Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Tank size for adult arowana

More
16 Apr 2012 13:42 #1 by Ski (Alan McGee)
Hi guys,

I'm looking at upgrading my tank and was wondering what would be the minimum tank size that could house an adult arowana comfortably for life?

I was looking at maybe a 8' * 2.5' * 2.5' but is 2.5' too narrow considering they can get to 3'? Also priced a 3' wide tank but it was a bit crazy!

Will have to get a stand as well to keep the wife happy so money is a factor.

Thanks for the help,

Alan.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2012 14:01 - 16 Apr 2012 14:02 #2 by davey_c (dave clarke)
min would be 8'by3' but think of the turning space required... a 3foot aro would imo need a bit extra than a 3foot wide tank...

why not build a plywood tank??

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768
Last edit: 16 Apr 2012 14:02 by davey_c (dave clarke).

More
16 Apr 2012 14:18 #3 by BillG (Bill Gray)
Agree with Davey_c, the minimum would be 8'x3'.However, to allow for the size of a fully grown Arowana you would need to go bigger. Any of the research I have done on the subject suggests you want at least 3 times the length of the fish in tank length and at least 1.5 times the fish length in the width of the tank. So realistically for a 3' Arowana, that would be a 9' to 10' x 4.5' tank :ohmy: probably 3' depth
I think a plywood or concrete tank with a glass front would be the only way to go.

More
16 Apr 2012 14:46 #4 by Ski (Alan McGee)
Sorry for the stupid question but what's a plywood tank and how would you build one?

More
16 Apr 2012 14:56 #5 by mossy (gavin blanchfield)
i built a 12x3x3ft plywood tank for my big cichlids and cats
think theres a thread somewhere on the forum here
have to build another 1 in dublin next week as a display tank in a shop
the only way to go as you would need 25mm glass for a tank that size

More
16 Apr 2012 15:07 #6 by Ski (Alan McGee)
Right so this is going to be a huge job.

Wanted this tank in the sitting room but might be too big for it now.

Does a plywood tank have wood on the 3 sides and then glass on the front?

Is it built on a stand or a concrete foundation?

Not sure how i'm gonna convince the wife into this!! Just got her sold on the 8' * 2.5'!!

More
16 Apr 2012 15:23 #7 by davey_c (dave clarke)
mossy are you making a build thread for that tank in dublin... if its the same build i've been told about (and i've only heard of the 1 which i thought was in kildare :unsure: ) its gonna be quite interesting :)

ski, mossy can be a wealth of info on the subgect but also there is alot of info over the net on the building pro's and con's along with loads of build threads that can give you a great pictorial guide and insight before you make your mind up on the project :)

dave

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

More
16 Apr 2012 15:32 #8 by mossy (gavin blanchfield)

Right so this is going to be a huge job.

Wanted this tank in the sitting room but might be too big for it now.

Does a plywood tank have wood on the 3 sides and then glass on the front?

Is it built on a stand or a concrete foundation?

Not sure how i'm gonna convince the wife into this!! Just got her sold on the 8' * 2.5'!!

you will need a sump system for a tank that size so you will need a stand and put your filter inside
if you want a room divider so you can see through the tank from say sitting room and dining room you could do the bottom and both ends in ply and the frame the 2 sides in glass.if your putting it along a wall the bottom,back and 2 ends will be ply and the front viewing will be glass

More
16 Apr 2012 15:34 #9 by mossy (gavin blanchfield)

mossy are you making a build thread for that tank in dublin... if its the same build i've been told about (and i've only heard of the 1 which i thought was in kildare :unsure: ) its gonna be quite interesting :)

ski, mossy can be a wealth of info on the subgect but also there is alot of info over the net on the building pro's and con's along with loads of build threads that can give you a great pictorial guide and insight before you make your mind up on the project :)

dave

hi davey
its going to be a display tank in a new aquarium shop in dublin thats opening shortly
will take some pics with my phone and sort out a build thread for ya

More
16 Apr 2012 15:46 #10 by Ski (Alan McGee)
Thanks for putting a spanner in the works lads, i have to go and build a swimming pool now :)

Thanks for the info though and good suggestions with the plywood and concrete. Looking at it now on the web and there seems to be a good bit out there alright on building them.

Priced an 8' * 3' tank and it was a crazy price so this might offer a better solution.

Thanks again,

Alan.

More
16 Apr 2012 15:47 - 16 Apr 2012 15:48 #11 by davey_c (dave clarke)
thats the one i thought it was and i was wundering who got the task of building it :)
cheers for that mate :cool:

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

Last edit: 16 Apr 2012 15:48 by davey_c (dave clarke).

More
16 Apr 2012 17:18 #12 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
ski get onto petra in aquapaws they have a guy who custom builds tanks very reasonably priced, worth checking out first

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
16 Apr 2012 18:52 #13 by Ski (Alan McGee)
Will do thanks. I'm completely useless at DIY so I'd be afraid to see what kind of tank I'd build!

• MichaeLO (MichaeLO)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Aug 2012 18:06 #14 by MichaeLO (MichaeLO)
Replied by MichaeLO (MichaeLO) on topic Re: Tank size for adult arowana
..lol....i have 4ft(120cm)tank and looking for upgrade to 5ft long by 2ft,2ft high....i got LED light system 167 white leds+16 blue(moonlight)up to 140 cm tank>>>>20watt<<<<<< for 140eu.I recommend 5ft by 2ft<<<<<or longer....

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Aug 2012 18:41 #15 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: Tank size for adult arowana
Arabu aka Adrian, built a lovely one not too long ago for his Fish House, he did an A1 job on it too, you could pm him.

Kev.

• MichaeLO (MichaeLO)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Aug 2012 19:37 #16 by MichaeLO (MichaeLO)
Replied by MichaeLO (MichaeLO) on topic Re: Tank size for adult arowana
TY but..hmm?..how to know *Topic is closed ?

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds