Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Japanese Tsunami Reveals New Fish.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • stretnik (stretnik)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 Apr 2011 19:58 - 28 Apr 2011 20:03 #1 by stretnik (stretnik)
Japanese Tsunami Reveals New Fish. was created by stretnik (stretnik)
I got this in an E-mail, interesting.

Tsunami Sea Creatures Washed Ashore

As everyone knows, the tsunami in Southeast Asia was devastating both in the loss of life and economically to the region.
However now that the clean up is underway in the region, deep sea creatures that live too deep to be studied are being found scattered throughout the wreckage. These creatures were washed up on shore when the waves hit.

Kev.
Last edit: 28 Apr 2011 20:03 by stretnik (stretnik).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2011 20:08 #2 by andrewo (andrew)
Interesting tho one or two looks very familiar; prob dif species; really pity the poor fish still alive and forehead seems scalded (2nd last pic i think) or is fish already dead?

More
28 Apr 2011 21:01 #3 by denverbre (Denver Breslin)
some incredible looking fish!
The second last picture looks very like this guy blastr.com/2011/04/17-images-youll-swear-are.php#8
"Blobfish In order to float without swimming, this fish's exterior is a gelatinous mass"

More
28 Apr 2011 21:34 #4 by Sofiztikated (Kenny Gibson)
Number 2 looks like some badass!

Number 7 looks like one of the guns from Halo!

Man, there are some odd creatures on this planet.

More
28 Apr 2011 21:53 #5 by dar (darren curry)
that second last one has to be a spoof, i mean come on look at it the poor... (yep i am stuck for words on wat to call it). plus i seen that face before. it looks like podge and rodge's long lost sister whom we shall call blodge. although it slightly reminds me of pat kenny for some oddly reason maybe it's his long lost sister

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic

More
28 Apr 2011 22:47 #6 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
The second from last looks like some mad photo-shopped morph image.

Number looks cute.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
29 Apr 2011 00:57 #7 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt)
Any more info on these,
Most of them look like very deep water species given their weird body shapes, colouration and mouth parts.
I wonder just how deep the sea level was in that particular part of the world when the sub sea earthquake struck.....
Great find and pics
Regards
C

More
29 Apr 2011 09:00 #8 by upthedeise (jp molloy)
HI there

Not sure about the email, all these fish as far as I can see (I dont recognise picture no. 11) are all deepwater fish that can be found off Ireland.

As for being washed up on a beach after a tsunami- I would say is very improbable in fact I would be 99.999999% sure that they didnt.

These are more than likely fish that have been caught in a trawl either for food or scientific research.

JP

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
29 Apr 2011 09:38 #9 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: Japanese Tsunami Reveals New Fish.
In the immortal words of PIL... I could be wrong I could be right

No Idea of the origins of the E-mail nor the Fish just thought it was interesting.

Kev.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
29 Apr 2011 09:49 #10 by stretnik (stretnik)
I don't know the accuracy re these fish being in deep Water off the coast of Ireland but Snopes can enlighten us on their true origins and they don't include Ireland.

www.snopes.com/photos/tsunami/creature.asp

Kev.

More
29 Apr 2011 11:02 #11 by upthedeise (jp molloy)
I may be wrong myself I just cant see how a tsunami would send these fish from below the continental shelf to land and if they did how the fish could be in such good condition by the time they were found and taken to a lab(it looks like a lab in the pictures).

I have been wrong before though :)

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
29 Apr 2011 13:11 #12 by stretnik (stretnik)
Nope, I think you are right, and judging by Snopes, research is what these pics are all about.

Kev

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds