Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Tank Idea.!!!!

More
25 Apr 2007 15:18 #1 by zale (Mark carroll)
I can't seem to make up my mind, first I asked ye to pick my tank then I was going for an eheim tank cause the first ones weren't big enough now I've a different idea.

I'm converting the garage, the garage doors are being replaced with a window. Now I was thinking of building or getting someone to build a freshwater tank under the window the full width of the room. Very very ruff drawing below.

the tank itself will be 200cm x60 x60 & the 45cm at either end are storage made of wood for the filtration etc. But because it's so low the hood would have to be able to take some weight in case the kids climbed up & the glass strong enough too.

I apologize if it very vague but it's still just an idea so feed back would be really appreciated. The window and flooring haven't gone in yet so measurements are just approx. Am I just asking for trouble with this.

Any ideas how thick the glass would have to be, if it would work. What equipment I'd need. How & from what would I construct the hood.

Also do you know of any links to a similar build or someone to build the feckin thing.

Oh and what do you reckin it would cost :roll:

Mark

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2007 15:41 #2 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Wouldnt be cheap!!
Not really thought much about the rest of it,but as far as a hood that was strong enough to support kids,you could possibly build it from plywood,and have it sitting on a frame that was AROUND the tank,NOT touching or putting any weight on the tank itself,that would be asking for trouble.My mate has a 6x3.5x2ft tank thats hood is made from ply.Its quite handy as you can screw small hooks into it for holding any cables,hoses,equipment,etc.
Good luck and keep us posted.

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

• iffymike (iffymike)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Apr 2007 15:54 #3 by iffymike (iffymike)
Replied by iffymike (iffymike) on topic Re: Tank Idea.!!!!
Hi Zale, you say the flooring isnt in yet, i recon thats your first concern, a tank that size would need to be on a solid floor, the tank alone waterwise is 720 Ltrs, rough conversion is around the 700 Kilo of water, plus, then the rocks substrate and light fittings, and mainly weight of tank.
But apart from all that go for it, theres places will build your tank for you, someone will help you there, at least 12 mm toughened glass, and why not incorporate some razor wire and an electric fence keep the kids off :lol: (joking) but you could design it to make it very difficult for the kids to climb on depending on there size.

More
25 Apr 2007 16:00 #4 by Acara (Dave Walters)
How about no hood and that lovely shoal of wild red belly pirhana Drew has for sale?Might be enough to stop the kids climbing up :lol: :lol:

Have a chat to Gerard,go to the sponsors section and water world,he does all sizes of tanks.

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
25 Apr 2007 17:00 #5 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
I agree with Mike and Dave. Sounds expenisve and would be hard to kid proof.

Regards,

Ken.

More
25 Apr 2007 17:28 #6 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
My two cent: It seems like a lot of money to spend on a tank that will have reduced viewing, i.e. low position under the window. Also if the tank is going to be on the ground or near enough to the ground it is not the kids climbing on it that I would be concerned about it is more along the lines of the front pain being smashed in with a flying foot, plastic toy, ball, "shovel"....etc

Lead me not into temptation, For I can find it myself!

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
26 Apr 2007 00:56 #7 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Tank Idea.!!!!

Hi Zale, you say the flooring isnt in yet, i recon thats your first concern, a tank that size would need to be on a solid floor, the tank alone waterwise is 720 Ltrs, rough conversion is around the 700 Kilo of water, plus, then the rocks substrate and light fittings, and mainly weight of tank.

A litre of water weighs 1kg so you will have 720 kg there. Plus the weight of the glass, rocks, etc. Roughly you are looking at 900kgs.
This shouldn't be a problem for your floor since I assume it's concrete.
Wahtever about the problem with the hood constrution but do you think the fish will like kids banging the front of the tank.

More importantly you have to consider the safety of your kids. If one goes through the front of the tank you will be looking at serious injuries and no tnak is worth that. We all would like a tnak or two more but once the health of your kids comes into it, it's not worth it.

Besides, it would be a bitch to clean. Try syphoning off water at the same level as the tank :D

More
26 Apr 2007 02:01 #8 by monty (monty)
Replied by monty (monty) on topic Re: Tank Idea.!!!!
It's all possible as long as there is a frame around the tank to take the weight if the kids climbed on top, but I'd be more concerned that they would kick the front pane when doing so. Don't know about you but my kids have various toy prams, cars and other devices they seem to be able to propel across a room at a fair speed .... and thats when there is no tantrum. I wouldn't do it - problem waiting to happen, in my house anyway

Monty

• Visitor
  • Visitor
26 Apr 2007 02:09 #9 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
@Monty
That was my argument exactly. Kids going through the front of the tank. Never mind a few dead fish and a sh*tload of water on the floor. Your kids could get seriously injured and possibly killed. A cracked front pane of glas exploding outwards with all that water pressure can drive broken glass deep into body tissue.

Holger

More
26 Apr 2007 09:37 #10 by zale (Mark carroll)
just talking to the brother (carpenter) over the phone, we didn't go into to much detail, leaving that for the w'end over a few beers, (any excuse)

But we reck'n if the storage either side was 10-20mm higher than the tank, he has an old oak table he can cut to size that won't bend over the 2m.

The flooring is concrete with laminate or solid wood going down.

Viewing angle - if I did put in a sofa the room is big enough to keep it back a good bit, but I was going to put in 5-6 bean bags (I'm still beanbag capable for 10-15 yrs)

As far as Kid proofing goes, nothing is really kid proof. I'm really only concerned with the 2yr old daughter, but I was thinking of a decorative wooden stripe in front of the tank to stop or slow down a toy zipping across the floor. As far as flying toys are concerned they can hit a tank on a stand just as easy as one on the ground.

I think the only knock back would be price as I would have to get tough/thick glass to be on the safe side.

Thanks for all the replies, still open to suggestions :wink:

Mark

• Visitor
  • Visitor
27 Apr 2007 02:00 #11 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
The constructution is not the problem. However, running children banging into your tank is. I wouldn't put a tank there since I would be afraid of a child actually going through thetank. Don't mind toys, the worst they do is to break your tank and end up with a couple of dead fish and a ruined floor. A severaly injured child on the other hand is a serious issue. Wait till they are older and then you are ok to built the tank.

Another issue you will have is how to clean the tank and perform water changes. I don't really see a practical solution to the issue.

More
29 Apr 2007 03:19 #12 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
Replied by Sean (Fr. Jack) on topic Re: Tank Idea.!!!!
You could put a skin a safety glass 10 cm in front of the actual glass, there comes a pont whan a tank needs to built from hollow blocks similar to the ones used in a house construction, which is filled with concrete and steel support tubes, leaving just a hole for the front glass, then the hole thing is fibre glassed for moviment then the single front gless is inserted with a lot of silione in the inside wall, then on the outer wall a safety glass is installed for safety.

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
30 Apr 2007 03:24 #13 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
I don't know what your budget is but sfety glass ain't cheap. You still would have to resolve the cleaning issue

More
30 Apr 2007 04:26 #14 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
Replied by Sean (Fr. Jack) on topic Re: Tank Idea.!!!!
Yes I agree its expensive and the out skin would need to be able to be slipped out for maintenance.

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

More
30 Apr 2007 14:10 #15 by zale (Mark carroll)
Holger,
The budget would be about €2,000 less if I can help it, but if I'm getting something I really like I don't mind waiting for a while & increasing the budget. And for cleaning I was thinking of using something like the python gravel cleaner.

@Jack
Thats exactly what I was thinking of, trying to incorporate it is the problem.

Mark

More
30 Apr 2007 16:33 #16 by Deeco (Deeco)
Replied by Deeco (Deeco) on topic Re: Tank Idea.!!!!
If your converting why don't you try build into the wall, You could use a couple of concrete blocks as support and surrond with plaster board
I use a swimming pool pump for water changes bought it in lidl for 50-60 euro
pumps straight out to shore
you could get a cast iron stand done and build around with wood

You know yourself

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds