Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Optiwhite 36 Inch X 12 Inch X12 Inch 1/4 In Glass

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • stretnik (stretnik)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Oct 2011 19:12 - 16 Oct 2011 19:59 #1 by stretnik (stretnik)
Optiwhite 36 Inch X 12 Inch X12 Inch 1/4 In Glass was created by stretnik (stretnik)
Just wondering, seen as I have had it made, will it be safe, I have had input from some People, knowledgeable at that, but the Net seems to be all over the place regarding it's likelihood, or not, to crack, anyone any Ideas? It's filled now and the Floor covered with Visqueen Water Membrane......just in case.. I put the Membrane down after the Photos were taken...duh, I won't be running for President !

Your thoughts? I love how this looks, it's crisp and clean and very minimal distortion.

Kev
Last edit: 16 Oct 2011 19:59 by stretnik (stretnik).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 Oct 2011 19:23 #2 by mickdeja (Mick Whelan)
Lovely lookin tank Kev. What are yer concerns?

Follow me up to Carlow

More
16 Oct 2011 19:28 #3 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
Shes a buet kev got a cube opti white on saturday very nice tanks.what you going to put in it

at the end of the day it becomes nite

More
16 Oct 2011 19:29 #4 by Darren s (Darren smithers)
I'm guessing cause there is no bracing on the tank? Lovely tank though hope it works out for ye :)

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Oct 2011 19:55 #5 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: Optiwhite 36 Inch X 12 Inch X12 Inch 1/4 In Glass
Mick, my worries are using a Rimless under 8 mm thick, the dimensions from front to back and top to bottom are very small so rigidity shouldn't be a problem, I have checked with a reliable straight edge and as far as I can see, there is no bow on either side, not even slight.

Someone I trust implicitly here on the Forum has voiced concerns as to it being ok, that's why I am worried but having done the calculator thingie on The Planted Tank and had replies from the guys there I am none the wiser, some say catagorically that it's perfectly safe others say it should be 8 mm to 10 mm.

Craig, I adore how they look, as I was filling it I could see the difference, the Water glistened and the transparency was immediately noticable, I do know , however that the Glass does scratch more easily so be careful.

I have about 20 Emerald Danio, 20 Galaxy Danio and 10 Rasbora kubotai and a dozen Amano Shrimp ready to go in, I have been Cycling a Filter with the intention of an easy and early transfer, I have been lucky doing this before and the bio load with these Fish is small. I intend using Oliver Knott and a lot of dwarfish planting with some nicely shaped Sandstone, I'm just trying to keep my mind busy.

@Darren, Yep, no brace, wonky Teeth lol, this seems to be the in thing at the moment with ADA on the scene with overhead Luninaires etc so it's a weird feeling looking at Tanks with no Braces so let's see how she goes.

Kev.

More
16 Oct 2011 20:06 #6 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
Pm me your number kev lost most my numbers

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Oct 2011 20:27 #7 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: Optiwhite 36 Inch X 12 Inch X12 Inch 1/4 In Glass
Done.

Kev.

More
16 Oct 2011 22:17 #8 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)
Optiwhite seems to be the buzz word lately have you seen the one in seahorse kev its amazing..
And do you think in ten years all tanks will be optiwhite? Well most of them ;)

Mark

More
16 Oct 2011 22:19 #9 by Darren s (Darren smithers)
Haha ah it really does look cool though even the glass is deadly how clear it is. Make sure ye have plenty of pics of it when it's finished sounds like it will be A cracker.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Oct 2011 22:35 - 16 Oct 2011 22:38 #10 by stretnik (stretnik)
@ Mark, Yep, I think it will be, especially in Marines, the true colours will be seen, I find it hard to believe Juwell etc will go down that route though, at the moment I think that they will be made to order until such time that the demand gets big enough to bring the prices down but for the foreseeable future, given the Economy, it'll be a while. I did see the one in SH and it's sweet, the clear Glass also allows for spectacular opportunities for some really good Photography too.

@ Darren, will do, it's rare that something in the Fishie World gets me excited but this looks like it could inject a little ooomph into what had become a tad boring of late.

Kev.

Kev.
Last edit: 16 Oct 2011 22:38 by stretnik (stretnik).

More
16 Oct 2011 22:49 #11 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
Have to say im loving opti white at the moment

Attachments:

More
More
16 Oct 2011 23:02 #13 by des (des)
nice tank Kev
like the sound of what's going in to it aswell
hope she holds for Ya

what's all this optiwhite talk, I haven't heard anything about it, is it some sort of new type of glass or aquarium or something ???

Des

More
16 Oct 2011 23:05 #14 by des (des)

Here's seahorse's

deadly looking
Darren does lovely set ups, so he does...

Des

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Oct 2011 23:13 - 16 Oct 2011 23:18 #15 by stretnik (stretnik)
Thanks Des.

Optiwhite is a type of Glass, it has no Iron in it and subsequently it is many times clearer, on it's side , it looks blue and not your typical Green, ADA, Amano's company started using them for his Planted Tanks and ADA Optiwhite Aquariums are really expensive.

Seahorse are doing ADA Tanks and equipment and it is sexier than something that is really sexy !

Kev.
Last edit: 16 Oct 2011 23:18 by stretnik (stretnik).

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Oct 2011 23:33 #16 by stretnik (stretnik)
Here are 2 Photos, iPhone Camera, after Condensation evaporated and with Light on in darkened Kitchen.

I'm leaving it on the Table over night , it's very sturdy, given there's over 200 lbs sitting on it, it should be !! So here's hoping to no bumps or cracking during the night. :cool:

Kev.

