Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Clearseal Aquarium Black Background

More
24 Apr 2012 20:18 #1 by ghart (Greg Hart)
Has any of the forum members tried to remove the black background from a new Clearseal aquarium.
My 5 foot Clearseal aquarium came with a black background though I had not requested it. :angry:
I'm wondering if there is a clean way of doing this without making a mess at the back of the aquarium. :( I would like to attach a picture background instead of what appears to be a painted black one.

Greg

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
24 Apr 2012 20:43 #2 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
i have the same tank myself mate but with clearseal the freshwater tanks come with a black one and the marine come with a blue one

i have not tired to remove it as it is wat i wanted anyway and if ya ask me i think they look best with black but that is just my liken

but after just after lookin at it befor i wrote this i dont think it would be a handy job abs as u say if it does come off wat would the tank be like when it is off?

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving

More
24 Apr 2012 20:48 #3 by BillG (Bill Gray)
Hi Greg,

if the background is definitely painted, then the only option is to remove using a blade with a good clean sharp edge, liquid soap and water. Wet a small area and use the blade to remove the paint. Keep the area you are working on wet and avoid the edges of the glass with the blade as it will damage the blade edge and can easily lead to scratching the glass. Leave the edges for last and check the blade regularly to ensure the edge is still straight and sharp to minimise the risk of scratching the glass.

It could be a plastic film which is held in place with a silicone based bonding agent, similar to Seaview. If this is the case, it should peel off easily enough. However, it can be a pain to get a start on the edges. If you use a blade right on the edge of the tank, you can determine if its a film type of background. No harm to go at the background on one of the bottom cornets to see, that way, if you scratch the glass, then your substrate will hide it from view :)

Good luck with it! will be a pain on that size of tank but you will get there :)

Cheers,

Bill.

More
24 Apr 2012 20:55 #4 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)

Hi Greg,

if the background is definitely painted, then the only option is to remove using a blade with a good clean sharp edge, liquid soap and water. Wet a small area and use the blade to remove the paint. Keep the area you are working on wet and avoid the edges of the glass with the blade as it will damage the blade edge and can easily lead to scratching the glass. Leave the edges for last and check the blade regularly to ensure the edge is still straight and sharp to minimise the risk of scratching the glass.

It could be a plastic film which is held in place with a silicone based bonding agent, similar to Seaview. If this is the case, it should peel off easily enough. However, it can be a pain to get a start on the edges. If you use a blade right on the edge of the tank, you can determine if its a film type of background. No harm to go at the background on one of the bottom cornets to see, that way, if you scratch the glass, then your substrate will hide it from view :)

Good luck with it! will be a pain on that size of tank but you will get there :)

Cheers,

Bill.

yeah Bill it is a plastic film well on my one anyway so i would say its the same

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving

More
25 Apr 2012 09:23 #5 by ghart (Greg Hart)
Thanks Bill/Sean,
I checked it last night and was able to get the corner started.
It is a plastic film thank God so it will be easy to remove :)

Though putting another background on using a Seaview seal may be difficult as the tank is in position and full. There is not a large amount of space at the back to work with.

Greg

Time to create page: 0.042 seconds