Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Maxi-zoo

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • stretnik (stretnik)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Nov 2010 19:27 - 25 Nov 2010 00:38 #1 by stretnik (stretnik)
Maxi-zoo was created by stretnik (stretnik)
Visited Maxi-zoo, nice layout, really clean Tanks but it's new so that's obvious, better than ordinary selection of Fish, great supply of Eheim Filters, Eheim sundries and accessories actually Eheim and JBL Heaven.
Well stocked in.. well, everything, 2 downsides, 1, Plants are expensive but from Dennerle so...

Nice start in progress in a very big Planted Tank.

The Guy in charge is a French Lad, nice guy and willing to help if Customer are polite and are patient as Language barriers are a pain without patience.

I was in the process of purchasing a ceramic/Plastic C02 Diffuser, 25 euro is STEEP as you can get a Glass one off Ebay for 5 or 6 Euro plus Delivery.

and 2, I went to the Till to pay but there was no one there and I'm kinda glad as I put back on a Shelf and left.

Worth a look.

Kev.
Last edit: 25 Nov 2010 00:38 by stretnik (stretnik).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
24 Nov 2010 19:32 #2 by joey (joe watson)
Replied by joey (joe watson) on topic Re:Maxi-zoo
there's one the other end of naas to where i work. bloody rip off and yeah, poorly staffed

More
24 Nov 2010 19:37 #3 by Gerry The Chip (Gerard)
Replied by Gerry The Chip (Gerard) on topic Re:Maxi-zoo
Yeah i was in there on thursday myself they have the tanks looking great and the big planted tank is set up very well, and the fish look very healthy, Thought the externals were a good price also.

Gerry

More
24 Nov 2010 20:36 #4 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)

More
24 Nov 2010 21:03 #5 by Gerry The Chip (Gerard)
Replied by Gerry The Chip (Gerard) on topic Re:Maxi-zoo
Its in Finglas beside the burger king in clearwater, its worth checkin out:-)

More
24 Nov 2010 22:13 #6 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)

More
24 Nov 2010 22:18 #7 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
I must pop out and have a look now thats its open.

Plants from Dennerle, i can imagine the price.

More
24 Nov 2010 22:28 #8 by dar (darren curry)
Replied by dar (darren curry) on topic Re:Maxi-zoo
the one in tallaght is shite a lot of the products are in foreign lingo, i wouldn't shop in it, a really crap supply of products and they are non sponsors so to hell with them

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Nov 2010 00:35 - 25 Nov 2010 00:36 #9 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re:Maxi-zoo
Foreign Lingo is German and they could be potential Sponsors and they employ Irish People and pay Taxes And help to keep this Economy going while a bunch of IRISH DUMBASSED POLITICIANS are succeeding in making Irish People and Ireland look stupid around the Globe by ruining the Economy .

Kev.
Last edit: 25 Nov 2010 00:36 by stretnik (stretnik).

More
25 Nov 2010 01:09 #10 by joey (joe watson)
well put stretnik, but i'm with dar on this. maybe a representative of this forum could approach some top dogs from there to try to set them up as sponsors? would help to pull in more new forum users for sure

More
25 Nov 2010 02:55 #11 by dar (darren curry)
no good selling stuff in german wen a huge portion of the population cant even string a few lines of their native tongue, fair play emmploying irish folk lets hope they can translate the german, i was there yesterday just to pass time and left empty handed as why the hell should i need a translator to purchase goods in my country. i'l stick to sponsors

More
25 Nov 2010 03:57 #12 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Replied by Viperbot (Jason Hughes) on topic Re:Maxi-zoo
First Im hearing of this place and Im only around the corner. I normally dont have much expectations about chains like this but will give it the once over later...if its even half decent it could come in handy in a tight spot.

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Nov 2010 09:57 - 25 Nov 2010 10:04 #13 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re:Maxi-zoo
Given that these products are sold worldwide and they are very successfull irrespective of the Language they promote them in, German in every country, why should they pay extra to translate? they obviously don't worry too much about the few that find it a problem or that are either too lazy to bother to research what they want in advance or are too stupid to work it out from themselves ( I'm not referring to all the Text, just the volumes etc ) packaging after all, the liters that a filter process is written on the side and the translated pages are available on the website.

If they were giving the stuff away for nothing, I doubt we'd be discussing it.

The only problem, in my opinion, and that's all it is, my opinion, is where you need info for medications or Food etc but again, Make it easy for yourself and Google the website first. I know that people browsing in store won't have the luxury of accessing the web so in those cases buy what you know will do the Job but I really don't think that Language on the Packaging should win the Store the description of " Shite "

It's funny but until now, afaik, no one has complained re the Language on the Packaging.

Kev.
Last edit: 25 Nov 2010 10:04 by stretnik (stretnik).

More
25 Nov 2010 10:01 #14 by dar (darren curry)
ooh you said shite

More
25 Nov 2010 12:15 #15 by sparky (sparky)
Replied by sparky (sparky) on topic Re:Maxi-zoo
The reason they import a lot of the foods from Germany is because there are stricter regulations on the production of animal food (its almost as strict as the regulations for human food), and what can go into it, unlike over here where with dog/cat food in particular, there is no regulations as to what is put into it, and what they claim on the packaging. I know in the maxi-zoo in Tallaght, the guys are all very professional, very well trained, and know about the products they are selling.

-Brian

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

More
11 Dec 2010 06:48 #16 by bull (keith madden)
Replied by bull (keith madden) on topic Re:Maxi-zoo
Was in this shop the other day and I was pleasantly surprised as I wasn't expecting much but then I couldn't fault it. All the tanks were immaculate and looked really well especially the big planted tank, good selection of water treatments, food and medicines. Good priced filters and air pumps. I really liked the way they had the eheim filters and air pumps running in a tank so you could see and hear them running and with all the different spray bars and all.

Only problem was that their stock was a bit on the short side but the guy working there who was very helpful said they were getting two deliveries within the next week to ten days.

This shop is only around the corner from me so it should come in very handy.

More
12 Dec 2010 01:18 #17 by andrewo (andrew)
Replied by andrewo (andrew) on topic Re:Maxi-zoo
been hearing few good things bout this place. time for a visit i suppose...when the livestocks come in :)

More
12 Dec 2010 11:12 #18 by dar (darren curry)
no andrew there is no such place, it was a belated wind up for april fools day. support your local sponsor

(darren bought a bumble bee catfish in a non sponsor!!. yes but your man from seahorse was there so i assumed it would be ok, ratbag!!, John that fellow has been going off topic a lot lately and disrespected peoples religious views quite recently oh and he sends pm's bitching about people, two can play that game snitchy)

More
12 Dec 2010 11:54 #19 by joey (joe watson)
ok so i went back to naas maxizoo yesterday before work, was interested to see if its like ye describe the dublin one. no

they had a 300l with 6 yes 6! tinfoil barbs, 4 angels a few congo tetra and a parrot mutant fish. disgusted

and no eheim products at all, a few elite aip pumps, some fluval externals (good price on them) and alot of other fluval and elite dry goods like vacuums etc. i forget the name of the main food in there it was something like lidl brand stuff, and it was mainly pond sticks and flakes, they had some of the (i think) jbl food but only flakes and veggie flakes. frozen ocean nutrition food was 5 euro a pack, i got gamma stuff at 4 euro each plus BOGOF. so i can say i am still disappointed

how are you guys finding all the eheim stuff and why does naas have nothing? crikey i have a bigger selection of goods at home!

i think i will be sticking to the sponsors for sure. even zoo plus aint so good on price and i dont think much about the food quality of tetra, sera and jbl TBH

More
13 Dec 2010 15:15 #20 by andrewo (andrew)
Replied by andrewo (andrew) on topic Re:Maxi-zoo
@dar; i wld just 'check' it out but as to buying stuff i will definitely get them from our kind sponsors. you are spot on guys; we shld support our sponsors especially in these dire times BUT of course within reason.(for me the reason is same price or few bucks more maybe):laugh:

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds