock would be better build up the sides.Or i think your water might be a bit cloudy etc.Then when an old hand puts up a picture of a geourgeous tank everyone is posting replys.I am just saying it dosn,t encourge you to post or put up pictures.I have also read alot of times attack the post not the poster i don,t think attack is a good word in this intance if everybody wrote at the top or bottom of the post THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION it would maybe ease things.
As regards putting more of a visual content on the site i think this would be great.By the way wireless modem and a laptop and you can read on the bog just be careful:laugh:
anyway thats my 2 cents and is only my opinion
ps:Thanks for the help i get through out this site and am sorry about spelling

More
05 Feb 2008 01:15 #9 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
Well said Pierce and I regret to say, I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU JUST SAID!

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Feb 2008 10:45 #10 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re:Self Distruct?
Hey Pierce I totally missed your thread if thats the case, as my post count would suggest I'm a serial poster who replies to just about anything.
I also take encouraging my fellow newbies very seriously.

This leads me to another problem.
I find the forum very clunky and slow to navigate, half the time I just give up.
The forum software, while it looks nice, is IMO rubbish.
I have given feedback(s) in the original threads about the new software and they were ignored.
I even gave an example of a brilliant forum which is easy to use and very simple in design.
Anyone who would like to go and see www.talklfc.com will see this.
I don't know how much something like this costs but I would be willing to donate if its a money matter.

We really need to be encouraging the new members and each other.
I am passionate about my hobby as are the majority of others here.
I love my fishkeeping, only the other day I caught my Aulocara Rubescens spawning, Jaysus it was incredible thing to witness, nature at work. I was in awe. The whole process I saw, eggs dropped, swallowed, sperm released, swallowed. Happy female and male afterwards, despite the attentions of several hungry catfish, they just darted off to another hidey hole to do it again.

This is a great hobby, and this is potentially a great website.
Please everyone do your bit to make it all it can be.

More
05 Feb 2008 13:57 #11 by Cardnim (Andrew Hanley)
Im a very new member here, and I have to say a couple of things:

- im already sick of people talking about \"the blah blah politics of this that or the other\", apologies from one member to another being aired publicly on the forum, and all this crud about something \"big and sinister\" that happened before I joined which is still have reprecussions today. ....oh and everyone posting to say how its all forgotten about.... but still everyone posts to say so.?! :)

- i have enjoyed the forum since Ive joined, and any posts ive started have been answered (well) and Ive enjoyed answering to other peoples posts

- 100% totally agree with didihno in that the forum itself is clunky and hard to use. One great example is in the flipping \"NEW\" labels that appear on posts which are supposedly NEW to me. This doesnt work, as if I hit the BACK button on my browser after reading a new post, it is still flagged as NEW.
I didnt see Pierce's tank pics at all (sorry pierce!)

If you want a great forum layout that promotes answering posts, easily identifiable new posts and quickly browse galleries, articles, blogs etc then check out:
www.fishkeeping.co.uk which I know some members on here also use.

P.S. I definatley am not trying to upset anyone, nor criticise persons. The admins/moderators seems to be doing a great job and credit should go to them for the many goo dpoints of this forum... but there is room for improvement, and as it is free it just takes an injection of time and effort; so whos up for making that?

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Feb 2008 17:17 #12 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re:Self Distruct?
Hi Pierce.
If I say your tank is crap I will get banned again. I will have a look and give you an honest view.

Didhino.
I hope those Catfish are getting well fed. :laugh:

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Feb 2008 00:39 #13 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re:Self Distruct?
Hi Anto.
I sold your cats, they were eating my jewel background.

Only kidding they are doing great, that royal is a stone cold stunner.
What is the tiger striped Syno I'm also minding?
I love it.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Feb 2008 12:37 #14 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re:Self Distruct?
The Syno is a Shoutedine.
He won best Catfish at last years show.
I might enter the Royal this year. I have fewk all fish to enter.
I know were you live. Those Cats get sold/stolen/eaten and a HITMAN will be sent.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I have two Ocelifer that I got as fry. They are show stoppers. I was sold them as
Decoras.
Hopefully will be keeping my Trophy this year.

I will pick you a Shoutedeni up for minding the cats for me.

Time to create page: 0.053 seconds