More
17 Oct 2011 09:10 #17 by BillG (Bill Gray)
Hi Stretnik,

here is a calculator I have used in the past - www.theaquatools.com/building-your-aquarium?page=1
it is specifically for rimless designs and based on the dimensions of your tank you have a safety factor greater than 5. The thing to bear in mind is that the tank depth and not the volume is the critical factor.
You should be ok with the 6mm glass. The opti-white does look amazing.

Just a thought, with regard to the clarity of the tank, ever thought of going with acrylic? I know it is easily scratched etc, but the clarity of the material is excellent. can easily be made rimless for a tank of the same size as this with 8 to 10mm thickness and is actually cheaper than the opti-white glass too. Also with the new solvent bonding compounds available, the joins are effectively welded and therefore there are no internal silicon beads, just adds to the overall look of the tank IMO.

Cheers,

BillG

More
17 Oct 2011 11:46 #18 by PompeyBill (Killian Walshe)

Haha ah it really does look cool though even the glass is deadly how clear it is. Make sure ye have plenty of pics of it when it's finished sounds like it will be A cracker.

Maybe not the best choice of words given Kev's worries! :laugh:

Looks amazing though Kev, defnitely give us a load of pictures once you have it stocked. The clarity is so noticeable, you would wonder why tanks haven't been made of this for a long time!

More
17 Oct 2011 19:59 #19 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
really does look very well like the light unit u have for it cant wait to see it finished

sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Oct 2011 20:03 #20 by stretnik (stretnik)
Thanks, The scratch potential of Acrylic is the main detractor from using one.

Ta for the link.

Kev.

More
19 Oct 2011 15:36 #21 by mickdeja (Mick Whelan)
Any updates Kev on the opti tank?

Follow me up to Carlow

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Oct 2011 16:06 #22 by stretnik (stretnik)
Hey Mick,

I've let it in situ for the last few Days and all's well, no cracks or bows so I'll start the action over the Weekend.

Kev.

More
23 Oct 2011 08:16 #23 by mickdeja (Mick Whelan)
Delighted for ye Kev. Beautiful tank man. Keep us posted now. :cheer:

Follow me up to Carlow

More
23 Oct 2011 12:34 - 23 Oct 2011 12:39 #24 by AquaticGardenDan (Daniel Madziag)
Love Your tank !! I've got OptiWhite 27l cobe on my own and there is nothing beather then OptiWhie tanks :)
I'm so in love with them :) :angel:

Is it 10 or 12 mm ticknes ?
If that be mine i will put some suport bars on top of front and back glass and meaybe a conecting bar betwen front and rear glass, cracks might come with time in few months or a year time and that will be a shame :(
Last edit: 23 Oct 2011 12:39 by AquaticGardenDan (Daniel Madziag).

More
23 Oct 2011 12:47 #25 by AquaticGardenDan (Daniel Madziag)
I made a fast draw of what I'm talking about :)

blue is Your tank from the top,
red suport bars on front and back window,
ornge conecting bar,

File Attachment:

In most of cases the suporting bars do the job to suport the glass from bending.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Oct 2011 12:48 #26 by stretnik (stretnik)

Hi Stretnik,

here is a calculator I have used in the past - www.theaquatools.com/building-your-aquarium?page=1
it is specifically for rimless designs and based on the dimensions of your tank you have a safety factor greater than 5. The thing to bear in mind is that the tank depth and not the volume is the critical factor.
You should be ok with the 6mm glass. The opti-white does look amazing.

Just a thought, with regard to the clarity of the tank, ever thought of going with acrylic? I know it is easily scratched etc, but the clarity of the material is excellent. can easily be made rimless for a tank of the same size as this with 8 to 10mm thickness and is actually cheaper than the opti-white glass too. Also with the new solvent bonding compounds available, the joins are effectively welded and therefore there are no internal silicon beads, just adds to the overall look of the tank IMO.

Cheers,

As above, I have been in touch with the guys on the Planted Tank and used the various calculators and according to the majority, there is no problem with using 1/4 inch/ 5mm so it's a case of wait and see, the whole thing about ADA and Optiwhite Aquariums is the fact they are meant to be rimless and Braceless.

Kev.
BillG

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Oct 2011 12:53 #27 by stretnik (stretnik)
Don't know what the heck happened to my reply above , the Tank is 36 inches x 12 x 12 and a 1/4 inch or 6 mm thickness, I don't mean to be rude but most of us know what Rims/braces are, been at this a LONG Time.

Thanks for the advice though.

Kev.

More
23 Oct 2011 13:22 #28 by AquaticGardenDan (Daniel Madziag)

Don't know what the heck happened to my reply above , the Tank is 36 inches x 12 x 12 and a 1/4 inch or 6 mm thickness, I don't mean to be rude but most of us know what Rims/braces are, been at this a LONG Time.

Thanks for the advice though.

Kev.

No problem :)

no offence taken :)
I tought that the tank is bigger, I just calculate it and its 100cm x 35cm , I will use 8 mm glass, but 6 should be good too,

Thanks too You I learn how you call those suports :crazy: :silly:

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Oct 2011 14:23 #29 by stretnik (stretnik)
No probs, best of luck in your Business.

Kev.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
26 Oct 2011 16:37 #30 by stretnik (stretnik)
Update, I will be reducing the water level in order to start planting, I'm using an Eheim classic 600, a tad overkill so a question, will reducing the flow via the stop valves affect the function of the motor?, I don't want to do any damage.

Kev.

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds