Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Tank placement

More
21 Apr 2012 14:06 #1 by Ski (Alan McGee)
Hi guys,

Going to be upgrading my community tank and thinking about where to put it. Would it be ok to put it in front of a radiator? Would it affect the wood or tank structure at all?

Thanks,

Alan.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Alex (Alex)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Apr 2012 14:32 #2 by Alex (Alex)
Replied by Alex (Alex) on topic Re: Tank placement
Id be more worried that the heat from the radiator would raise the temp of the tank... Ya dont wont temp fluctuations in the tank every time the radiator is on and off...

More
21 Apr 2012 15:27 #3 by paulcavan (Paul Gileoold)
alex is right the temp could fluxuate with the radiator ya might have to rethink :pinch:

More
21 Apr 2012 15:30 #4 by Ski (Alan McGee)
Replied by Ski (Alan McGee) on topic Re: Tank placement
Thanks guys, yes will have to rethink alright!

More
21 Apr 2012 16:31 #5 by jwm (sean sean)
Replied by jwm (sean sean) on topic Re: Tank placement
If your putting the tank in front of a rad your negating the rad itself as far as heat distribution is concerned. So just turn the rad down or off. Heat diferentiation from a rad on low/off would be minimal. My 2cents anyway.

A person who surrenders when he is WRONG, is HONEST. A person who SURRENDERS when not SURE, is WISE. A person who surrenders even if he is RIGHT, is a HUSBAND.

More
21 Apr 2012 18:57 #6 by m4r10 (m4r10)
Replied by m4r10 (m4r10) on topic Re: Tank placement
Maybe if you could use a reflective heat blanket/mat so the heat gets bounced back towards the wall, you can still have the tank where you want it.

More
21 Apr 2012 22:45 #7 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
if u can mate just turn the rad off done it plenty off times and was ok

although it did bug me a bit that the tank off standing out a bit as the rad was in the way

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving

More
23 Apr 2012 08:49 #8 by Ski (Alan McGee)
Thanks for all the info lads. I'm also considering getting a plumber to move the radiator. Gonna get a quote for the job later. I know it's a bit extreme but that's the only wall in the sitting room where the tank can go and would just really prefer to have it in there. It's the only radiator in there as well so we'd prob freeze in the winter with it covered up.

Will see how much it's gonna be before deciding. It's gonna be an 8 foot tank so just want to do it right because i don't want to go and try and move it again in the future.

Thanks again,

Alan.

More
23 Apr 2012 09:42 #9 by Xaribdis (Lorcan O' Brien)
Yeah, you definitely don't want to be moving a tank that size after placement! Love the way you're considering changing your house for your fish! I re-arranged a whole room to accommodate a tank- re-fitting a rad is a different level! Best of luck with whatever you decide.
LoB

More
23 Apr 2012 10:04 #10 by davey_c (dave clarke)
have relocated rads before myself i work on numerous ocassions and its not too big a deal providing there is somewhere to move it to without obstructions between :) . its the only option realy unless you are handy at diy to modify the stand to fit in around the rad, prividing the room is available inside the cabinate, it can look quite annoying if it stands to far from the walls. i think there is a manufacturers recommended distance to have your tank from a read to advoid these fluctuations which may be worth considering also.

best of luck with it and i also like your way of thinking with regards rearanging your house 1st :lol: :crazy:

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
23 Apr 2012 10:21 #11 by Ski (Alan McGee)
Ha ha thanks Davey

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds