Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Removing bracing?

More
10 Mar 2012 14:51 #1 by SSS (Sion S)
Hi just wondering if anyone could give me some advice about this.
I have a small clearseal 18x10x10 tank about 30L and was wondering if it would be safe to remove
the front or if possible both braces from the front and back?
Its only a small tank but if I can remove the bracing without any negative results it will be a nice
little rimless tank.
Safe or not?

I can put up a pic if thats any help.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2012 15:02 #2 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
If the tank was made with these braces in place, then there is probably some structural need for them and removing them might put adverse stress and strain on the structure of the tank.

Stuart.

Multi tasking: Screwing up more than one thing at a time.

More
10 Mar 2012 15:11 #3 by SSS (Sion S)
Replied by SSS (Sion S) on topic Re: Removing bracing?
Yeah thats what I was thinking but its only 30 litres with 5mm glass,
just don't know whether to chance it or not.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Mar 2012 15:18 #4 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: Removing bracing?
If there's any degree of chance then don't, 5 mm is very thin, I was nervous about my Optiwhite at 6 mm but it was made as a rimless Tank, clearseal have reinforcement there for a reason, don't risk it.

Kev.

More
10 Mar 2012 15:21 #5 by SSS (Sion S)
Replied by SSS (Sion S) on topic Re: Removing bracing?
Fair enough I think I'll leave it so.
I'm setting up a little nano saltwater tank so wouldn't be too happy if it cracked or worse.
Thanks lads.

Time to create page: 0.036 seconds