Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Long Shallow Tank.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • stretnik (stretnik)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Jul 2011 12:44 #1 by stretnik (stretnik)
Long Shallow Tank. was created by stretnik (stretnik)
I have seen long andshallow Tanks in Gav's, they were for Snakes but I'd love to keep a Six footer so I could enjoy a large shoal of Cardinals, Rummies or dwarf Cories do their thing... Other than finding suitable stock lighting or covers etc, are there any other difficulties lurking in keeping such Tanks?

Here's a link and Pic to give an idea of what I'm thinking of.

www.aquariumlife.com.au/showthread.php/9...t-and-long-nano-tank

Kev.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 Jul 2011 20:08 #2 by Gavin (Gavin)
should be no problems.I'ts all still down to appropriate filtration vs' stock and water volume.

dont make me come over there.

More
17 Jul 2011 20:14 #3 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
dose look the business alright id say a lot off Cardinals in the setup would be mind blown

sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • stretnik (stretnik)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Jul 2011 21:26 #4 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: Long Shallow Tank.
I loved the look of the ones Gav at FFF had made for a customer, Other decent LFS can probably make them too but his was the first place I have seen one in the flesh, if I knew what I was doing in the future I think I'd have a go but my plans are on hold due to poor health of a Family member but I will, at some time , give one a go although Furniture for it won't be straight forward, damn I'd love to give it a go..

Kev.

More
18 Jul 2011 09:32 #5 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
That would be a sweet tank for shoaling fish mate, a six footer would look amazing with the stock you have in mind swimming up and down all day. Also, imagine the fun you of all people would have planting that thing ;).

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

More
18 Jul 2011 12:06 #6 by Gavin (Gavin)
I've done one of these in an old house i used to live in..one of the plus sides is the light doesn't have far to get to the bottom so growing carpeting plants is well easier. ;)

dont make me come over there.

More
07 Oct 2011 13:00 #7 by BillG (Bill Gray)
The tank in the pic show looks amazing Kev,

I have been toying with the idea of creating a tank myself, not quite so shallow, was looking into an 8' tank of perhaps 12" to 15" deep. Thinking of setting up so its got quite a flow in the water but in one direction only and populating with fast moving shoaling fish.
To that end after a lot of research, I came across this idea for the set-up of a river tank - www.loaches.com/articles/river-tank-manifold-design
This set-up was intended for hillstream loach. I am sure with the correct flow rates and some thoughtful aquascaping, rocks could be used to create slower spots of water and allow plants to flourish as they would in a river. Would also provide the fish with a place to sit out of the current.
I am sure the species you mention would look great tearing about in the currents in such a set-up. Obviously requires a bit of research on species of both Fish and plants. Have the plans drawn up for the tank, now trying to decide if its a DIY Glass or Acrylic tank I want. Also working on the calculations for the water flow rate so i can get suitable power heads to drive the set-up.
Thinking of going with the acrylic option as I could integrate the whole set-up while building and bond the undergravel pipework in place. Also thinking of building an overflow onto the end of the tank rather than the sponges on the return pipes as shown in the link. This way I could have the overflow spill into a filter bed and draw the return water from the bottom of it eliminating the necessity for a separate filtration system.
Has anyone out there set up a river tank? would be interested in your feedback and inputs if you have any direct experience of such a set-up. Definitely interested in hearing about planting and fish options for such a set-up.

BillG

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds