Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Buying a quarantine tank.

More
30 Mar 2007 16:34 #1 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton)
I was in Wackers Pet Store today and they have pretty small tanks out by the furry and feathery animals!! But...I find Wackers to be quite expensive...since they are selling a Juwel Rio180 for 799 euro when you can buy it online for an average 450 euro. (380 euro in petshoponline this month only!!)

I'm guessing that they may be 10L or so, made by aquaplus. They have a plastic lid, built in lights and come with some sort of filter!

Are they ok to use as a quarantine tank? I dont want to have to spend too much more because I really just want to get fish at this stage but it seems to be a necessary thing to have!!

Anyone have suggestions for a minimum size, models of tanks that fit the bill, and anything below 100 euro possible?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
30 Mar 2007 16:50 #2 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re: Buying a quarantine tank.
Hi Scorphonic,
I bought my quarantine tank (ClearSeal 25l) + heater + filter for an approx. total of €85 in a pet shop in Galway. I did not bother with a light.
Such a tank can take a few small community fish at a time (unless v. territorial - IME : 2 Dwarf Gouramis and a Siamese Fighter is a no-no!).
The disadvantage, I find, in such a small tank, is that it requires a small daily water change in order to keep the quality at a good level.
The good thing is that it is still small enough to place on the kitchen counter without requiring too much re-organising or building a house extension !
Happy shopping :)
Valerie

More
30 Mar 2007 17:10 #3 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
Hey scorphonic

I was in woody's in Sandyford industrial estate last week an noticed that they now stock fish tanks, all be it small fish tanks. They had a brand that I hadnt seen before. It was a 60lt tank with, lights, heater, internal filter, hood (basically the works) for €80. Now, the price wasnt on it and I had to ask for it but it should be around that price. Not bad if you ask me.

You could also pick up a record 60 for €90 from our friends in the mountaind around dublin. Or buy and sell is another good option!!

Lead me not into temptation, For I can find it myself!

More
30 Mar 2007 17:26 #4 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton)
Thank you both for the suggestions.

I will probably have to go have a look in Sandyford so!! :)

What volume should I be looking at? 25/60/90??

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
30 Mar 2007 17:37 #5 by Valerie (Valerie)
I went through this dilemna myself ... it's a tough one.

I went for a 25l knowing it was small, but, after all, it's a quarantine tank which shall not be used all the time and will only have a few fish at the time.
It's quite easy to clean (I just throw it in the bath tub) once the fish make it to the main tank :wink: and also easy to store when not required.

Valerie

More
30 Mar 2007 17:51 #6 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
I would go for the sixty, the extra volume will make it easier to keep the ammonia, nitrates and nitrites down when you are treating fish without a filter. Other wise you will be changing water daily in a smaller tank and this will reduce the meds in the water if using any and therefore you have to reapply the amount you removed and so forth.

Plus, 90% of the time hospital tanks turn into fry tanks.... Its better to pay that little bit extra just in case.

More
30 Mar 2007 18:44 #7 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton)
Ok...that makes alot of sense then!

I'll see what dad is willing to get, and what mum is willing to stand!!

Any suggestions on the company to go for?

Does the hospital tank have to be cycled and ammonia added each day (when not in use) or when its required can it just be filled, dechlorinated, brought to correct temp, filter sponge from established tank added to filter in hospital tank and thats it?

(I'm asking because you say it can be stored away!)

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
30 Mar 2007 19:04 #8 by Valerie (Valerie)
It seems to have worked so far ... (I am still quite new on the fishkeeping scene and I hope I will not make anyone cringe :wink: ) : when required, I fill the 25l tank with water from the main tank and change approx. 10% of the water every day to keep the bad chemicals at bay.
Please, anyone, let me know if this method is acceptable or if there is a better way.
Thanks.
Valerie

More
30 Mar 2007 20:38 #9 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton)
O from my reading so far tonight...and this morning (may I add that since dad got this tank I go to bed about 4 in the morning....reading about fish until then!! and testing the water during cycle!!)

Anyways....I have read that you should keep an extra filter in your main tank. A simple sponge filter is enough. When you need to set up a hospital tank you transfer water from the main tank and bring across a heater and the sponge filter which should contain the necessary bacteria...giving you a fully cycled tank...immediately! :)

Small water changes each day is necessary, em...and from what I have heard tonight some person was washing their filter in tap water!! Wouldn't advise that!!

My search is ongoing for a tank...found two or three on the buy and sell 75L for €75. Just wonder if its any good!

More
31 Mar 2007 02:57 #10 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
That sounds like a fair price of a 75lt tank! Do they come with all the bells and whistles or is that just the price for the tank?

More
31 Mar 2007 03:13 #11 by JohnH (John)

Anyways....I have read that you should keep an extra filter in your main tank. A simple sponge filter is enough. When you need to set up a hospital tank you transfer water from the main tank and bring across a heater and the sponge filter which should contain the necessary bacteria...giving you a fully cycled tank...immediately!

Yes, but that will be a fully cycled tank without fish...as soon as you put fish into the tank the build-up of ammonia and subsequent 'undesireables' from their presence will be more than that filter will be able to cope and the system might well overload (probably better to say WILL overload).

If you did do it this way you would need to feed VERY sparingly (not an easy thing to do with new fish) until good bacteria has built up...by which time you should have discovered that they're OK and put them into your main tank - then your quarantine tank gets washed out ready for the next time you buy new fish...and it all starts again.

If at all possible my suggestion would be to keep your quarantine tank running all the time with a small population of hardy fish - you'll still get a build up of ammonia etc, but it shouldn't be quite so pronounced.

That's my suggestion, but almost everyone has differing views - that's what makes the forum so good...hearing them!

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds