Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Small tanks....

More
13 Dec 2010 12:03 #1 by sparky (sparky)
www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3..._id=2010-12-13-10-34

Aldi selling some small 54L tanks this week from Thursday. Might be of use as a small QT tank to some... €70... thought it may be of interest to some!

-Brian

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 Dec 2010 12:25 #2 by duzzy1 (Martin Kennedy)
usually lidl come along within a week or two with a similar offer and if i'm not mistaken its sometimes for a bigger tank ( 90 litre )

More
13 Dec 2010 13:12 - 13 Dec 2010 13:30 #3 by dar (darren curry)
on the aquatic village website they are only a 5er dearer and you best believe if you had a problem av would sort it sooner than aldi

think of it your filter heater fails just after cycling your tank, how long will you be waiting for one from lidl or aldi

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic
Last edit: 13 Dec 2010 13:30 by dar (darren curry).

More
13 Dec 2010 13:29 #4 by roealdo (j)
Replied by roealdo (j) on topic Re:Small tanks....
not having a crack at aquatic village but Lidl and aldi are very good with dealing with returns and refunds.

Very hard to beat a 3 year warranty

More
13 Dec 2010 13:37 - 13 Dec 2010 13:38 #5 by dar (darren curry)
so four weeks later, aldi will have a heater or filter waiting for you if theirs fail? eh no, you'l be running to the nearest pet store for one and thats an extra few bob that aldi wont give a dam about, they'l replace theirs in a week or more while your fish get hurled down the bog

support your local sponsor lads they support us with fantastic deals*

*sponsors can make my behind licking cheque out to darren curry, leave them blank

Last edit: 13 Dec 2010 13:38 by dar (darren curry).

More
13 Dec 2010 13:44 #6 by roealdo (j)
Replied by roealdo (j) on topic Re:Small tanks....
It was a general statement

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Dec 2010 13:57 #7 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re:Small tanks....
@roealdo.

PM sent.

Kev.

More
13 Dec 2010 14:17 #8 by dar (darren curry)
@kev
pm sent

More
13 Dec 2010 15:02 #9 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
I bought one of these last year, the light unit went on it.

I only realised today that it was under warranty. I rang ALDI, they forwarded me on to "Pennine Products UK" the manufacturer. The kindly agreed to send me out a new light unit & hood.

The girl said that last years light unit gave them a lot of troubles so this year's one has a new one. I should get a replacement by the end of the week by courier.

No hassle, no worming out of the warranty. Excellent customer service

If anyone needs to contact the manufacturer its UK number: 01204-368050. Or ring aldi on 1800 509 324 and they will forward you on.

RESULT!

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

More
13 Dec 2010 16:17 #10 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
@ OB, excellent bit of intel there, good stuff.

This offer from Aldi is pretty good and the up coming 90ltr tanks go for about a 100 quid if I recall. For the money, these setups make exellent little starter kits or hospital/quarantine tanks. I used one of the 54ltr systems for 6 months hassel free and passed it on to my brother who breeds apistos in it and still no snags so in my opinion are well worth the investment.

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Dec 2010 18:14 #11 by stretnik (stretnik)
Great info, I agree. I'm delighted to see that the main purpose of the Forum, to Inform, support and share good and useful information is still intact.

Thanks.

Kev.

• wolfsburg (wolfsburg)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Dec 2010 19:10 #12 by wolfsburg (wolfsburg)
Replied by wolfsburg (wolfsburg) on topic Re:Small tanks....
In fairness to the 2 Germans it is possible to get parts for the products they sell. My Dad is in the machinery trade and he has had problems in the past with getting parts from some of the well known manufacturers. A few weeks ago a customer brought him in a broken VERY "budget" lawn mower that was bought from Lidl or Aldi a couple of years ago. The mower was out of warranty but after a bit of research and a phone call to Germany the parts were purchased and posted to him.
No problems.

If it gets more people (especially children) into the hobby that otherwise wouldn't go to a pet shop to buy a tank well that cannot be too much of a bad thing! The buying from sponsers is sure to follow when they get more into the hobby (and to furnish and stock the aldi tank!).

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Dec 2010 19:20 - 13 Dec 2010 19:20 #13 by stretnik (stretnik)
Nice one Ror, very very well put. We had the same type of problem resolved in Work, a broken and very tiny piece of a Motor, one call had it winging it's way here and fitted perfectly.

Kev.
Last edit: 13 Dec 2010 19:20 by stretnik (stretnik).

More
14 Dec 2010 19:47 #14 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Lidl will hopefully have one the coming weeks,there's is a 90 litre I think. Also they were previously made by Eheim as far as i know but went under the name Vitakraft / Vitatech I think.
Well worth the price,and all with heaters and filter also.The filters are solid internal filters that contain open cell foam cartidges,usually good for 12 months or more before you start needing to replace the foam and the Eheim pick up filter cartridges works perfectly for them.Super deal in my opinion whenever they have had them in. Im sure the Aldi ones are the same in terms of quality etc..
While all for sponsors etc, there is a Aldi and Lidl nearer to most people than a quality fish shop.(Esp when you are stuck down in West Cork like me!).

Great xmas present for people I would say,and if you are getting one for the kids,then start seeding your filters asap!!

Gavin

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds