Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Tank Maintenance

More
24 Aug 2012 15:37 #1 by roealdo (j)
Tank Maintenance was created by roealdo (j)
I have a 3ft*2ft*2ft clearseal tank with a sump.

I never got the water as clean as I would like it. At this stage a big enough maintenance job to be done.

Can any one give advice as to how I should start. I want to get the water in the tank crystal clear. So what do I need to put in my sump. It has three chambers with a sock on the outfall.

The first chamber has 3 grades of filter. Which way should this be stacked? I have it course, medium, fine.

In chamber 2 there is some filter media.

In chamber 3 there has the return.

I have 2 wave makers (one just broke) to aid circulation.

Any advice on how to get crustal clear water?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2012 22:37 #2 by BillG (Bill Gray)
Replied by BillG (Bill Gray) on topic Tank Maintenance
Hi,

easy question first, the filter media should be arranged so the water flows through the media in the following order, Course, Medium and fine.
For clarification, you stated you have filter media in the second chamber, is this a biological media such as bio-balls or ceramic rings?
To get the water pristine, you could try to add some fine filter wool to the second chamber with the filter media. Depending on your sump set-up, you may want the filter wool over or under the filter media. Basically you want the water to flow through the media first, then the filter wool before entering the third chamber with the return pump. This wool will require changing on a weekly basis.

You can make some mods on the input to the sump too. Most people would recommend getting rid of the filter sock and replacing with a spray bar. Can’t find any good links at present, but you can google it and find lots of info. The idea of the spray bar is that its used to distribute the "raw" tank water over a thin bed of filter wool. This filter wool is simply placed in a shallow tray, approx 2 to 3 cm deep, with lots of holes in the bottom. The water from the tank enters the sump and most of the dirt, fish waste etc will not make it beyond this media. Its a lot more effective than the sock. The problem with the sock is they clog up and water pressure pushed waste through in the form of tiny particles. Again, you will need to change this filter wool regularly too. The advantage is that you can see clearly when it needs to be changed.

The filter wool is very expensive in fish shops, however there is a cheap alternative available. The material is polyester wool which is also used to fill "fibre" pillows :) so if you can get some cheap pillows in the likes of Pennys, the filling can be used in your tank. Just keep clear of any with a "Flame proof" label as the fire retardants used may prove toxic to your fish. A Good test before putting in your tank is to actually light a small sample of the material and ensure it burns completely.

Cheers,
Bill

More
08 Oct 2012 17:55 #3 by paulv (paul vickers)
great reply bill, im setting up my first sump and am open to any advise. i like the idea of the thin layer of wool to clean out all the big stuff first. a product i find is good to clear up cloudy water is API accu clear, its non chemical so cant do any harm to fish. and its cheap, a small bottle 118ml will treat 4500l and costs about a tenner.

Time to create page: 0.033 seconds