Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

***What would you like to see on the forum?***

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • ChrisM (ChrisM)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Feb 2008 15:41 #1 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
***What would you like to see on the forum?*** was created by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Suggestions for what you would like to see happen

i.e.
-Easier user interface
-More coloured backgrounds to differentiate between borders
-Less clutter
-Pictures database
-Less sections/More sections?
-etc etc etc

Please post your thoughts on how the forum can be improved here:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
05 Feb 2008 15:48 #2 by arabesque (Mick Veale)
i wish the search feature didnt come back with

[code:1]Warning: implode() [function.implode]: Bad arguments. in /usr/home/darragh/public_html/irishfishkeepers.com/cms/components/com_kunena/sources/fb_search.class.php on line 177

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/home/darragh/public_html/irishfishkeepers.com/cms/components/com_kunena/sources/fb_search.class.php on line 240 [/code:1]

So i'd say that should be priority numero uno

More
05 Feb 2008 15:58 #3 by Cardnim (Andrew Hanley)
totally agree with the search thing. Its a big set back.

We need a forum that can understand when a post has been viewed; also, I want to be able to flag an entire thread as viewed even without reading it. i.e. a post about an LKFSTGIOA club meeting or whatever is pointless to me, so if there are new posts there I just want to flag them all as read so they dont show up as green etc for me

BIG ISSUE: on the home page, show the last 10 posts or even their titles. This is SUCH a benefit to the fishkeeping.co.uk site and makes it really easy to keep track of peoples posts, conversations and requests for urgent help.

More
05 Feb 2008 16:03 #4 by Avonmore (Pat Cullen)

More
05 Feb 2008 16:20 #5 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
I would agree with the search engine needs some work it would be very handy.

Also the clock is out by an hour it can be annoying and confusing.

More colour would be great.

I also find that post i have read are still marked unread it does mean that you read some post mulit times then get fed up and miss others.

Would it be possiable with the \"latest post\" to be set at a minium number to be shown at times i find others posts are not listed

Beginners Haven could do with some more moderators there, Darragh is doing a wonderfuljob (AS all admin are Past and present)but he is only human, when you click and keep getting invalid you stop and forget to return to the post or would it be possiable delay it becoming public till it is approved and can be read?

Mickey

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
05 Feb 2008 16:47 #6 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
I think we also need to reduce the number of sections. There are too many and some have little or no posts. For example, the equipment area could be reduced to one or two sections given the number of overall posts.

Regards,

Ken.

More
05 Feb 2008 16:55 #7 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Mickey,you cn easily view latest post in beginners haven before a mod has okay'd it by clicking on the reply to post,then scroll down and there it is.

Definately the search engine would be a huge benefit.

The home page could do with colouring up a bit,make it more visually appealing.Was a great idea putting the winner of the (late?) photography comp on the home page.

It seems the articles competition has resulted in some great articles,and I look forward to reading them,but dont let it stop there,keep them coming in.I can't help but feel that some users with a wealth of knowledge and experience are moaning a bit about the lack of decent posts worthy of their reading,well why not put some of your knowledge and experience into the form of articles?

Chris(and others) put a lot of time and effort into trying to get a breeders blog organised,but it fizzled due to a lack of input.Can we try and give this a bit of a kickstart again?

There is a gallery there for all to submit their tank and fish photos too,but so far,I think only 1 person has.Could the home page be arranged a bit easier to navigate?

Maybe we could look at the amount of sections.Do discus have to be seperate from Sth/Central American cichlids?I dont want to start another debate here,but whats so special about them they need their own section?Do we need all the different equipment sections,or could they be put under 1 heading?

Dave

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
05 Feb 2008 17:06 #8 by dclifford (Derek Clifford)
Mention already, but I would like to see a list of the recent posts. I know there is a list of the last five. but I would like more. Something like the main page on boards.ie would be nice.
Again mentioned already, Fixing the search funtion would be good. It would help to eliminate the same questions from re-appearing (not always a bad thing though).

• pierce (pierce)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Feb 2008 18:08 #9 by pierce (pierce)
Replied by pierce (pierce) on topic Re:***What would you like to see on the forum?***
I think everything as been mentioned that i would like to see happen but mostly the posts showing green when you have read then already or d,ont show green when you hav,nt read them b ut in saying that i think the forum is great

More
05 Feb 2008 18:50 #10 by nonie (leonie troy)
I think the forum is great and the admin and moderators are doing a great job but I do think it could do with a new user interface especially for the beginner as it takes a bit of time to navigate through it so if there was a home page with pics linking to the various pages e,g forum, artiicles etc etc it would make it alot easier, the same with each of the individual pages then the user can see every topic/title in the forum page without scrolling down! i also think there should be alot more pics on here as most of us have tanks and alot of you have FANTASTIC tanks this should be exploited!!!

More
06 Feb 2008 00:23 - 06 Feb 2008 00:25 #11 by suckers (matt lait)
a return to tpo of page(a simple comand to write) could be added at the bottom od the page to contineu reading other/different posts in each section!

oops sorry for the spelling ( even a spell checker :P in my case)
Last edit: 06 Feb 2008 00:25 by suckers (matt lait). Reason: spelling correction :-))

More
06 Feb 2008 01:11 #12 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
More color but not too much

I have only been on here for a few months,
My normal way of checking the site is go to forum/new posts/ change to week view
Could there be a button on the main page to show as many posts as would fit on a page
And following pages after that, depending on how many posts there is a week.

And more smilies

Rgds
LB

More
06 Feb 2008 01:16 #13 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
suckers wrote:

a return to tpo of page(a simple comand to write) could be added at the bottom od the page to contineu reading other/different posts in each section!

oops sorry for the spelling ( even a spell checker :P in my case)

Just use the (Home) key ;)

More
06 Feb 2008 17:02 #14 by JohnH (John)
I would very much like to see an end brought to people holding personal conversations on Open Forum...that's exactly what PMs are for...
John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Feb 2008 17:41 #15 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:***What would you like to see on the forum?***
There are two sides to this question. Though already a few of those have already been brought up in previous posts, this is what I would like to see on the forum ....

* website functionalities :
- the search function to be enabled,
- more recent posts on the home page as 5 are not enough,
- the full thread to come up as one page rather than 10 a page
- the possibility of having a text version of the website for those with a slow connection
- an easier access to manage subscriptions (it's kind of complicated as it is at the moment)
- a way of making the website load a little faster as it can be quite slow sometimes

* website content :
- more fish related content such as articles,
- more pictures on the home page (I promise I'll send pictures of my tanks very shortly !)
- various competitions - but something tells me they are their way back !!! :)
- maybe less categories as there are too many of them IMO
- and finally more positivity and less politics and back biting ! ;)

Regards,
Valerie

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Feb 2008 01:05 #16 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re:***What would you like to see on the forum?***
It would be no fun without the politics.
Who wants to hear only one side of a story. Who wants a forum were everybody agrees with each other
all the time. You will learn nothing by this.
The bickering has to stop but so does the tread locking.

The forum is leaderless.
Maybe the federation will appoint someone who can grab it by the scruff of the neck and have the
balls to chastise members who are blatantly acting the mick.
Arguements are fine once they get a valid point accross but going on and on and on and replaying
the same over and over again is just rediculous.

More
07 Feb 2008 14:36 #17 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
it would be help full if under the Avator there was a place for home county or town.

When some one needs help it would make it quicker for some one local to call or give meds or just offer advice. This would be a prime example were this would be use full.

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds