Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Stand DIY

More
19 Sep 2012 23:26 #1 by Xaribdis (Lorcan O' Brien)
Moving apartment soon, so was looking to replace the stand on my Betta 1300. The stand that comes with it is only made of MDF, so not too confident in it. Does anyone have any ideas on putting together a stand, or re-inforcing the curent one? I know a few of the sponsors make stands, but would be almost as cheap to replace the whole tank!
Any suggestions welcome.
LoB.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
20 Sep 2012 08:14 #2 by BillG (Bill Gray)
Replied by BillG (Bill Gray) on topic Stand DIY
Would be helpful to have some more details on the tank and stand you have. Is there a sump, as this would make a huge difference to a stand build. Can you post some pics of the stand you have, clearly showing the internal layout of the cabinet?
All the cabinets at this stage are made of either MDF or chipboard unless you are willing to lay out big money on a solid wood one. The stand you have may be perfectly ok as long as there is no water damage. I can make some solid suggestions on how to reinforce the cabinet once I see some additional detail and pics if possible.

Cheers,

Bill.

More
20 Sep 2012 22:30 - 20 Sep 2012 23:31 #3 by Xaribdis (Lorcan O' Brien)
Thanks for the reply, Bill. Here are a few shots of the stand and sump.

This is the layout of the stand.

i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y367/xaribd...2314_zpsf1fe15ba.jpg

And here are a few shots of the sump etc.

i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y367/xaribd...2315_zps16d6ea58.jpg

i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y367/xaribd...2316_zpsb78ea551.jpg

i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y367/xaribd...2317_zps2b3b1dd4.jpg

i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y367/xaribd...2318_zps43374344.jpg

Does this help at all?

The wooden beams are a bad DIY job I did myself. I was a bit worried about drilling the sides, so just used No More Nails. Reckon it did very little to actually support the tank, as I am mediocre, at best, as any kind of handyman!

LoB
Last edit: 20 Sep 2012 23:31 by Xaribdis (Lorcan O' Brien).

More
21 Sep 2012 08:31 #4 by BillG (Bill Gray)
Replied by BillG (Bill Gray) on topic Stand DIY
The pics help clear up some questions and concerns based on your original post. Unless you have water damage at any of the points where 2 of the panels are fixed together, I would say you are good to go with your existing stand. The weight of the tank is very well spread out over the ends, back and front centre panel of the stand, so on rick of not being able to support the weight. Also, the back of the stand provides a high level of rigidity to the stand so little or no risk of the stand collapsing.
Given that the stand is MDF, there are few options you would have for reinforcing anyway :( but I honestly don’t believe you need to reinforce it.

Cheers,

Bill.

Time to create page: 0.040 seconds