Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Tank Hood Flap slamming shut

More
17 Mar 2012 14:38 #1 by ghart (Greg Hart)
The Clearseal Hood Flap on my 5 foot tank slammed down today and gave me and my fish a right fright. :pinch: These hoods are very heavy and there is a design fault where the 10inch hoof flat will stay up when raised but is always in danger of slamming down whe not attended for a few seconds.
My concern is it causing damage to the tank integrity when the flap slams shut of its own accord. :(
I am sure others on the forun have experienced this problem.
What is the best solution to preventing this occuring again.
I was thinking of some type of retaining bracket but need advise on the best type.

Any help would be appreciated.

Greg

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 Mar 2012 15:36 #2 by davejcollins (David Collins)
Shut on my fingers one time :crazy:
I have mine near a wall so I have a little hook on the wall and some string attached to the hood so I just attach the string to the hook. It's a crude solution but works ok for me. I was nervous about it since day 1 .... Especially when I was lening into the tank :laugh:

More
17 Mar 2012 16:17 #3 by jwm (sean sean)
Google hinge dampers. the lid will drop but slows right down before closing. There availabe ikea. Stick a pic up of the hinge on the tank ill give ya a size for the damper.

A person who surrenders when he is WRONG, is HONEST. A person who SURRENDERS when not SURE, is WISE. A person who surrenders even if he is RIGHT, is a HUSBAND.

More
17 Mar 2012 17:31 #4 by ghart (Greg Hart)

Thanks JWM :)
I will look for these hinge dampers next time I am in a hardware shop.

Greg
Attachments:

More
17 Mar 2012 22:11 #5 by BillG (Bill Gray)
Hi Greg,

you can also get dampers to stop the lid slamming closed, they are designed for stopping kitchen / cabinet doors slamming shut. They are basically a small piston damper, they would attach to the front of the hood and if the lid flap falls, they will halt the fall when the lid is almost closed. I can post a pic of the dampers later. I know a few places where you will get them. Not sure if the likes of B&Q would stock them.
Alternatively, you could try a pressurised piston similar to those used to hold your car boot open. I have a few of these that may suit if you wish to try them.
Cheers,

Bill.

More
18 Mar 2012 10:55 #6 by ghart (Greg Hart)
Thanks Bill.
If you can post a picture of the item it would be great.
The hinge dampner will not work as the hinges on the hood are not designed that way.
I have a strip of wood now that I use to hold the hood flap in place while open.

Greg

More
18 Mar 2012 13:16 #7 by BillG (Bill Gray)
Hi Greg,

I have attached pics of the dampers, first one shows a complete unit mounted in a cabinet, the second shows an individual damper housing and the third shows the piston from inside the housing. They come in 2 parts, the housing is held in place with 2 screws and the piston slots in then. The pistons can be bought on their own so easily replaced if you ever need to :) The overall dimensions of these dampers is approx 35mm wide and 55mm long
I also have a few piston struts similar to the ones in the pic posted by Drcao, they are heavy duty ones. You are welcome to a pair of them if you want to try them, however I think one would be enough given that they are heavy duty.

Cheers,

Bill.
Attachments:

More
18 Mar 2012 20:36 #8 by ghart (Greg Hart)
Thanks Bill for the pictures and the offer.
I will have a look at my options on this problem and let you know.

Thanks guys for the suggestions,

Greg

More
17 Apr 2012 13:25 #9 by BillG (Bill Gray)
Hi Greg,

did you get the problem with the hood sorted?

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds